Match 13: Cote d'Ivoire x Portugal

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I agree, but if that was the point all along then we only have 3 MCs able to accomplish that role: Mendes, Amorim and Meireles. The first is too busy in the DM role and the second most likely will be used as a RB cover for Miguel.

I honestly see no point of Deco and Tiago in this counter-attacking tactic. We need fast midfielders with high work rate. Moutinho, Manuel Fernandes and even Paulo Machado (not to mention Ruben Micael, but he's injured) would make the whole difference.

2. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, if you're saying we have nobody to replace Meireles with this tactic, then I agree. However, from the three you suggest, I don't think Moutinho is a good fit. I think he's more suited to a possession game.

As is, the only possible cover for Meireles, is probably Mendes moving into his slot and Pepe coming in at DM. Much as I like Mendes and Pepe, I think this is hardly an ideal replacement. Meireles form will be key in our game, maybe too much a player whose off-days are very off.

3. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think that our major weakness compared to 2006 is, indeed, our midfield. Deco isn't in his best physical shape, and Pepe came from an injury. Back in 2006 we still had Mourinho's midfield from Porto. So that may be our main problem against Ivry Coast. Tipically, African's teams are very strong fisically, and if they manage to control the midfield, Portugal will be in serious trouble.

Even if we do control the game, there is still the finalization problem and the possibility of conceiving goals on freekicks or corners. So, for Portugal to win this game, it will have to run more than them and don't missing any score chances.

4. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Three reasons why Portugal will 'GO' far:

1. RONALDO - Simply because he has too much to prove.
    2. DEPTH - Portugal are few teams that have so many quality players on the bench.
    3. BALANCE - The back four are very good, and our attack is proficient when it wants to be.

Lastly, CQ will implement strategy. That is his philosophy something Scolari was never good at. Btw, DANNY will be our MVP. He is itching to make an impact.

5. That Guy

That Guy Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Will Kalou start?

6. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes.

7. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I really want Cote d'Ivoire to beat Portugal tomorrow since I am from Ghana, and the Ivorians are our next door neighbours geographically, and they are African just like Ghana so I support them too, and Ivory Coast have star power in their lineup as well with Drogba, Kalou, Yaya Toure, Kolo Toure, Eboue, Gervinho, Bakary Kone, Didier Zokora, etc., and Portugal even though they have Ronaldo and co., I can't see them beating Ivory Coast, I can see them drawing against Ivory Coast, since Ivory Coast have been that impressive

8. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I'm with you Terry, although from the beginning I have been saying that Africa's greatest hope is CIV. They need Drogba to beat Portugal though, I think.

9. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Many people is with CIV, even europeans. I'm not :), for obvious reasons. I hope that this releases some pressure over portuguese players. Even a great percentage of portuguese people don't believe in a victory, tomorrow.

10. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Been supporting all the African teams so far and only Ghana and to some extent (and with bias) South Africa look good or ok. So (with bias) I can see many things happening tomorrow. Coentrao my favourite player at the moment uncharacteristically not performing, Portugal going one down and unable with lots of chances to score, Paulo make a hash of it, etc. Can't see this game being that much different from nearly all the games so far 'Parasite football' punishing mistakes, I expect IC to make more mistakes defensively but will Portugal be able to take advantage? Anything could happen with this game but with African home soil advantage basically not applying at all (except for South Africa) I am going for a 2-0 Portugal. Gervinho I really like.

11. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ghana is awesome! I'm rooting for them.

12. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    I rate Ghana above the Ivory Coast. I'm not too sure the Ivory Coast have the ability to beat Portugal. I mean they were favored to win the ACN 2010 but they suffered from the same problem England always has, great individuals but poor as a team. Should be a great encounter on paper.

13. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal lineup has been released. Some surprise inclusions. Danny in for Simao. Coentrao in for Duda. Ferreira in for Miguel. Mendes in for Pepe.

[​IMG]

14. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ferreira makes no sense! CQ will regret that decision.

15. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ronaldo will be floating around Liedson, and Danny will have a free roaming role which he flourishes at, those two compliment each other perfectly in their movement. With Deco being able to play a deeper playmaking role in midfield due to Danny's prescence, his passes better be ON tommorow to take advantage of their mobility and quickness.

Danny is also very direct, which offers a completly different dimension to Portugals Arsenal like "PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS" style of play, which will take opposing players by suprise.

Hopefully Failroz doesnt shackle Danny to the wing, as he works best in a free role roaming the pitch like mentioned above.

Pepe I think will be ready to start by North Korea, but I would still be worried about Meireles and Pedro Mendes in the middle of the park. Is that good enough to get the job done against a real quality team like the Ivory Coast? I have my doubts:eek:

16. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Position to position CIV has the better players and that's even with Essien. Without Essien it isn't even close. And we all know that Continental Cups are great for team confidence, but mean nothing in World Cup play. Greece's Euro win or Egypt's ACN win have meant nothing to their form once the WC, or in Egypt's case, the qualifiers come around. To that end, their best performances have been on a level no other African team can touch and I've seen them in African Cup games and friendlies. So when they're on their game, they are easily the best on the continent.

17. Bundesligafan

Bundesligafan Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    where can i see the starting line up? thanks

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  19. Bruticus

Bruticus Member

May 18, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Strange team selection...

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Other then 1 player not really.

21. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think Ferreira's inclusion has Kalou in mind. It's definitely our weak spot, but to be fair Miguel hasn't really been convincing defensively. I imagine that if he also wasn't very solid in practice sessions, then this could be the reason Ferreira is on the XI.

22. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, everything rides on this game. Lose to Ivory Coast and there is almost no room to make it out of the group. Should be the most intense first match, except perhaps for USA vs England, in the competition.

23. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Group of Death begins. Let's go CIV! Did not realize so many Portuguese live in S. Africa.

24. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil