Match #15 - Portugal v. Ghana

Discussion in 'Group H - Portugal, Ghana, Uruguay, South Korea' started by soccernutter, Nov 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I missed this game like a dummie so ill rewatch it later after Brazil.

I see Penaldo has returned, he loves himself a good PK

2. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    so soft foul for Ronaldo as you said before but soft penalty isn’t allowed, which one is it?

NewLaw83 repped this.
  3. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    All you cry Babies Hoping Portugal would lose, truth is our defence had an off day which allowed Ghana into the game. Portugal with 3 pts and that’s all that matters

4. Romisirr

Romisirr Red Card

CSKA Sofia
    Bulgaria
    Nov 14, 2022
  5. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Truth is a phantom PK allowed you guys into the game.

Probably an overall justified result though.

6. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I told people this group will be tough.

To me Uruguay looks the worst team in the group.

This Ghana start has shades of their 2006 opener to Italy where they went on to win the next 2 games.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call it a "comedy of errors" for the 2 goals. May not have been the best defending, but Ghana certainly earned their goals.

Now that third, that was sloppy keeping and if not for the slip...

vancity eagle repped this.
  8. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    They were a joke. A direct result of a dumb coach playing a player at CB that does even play that position for league play. Both goals he looked really bad on as expected

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    We each see things through our own prisms I guess. The 2 goals I saw from Ghana both involved elementary mistakes that shouldn't happen at this level, much less for defenders who didn't have much to do all night otherwise.

10. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I'm sure the 40 year old would have been even worse.

11. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Actually yes he would have by far but we also have a very capable cb by the name of Silva that defended really well in the CL against PSG

Kamtedrejt and The Special One repped this.
  12. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    He has zero competitive caps, don't think he would have been any better.

Danilo plays CB for PSG.

JoseEmidio and artielange84 repped this.
  13. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    #113 vancity eagle, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    Ghana made FAR MORE elementary mistakes than Portugal in that match, even ones leading to Portugals goals. Of course VAR made also a mistake.

So yeah, "own prisms"

Cosmin10 repped this.
  14. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    With the notable difference that Argentina and Germany lost their respective games, while Portugal won.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  15. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    He started for Portugal in our last game and played well .

JoseEmidio repped this.
  16. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    The comments on this thread make it sound like Portugal lost the game. I know that many posters' apreciation of Portugal's performance is still largely biased by the Ronaldo-Messi's rivalry (that's now as outdated as the 2 players are irrelevant in today's football world), but although Portugal didn't crush GHana they were never trailing in the game.

JoseEmidio and NewLaw83 repped this.
  17. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Like the goal that was called back but Var never given a chance to make a ruling ? Many mistakes are done so because they are forced errors . If there are no errors in a game, there are no goals

NewLaw83 repped this.
  18. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Pretty much,

I just see some people trying to downplay Ghanas goals as if Portugals didn't come from horrible turnovers, and a complete failure to clear a ball that was right at the defender.

Frankly I thought the goals Ghana gave up were more avoidable.

19. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Portugal didn’t play well but deserved to win. Ghana didn’t have a touch in Portugal’s box the whole first half ffs

20. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I'm sure Portugal "not playing well" had nothing to do with Ghana.

Just a "bad day" right ?

I dont think Ghana was anywhere near their best either, quite sloppy a number of times.

Not having a touch in the first half is irrelevant. The game was about tactics which Ghana was doing well until Portugal got bailed out by the refs.

When Ghana needed to reply they did so quite easily

Cosmin10 and Hayaka repped this.
  21. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Perhaps the difference is that although Ghanean defenders committed errors, you deny that Portugal's 2 and 3 goals were also the result of class finishing, not just a defender giving it away. Also, blunders are more to expected from Ghana's defenders than from a high profile player like Cancelo.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  22. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I think it's pointless trying to discredit any of the goals.

It was a close game period. Anybody who thought it wasn't going to be doesn't really know football well.

23. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Ghana bunkered in the first half, knew that Portugal are a superior team, so even they acknowledged if they’d opened up as they did in that second half period Portugal would tear them to shreds. There’s nothing wrong with defensive tactics but don’t make it out like it’s easier to play a deep block than break one down, if you think that then you just don’t understand football.

Ghana player well to limit Portugal to sideways passing and Portugal didn’t go vertical enough until William came on. Once he started passing the ball straight and forward Portugal’s better players starting to play in between the lines which stretched Ghana.

JoseEmidio, Kamtedrejt and NewLaw83 repped this.
  24. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    There is a problem with this statement in that it makes it sound like the game could have gone either way, which clearly doesn't reflect the reality. Portugal didn't win 10 to nothing, but it was Ghana who was trailing 1-3 at one point, not Portugal. The fact that Ghana wasn't obliterated doesn't mean that should there have been a winner, that should have always been Portugal.

JoseEmidio and NewLaw83 repped this.
  25. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    There's no problem with the statement.

It was a close game until the refs gave Ronaldo a gift wrapped penalty just in time for the Holiday season.

Before that Portugal didn't look anything close to scoring. Ghana even screwed up a few breaks where they could have been clean through on goal with mote precision passing.

calabrese8 repped this.