Match 13: Cote d'Ivoire x Portugal Post-Match Thread

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    During the prep matches Queiroz has tended to play players out of position.

Domenech may be worse: he's still playing them out of position.

2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well Malouda reportedly got on Domenech's bad side for complaining about playing out of position.

Deco now has complained about the same and about Queiroz's general approach to the match so that's a storyline to follow. If handled well it'll fizzle, if not, it might make things more difficult for Portugal.

The article linked is in Portuguese but I'll translate the quotes from Deco's post-game interviews:

3. M.O.T

M.O.T Member

May 9, 2008
    I think a reason why good African teams always seem to get a raw deal when it comes to the draw has to do with the seeding. It's almost guaranteed that a good African side gets put in a group with a 1st tier football team, and a 2nd tier football team. That creates a group of death.

I think the draw really favours portugal though. CIV need to go into the match against Brazil thinking that they must get a result. I have a feeling that North Korea will not go down easily, I think they are capable of a draw/win.

If CIV can qualify for the 2nd round, I think they have a better chance of beating Spain than Portugal (or any other team that was mentioned earlier...) Portugal play a similar game to Spain, except Spain play it better. CIV play attacking power football which can frustrate the Spanish. The Spanish can get out-powered by CIV which could lead to a win. Spain will not get outplayed....

I think that Brazil and Portugal make it out of the group though. I hope I'm wrong though..

4. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I'm actually impressed that Deco spat that, it's unlike him. A good thing, actually. Unprofessional, but still a good thing.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He makes it sound as if Queiroz went nuts in the locker room.

"Reconheço que Portugal não jogou bem e a maneira com que o técnico abordou o time no intervalo não foi a melhor."

6. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's EXACTLY what i screamed. CROSS THE BALL or the whistle will blow.

How thick were they?

7. GILSAN

GILSAN New Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Madeira
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal is too dependant on Ronaldo and the whole team seems afected by the fact that he is not scoring. Its turning into a psychological thing, agravated by the fact that CQ is not a good coach. They should take the captaincy away from CR He may be a talented player but he is the worst captain Portugal have had for many years.

If he scores in the next game then I believe Portugal can make it, otherwise we are in trouble and could even lose points against N Korea. What worries me the most is that Portuguese teams have the bad habit of underestimating theoretically weaker teams.

As for Brazil facilitating Portugal, I don't think so. They are too proud to want to lose against any team in the world.

8. M.O.T

M.O.T Member

May 9, 2008
    I really hope this is true.

9. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I work with a Portuguese gentleman and we talk football every day of this Cup so far. From what I gather from talking to him, Brazilians think pretty highly of Portuguese and vice-versa. There are even some Brazilians playing with Portugal. It's not that I think that Brazil would knowingly help Portugal, but subconsciously...

Anyways it's besides the point. As an African fan my wish has to be that an African team wins this cup. CIV is the best African side we've had since the Nigerian teams of the mid-90's, probably even better than them, and this is the best opportunity to grab a bit of enthusiasm. So if they want to win a World Cup, which should be every team's goal from N. Korea to Greece, then they should be good enough to get a result against Brazil. Hoping that Brazil helps us in the final match is a defeatist attitude anyway. CIV may lose, but they need to win. That should be the goal and f*ck the rest.

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It depends. I know not every Brasilian have this "warm" feeling for Portugal. Its more of the other way around. Brasil has influenced Portugal alot over the past 15 years and it continues to do so to this day. Music, TV, football, food, and even the way they speak is slowly finding its way into Portugal. There have been estimates of around 500,000 - 1,000,000 Brasilians currently living, and working in Portugal, not all of them legal ofcourse. One thing I know is that they are very visible in cities such as Lisboa, Porto, and Portimao as well. I think the Portuguese LIKE the fact that we are "related"...Also many of Portuguese tend to have family living in Brasil as well, sometimes vice versa (I have family that lives in Fortaleza!)

But in Brasil I think its a different story. Portugal has very little influence on Brasil, and besides the language and some other cultural aspects, we don't have much in common with them. Many Brasilians have a little bit of hatred for Portugal, other simply do not care for the country.

However, with that said. I find Brasilians/Portuguese migrants, living in other countries around the world tend to get along very well. For the reason being we tend to flock to each other in Portuguese speaking communities around the world. This goes for Cabo Verdeans(New England) and Angolans(Toronto) as well.

Would Brasil lay over for Portugal? I doubt it, especially since group H is a mess and no one will want to play Spain immediately. Regardless, I think Portugal have the ability to get out of the group. I sure hope so.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    While I think they'll sneak through, I don't see Spain topping their group.

So to avoid them you may want to drop some points.

12. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    It was interesting to find how many Portuguese are living in South Africa then someone pointed out what should have been obvious to me, Angola is right next door.

