Match 16: Spain-Switzerland (Pre-Match)

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile' started by Pichi, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Durban - Moses Mabhida
    Wednesday kickoff
    16:00 Central European
    10am eastern/7am pacific U.S.

Recent form last six international results
    SPAIN: WWWWWW
    6-0 Poland (H)
    1-0 Korea Republic (N)
    3-2 Saudi Arabia (N)
    2-0 France (A)
    5-1 Austria (A)
    2-1 Argentina (H)

SWITZERLAND: WDLLLD
    1-1 Italy (H)
    0-1 Costa Rica (H)
    1-3 Uruguay (H)
    0-1 Norway (H)
    0-0 Israel (H)
    3-0 Luxembourg (A)

Last meeting
    2 July 1994
    FIFA World Cup in Washington D.C.

Spain 3-0 Switzerland
    1-0 Hierro 14'
    2-0 Luis Enrique 73'
    3-0 Beguiristáin (pen) 86'

History
    Matches: 18
    Spain wins: 15
    Switzerland wins: 0
    Draws: 3
    Goals scored: Spain 45, Switzerland 15​

2. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    I wonder if Torres will start and we go back to a 4-4-2 or we'll just have Mata or Pedro come in for Iniesta.

The tension is killing me, Spain is always in the last group of every tournament. :(

3. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    He will stick with the 4-2-3-1 which is what he plans to use throughout the tourney and what has been used in practice.

4. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    Well in the Confederations Cup he used a 4-4-2. He needs to have an alternate formation because playing a 4-2-3-1 against 'bunker' teams like Italy will not work.

Anyways, article on MARCA says this is the probable line-up:
    ----------------Casillas-------------------
    --Ramos---Puyol-------Pique---Capdevilla--
    ----------------Busquets-----------------
    -----------Xavi-----------Xabi------------
    ---Silva----------------------------Mata---
    ----------------David Villa-----------------

Iniesta might play, Del Bosque is still deciding. It would be stupid if he plays him, Swizterland's form speaks for itself.

5. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003

Iniesta wants to play, even if it is only for a half to get loose. Xabi is practically playing alongside Busquets and Xavi will push forward more into the hole, making the formation more accurately a 4-2-3-1.

The plan is to use these tactics, and if it is still 0-0 at the 60 minute mark, than bring in the more direct offensive weapons. By that time, the opposition should be tired of chasing around the Spanish players, and the game should be more open.

DB clearly wants to mitigate any counters by playing a double pivot. I agree with this. Coming out guns a blazing and getting stuck with a counter attack goal off that bat would be devastating in the knockouts. Xabi or Busquets cannot play at the back of the mid by themselves without giving chances to the opposition on the counter. Neither are Senna. It also frees up Xavi to go forward where he is more dangerous.

6. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Sounds good in theory but from what I see the two holding mids get into each others way, hopefully as the tournament goes along they will learn how to play it together.

7. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    Not only that, but have one striker makes it easy for the opposing defense to mark him out of the game. Having 2 strikers with the calibre of Villa and Torres keeps their hands full. I guess adding a 2nd striker when needed is plan B.

8. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Going back to the Euro and Confederations Cup, Spain has always played better in the 4-2-3-1 rather than the 4-4-2. No one dared however to bench one of either Villa or Torres, until now, where we have an injury as an excuse.

9. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i just don't get why spain would put defensive mids against the most defensive side in this world cup

10. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Del Bosque has been using this in all of his friendlies. Unless we are in need of a goal he will have this formation against every team he faces. I will say that Xabi Alonso is a great passer of the ball so he will still contribute in the offensive end.

11. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Spain isn't going to change their tactics game to game. They have a system and will stick to it. This is the system that will be used in the knock out rounds, so might as well go with it from the start. If they need more offense, they can make the changes in the 2nd half, which is what would happen in the knock out games too.

I see no point altering the tactics in the group stages, and then using a completely different set of tactics later. The World Cup is over in a flash, so you only change formations if what you have isn't working. This is the same tactics that put 6 past Poland in the friendly

12. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  13. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    For the first time in his life Philippe Senderos is going to play against Spain. This is significant for him because his Spanish father will be watching from the stands.

In the press conference; Senderos who was speaking in German, Italian, French, English and very good Spanish said "It is a special match for me. I'll be playing against Spain for the first time ever". He went on saying that he always spent his holidays in Spain and played football with his Spanish cousins.

14. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I don't know what the system of the swiss team will be tonight... 2 weeks ago it all looked like a 4-4-2 with Barnetta, Inler, Huggel, Behrami in midfield and Frei and Nkufo in attack. Now Frei and Berhami are out injured and Barnetta is not a fix starter any more...
    It could be either a 4-4-2 with Derdyiok in attack today or a 4-4-1-1 with either Derdyiok or Yakin behind Nkufo or a 4-2-3-1 with either Schwegler, Yakin or Barnetta in central midfield or a 4-1-4-1 with Huggel in front of the defense

So,it looks like
    Nkufo
    Gelson/Padalino/Barnetta - Schwegler/Yakin/Derdyiok/Barnetta - Barnetta/Shaqiri
    Huggel-Inler
    Ziegler-Grichting-Senderos-Lichtsteiner
    Benaglio

15. Mykez

Mykez New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Is Fernando Torres match fit? Is he gonna start?

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    4-0 to Spain. Sorry Swiss but your team is highly overrated.

17. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Full lineup not available but MARCA reporting that Iniesta is a-go and will be in the starting eleven.

18. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Starting lineup according to MARCA, yet to be confirmed by fifa.com:

[LINEUP-4-5-1]Villa, Iniesta, Silva, Busquets, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Capdevila, Puyol, Piqué, Sergio Ramos, Casillas[/LINEUP-4-5-1]

Substitutes:
    Reina, Valdés, Albiol, Marchena, Arbeloa, Javi Martínez, Cesc, Mata, Navas, Pedro, Torres, Llorente

19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    FIFA has posted both lineups.

Derdiyok starts ahead of Schwegler for Switzerland.

Spanish lineup I posted is confirmed.

20. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Marca put Magnin in the swiss starting line up:eek: never ever... he was not in the 23 and only selected last minute to replace the injured Spycher, but Hitzfeld would never let him play in this match... but we now that from Marca... remember the CL match between Zurich and Real when they put Zurich defenders in attack and attackers in defense in their line up and you always see it in their champions league lineups if they put players in the supposed starting XI which are injured since months even players from the best teams in Europe. But for Marca the world ends outside of Madrid anyway

21. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    MARCA's predicted lineups are often off base. I really never pay much attention to them and wait until they get the official lineups. ;)

22. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Please Espana. This WC is in need of another dominating performance and alot of people are looking up to you guys to bring the entertainment only Germany and Argentina have brought. Let's GO!

23. NV_1409

NV_1409 New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    I think Switzerland can get a draw.

24. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  25. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    You can get odds of 6-1 for the draw and 13-1 for a Swiss win in Australia. Everyone's expecting a massacre.