Match 15: Honduras-Chile 16 June (Pre-Match)

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile' started by Pichi, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    A whole nother generation ago...

You build from here on out and expect improvement...to think everything will be great at this one after being out of the WC for so long is quite frankly unrealistic. But to each his own.

2. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Is Welcome going to play as a starter then?

3. BamBamZam1+8

BamBamZam1+8 Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Can't wait for this game!

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baby steps. In 1990, the US qualified for the first WC in 40 years. We went out in 3 horrible matches. The only positive was that we lost to Italy ONLY 1 to nil (I don't think we had a shot on goal). We were looking to the future. Look at WC2002 and now our result v. England.

Honduras has not qualified for 28 years. This was before how many players were born? As said, this is a totally different generation with a look to the future. In reality, the only weakness Honduras has is at 'keeper and that should mean re-qualification. Think of all the long term experience your players will get just because they are at this tournament.

1990, the US had only 1 non domestic based player. The rest were considered amateurs. Now we can call up a totally foreign based team. But it took 20 years for this to occur, and without the futbol history and passion of Honduras. This is a great step, and there is a possibility (based on the way other matches have gone) that Honduras could get a point or more from this match.

But I hope not. ;)

5. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    official...Our Suazo will only be at the bench.

6. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    This match would be extremely close if Honduras was at full strength. Damn shame what happened to them with injuries so close to the match with their best players. Equivalent of us losing Donovan, Dempsey and Howard. Go Honduras though!!!

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, with Leon and Costly out, and maybe Suazo, that's 3/5 of Honduras' best players (Palacios and Figueroa), and the dip to the others is significant.

Still, the Swiss aren't overwhelming and Chile should be vulnerable on the counter. There is still a chance.

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Georgie El Avatar Welcome, To the Rescue!!!

Honduras has a deep midfield thankfully. with Ramon, Dani and Hendry being able to step in, but you kinda miss the Garra Rambo and Costly brought to the table, and the unique skill they had. Rambo with his superb Freekicks and Costly with his Costlyinha (La Polaka) and his ability to score at will. They're both in my mind...the defintion of Garra Catracha. Puro Sangre Azul y Blanco.

9. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I think this will be an exciting game. I hope Honduras puts up a fight against Chile...who I think will be a surprise team at this world cup.

10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I love Costly, excellent player and its befuddling that he isn't at a bigger club in Europe. For the NT I'd rather have him than Suazo. I'd rather have Palacios of course than either of them though. By the way, any more news on how close to 100% he is? I'm assuming even at 70% he's starting right?

11. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Official lineup Honduras

Valladares, Osman Chavez, Figueroa, Ramón Núñez, Palacios, Pavón, Roger Espinoza, Edgar Alvarez, Amado, Izaguirre y Sergio Mendoza

12. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Formación de CHILE 100% confirmada:

Claudio Bravo;
    Mauricio Isla, Gary Medel, Waldo Ponce, Arturo Vidal;
    Carlos Carmona, Rodrigo Millar,
    Matías Fernández;
    Alexis Sánchez, Jorge Valdivia, Jean Beausejour.

DT: Marcelo Bielsa(ARG).

Suplentes:
    Luis Marín, Miguel Pinto;
    Ismael Fuentes, Pablo Contreras, Marco Estrada;
    Rodrigo Tello,
    Gonzalo Fierro, Esteban Paredes;
    Fabián Orellana, Humberto Suazo, Mark González.

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Vamos Catrachos!

14. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005