That said, it will be interesting how the Spain dynamic plays into all of this. Personally, I don't think that any quality side should fear them. They seem to be mentally frazzled on the world stage to this point. First the Confederations Cup, now this. If they lost to Chile, I wouldn't be surprised. They do this all the time.

13. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well. Surelly this is going to be very complicated. Not sure if Portugal can beat NK and if CIV will lose against Brasil. Even if this happens, i believe that we still have to decide things with goal average.

14. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That is true, but there are also many portuguese living in South Africa. Part of this country was controlled by Portugal until the 17th or 18th century, if i'm not mistaken. But the main reason is that since there were many portuguese in other countries like Angola, Cape Green and Guiné Bissau, some of them migrated to South Africa.

15. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Since you talked, i became curious about that and came to this numbers: Portugal has between 200000 and 300000 emigrants living in South Africa. More than 1 millions all over the world, and about 30 millions portuguese descendents, and Portugal only has 10 millions. And that isn't going to change in the future, because economy here is one of the worst in Europe.

16. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Diaspora. It's interesting trying to get a handle on how things economically settle out in EU members from here in the States. I assumed that linking your economies was supposed to alleviate most of the disparity.

17. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    One of the worst of Europe's richest, to be correct. Yeah, we're not as rich as England or Germany, but look around the world and be glad you were lucky to be born in a relatively wealthy country.

18. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Well, some things are not accurate in your perspective. There's way less brazilian soap operas in national tv (probably 2), the mediatization of brazilian musical artists decreased immensely in the last years and I have no clue of gastronomy influences you're talking about. As for football, even in that area we're having less tolerance for brazilian players as it slightly decreased (thankfully).

I doubt that Brazil might play subconsciously for a tie, especially when there's so much at stake. The so called cultural bond might become a reason to go passive or overly agressive, but I think the deciding factor for that will be the ramifications in group H.
    Whatever it is, I just hope Portugal goes on full force.

19. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think Brazilians and Portuguese tend to be condescendent to one another. Many Portuguese have the image of Brazilians being poor and lazy and many Brazilians have the image of unsophisticated, not very smart Portuguese.

This all changes when we meet in other countries, though, and I think Portuguese and Brazilians get along quite nicely after they see the stereotypes are ridiculously wrong.

20. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes. I meant European Union, not all Europe. But my point isn't that we are poor, but that emigration is something that is still happening. Many of the best minds continue to emigrate, and that is a problem.

About Brasil, we give along each other better than with any other country that i know, despite those stereotypes. But i seriously doubt that they won't play to win on their last game.

21. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Net migration has been positive ever since Portugal joined the Euro.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/time.php?stat=imm_net_mig&country=po

My brother did his PhD in London and came back. He has doctoral students from Pakistan and many other countries. So we're also attracting bright minds. This government may have done a lot of BS, but they did invest a lot in education (MIT, Harvard, Carneggie Mellon all have research centers or university partnerships with Portuguese universities).
    MIT: http://www.mitportugal.org/
    Harvard: http://www.hmsportugal.org/
    CM: http://cmuportugal.blogspot.com/

This helps keep some of the best minds (even if the top will always go to the US or London, but that's also true for France and Germany...).

This stuff is exactly what Portugal needs not more Renault factories looking for cheap labour.

22. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Ahm, not necessarily. The older generations are generally uneducated, so we do need those factories.

As for the partnerships, do you think they are there to serve a true purpose?
    I'm honestly asking as I often hear colleague students rambling about how inacessible they are.

23. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is not an econ forum, so maybe we're going off-topic for too long... I agree we need some factories, definitely, but my point is that economic policy cannot be focused on that. It's what we did until recently and it led nowhere.

These centers are not meant to take the whole university into them, so it's always going to be the few best students who go there. But I think they do drive the whole faculty to be better. Why? Because you need some top-class research centers to attract professors in those fields. The professors at the universities can also work with those in the centers and so you can create a small critical mass to improve research overall and therefore improve the level of professors which teach the rest of the university.

This will take a lot of time to bear fruit, but I don't see how we can continue to try to compete on price against China or other developing economies. We have to go for innovation and I think this is the way to kick start it.

I know this is a hopefully optimistic view, but I don't see a better way...

Would be good to hear your thoughts, although this is my last post on it as I don't want to anger the moderators and have it all cleaned out.

24. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    No, it seems a fair point to me. I'm also an optimistic even though I'm suffering some hardships, so I can relate to that.

Thanks for your interesting posts so far. ;)

And yeah, let's go back on topic...

25. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That was also my concern about getting offtopic. But i would like to discuss it. Just my final point, i agree with those partnerships, but what concerns me most is the general education. The best students are not just the brightest but the ones that, previously, had access to private schools, while others go to public schools and have a mediocre education.