Match 13 - ITA : CRO - WEBB (ENG)

Discussion in 'Euro 2012: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 12, 2012.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, now that you've quoted my post, I realize my mistake. It was not in Poland. The sentiment still stands, though.

2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    You know I'm not saying that. I'm saying let the holding go until the ball is put in play and then blow the PK.

Look, Howard Webb is my not favorite referee, but I respect what he has accomplished. I'm not a fan of the way he manages games. I don't have a crusade against him. I'm just not a fan of him.

Webb is not the only referee to recently have done what he did in the Motta incident.

I'm not a fan of this tactic. I think it's frankly, cop out officiating. It's also not a deterrent. Players would rather take the yellow card then the penalty kick.

It seems that refs in Europe, have started doing this lately of cautioning the player holding and grabbing before a set piece is a taken instead of allowing the holding to continue and giving a real punishment. Walter Samuel got booked before a corner was taken in the Inter vs. Marseille Champions League match for holding and grabbing which he has done his whole career.

It's pretending to do something about it instead of giving the real punishment which is what the game needs. FIFA/UEFA have changed the rules to promote attacking and increase scoring. That's what, universally, everybody wants. We, as referees, are told to protect attacking players and promote attacking play. That is why the offside law has been loosened and become less stringent.

You want to cut down on the holding and grabbing on set plays and the only deterrent is calling penalties. Talking to the players before the kick is taken doesn't really work. How many times have we seen refs have a little discussion with the players and then immediately they go back to doing the same thing?

Also, let me ask you if Webb would have booked Motta if he was on a yellow card? Of course not. So that makes him giving the card to Motta total moot, because it doesn't have equal weight.