Match 11: Italy - Paraguay Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia' started by sidspaceman, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The general response has been that we played decent, but not great. I don't think that's exaggerating at all.

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I disagree with canzano55 (except on Cassano) and Bruticus opinions and strongly disagree with Cbronx67. There was more link-up play and cohesion than they thought.

We can cry about not having Cassano, Miccoli and Totti but the team we have is still a quality side and there is more creativity than what most people think. In 2010, we have more unknowns but Lippi needs to show that it can work in our favour.

3. Bruticus

Bruticus Member

May 18, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dude I said the game was dull and defensive and it was IMO, I never said Italy were bad I follow Inter FFS we are the masters of dull and defensive yet you can't say we are bad.:D

Individually I thought there were some ok performances and I said that in the Italian NT board: Pepe and Zambrotta did well as did Camo when he came on. Still very little happening up front where we looked totally immobile as usual, except for when Pepe made some runs into the box for a cross/setplay.

4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    And it's not impossible that we do the same, albeit unlikely. And, yes, I was speaking in relative terms when I labeled the talent, "average." There are no Roberto Baggios or Gianfranco Zola's on this squad. Lol, there was a time where the best Zola could do was be Baggio's substitute.

5. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA

6. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agree. I though the defense and most of the midfield worked very well together. To make the corrections you speak of and with which I agree, I would stat Di Natale over one of Iaquinta or Pepe (there's no need to have both of them in there). Also, I'd think about starting Pazzini over Gilardino. Gila is good at poaching and heading and I'm afraid he won't get many quality crosses with Pepe and Iaquinta on the flanks. Especially because Zambrotta hasn't gotten the legs to make deep runs like he used to and Criscito is still getting accustomed to the heaviness of playing in the WC before he continually makes deep runs down the left flank. Pazzini, though also reliant on crossing, can impose himself much more in the match, IMO. he is stronger and would likely attract at least one marker at all times, thereby freeing up space for others.

7. Ben Sahar redded

Ben Sahar redded Red Card

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
  8. Mr. Tovarich

Mr. Tovarich New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Small Town in Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an American fan, every time me and me buds see a goalkeeper wiff the ball for a score, we drop a wee drop of St. Paddy's day colouring in our beer, and hoist a green beer in honor of Robert Green, who established a new tradition of quality at the 2010 World Cup.

9. Ben Sahar redded

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Nothing is worse than Green. The Paraguayan GK was conned by the ball, which doesn't drop when expected.

10. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't see where the problem is. He was touched by the paraguayan and felt the pain. he thought the paraguayan did it intentionally but he was wrong.

Noone pretends to be angry, his face red and visibly furious, after making a dive. The case exists only for those who like to hate italy and italian players

11. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He was barely even touched, Caceres pretty much skimmed by his feet and he acted like he got shot.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5QrI8WAa5g"]YouTube- De Rossi[/ame]

The only reason his face was red with anger was because the referee didn't fall for his antics.

12. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    To be fair, there's no other way to see that than a dive, and De Rossi should have seen yellow. Though I'd rather see a straight red for diving.

13. Ben Sahar redded

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    It looks like he clipped his ankle/Achilles. Show me another video where De Rossi dives. Have you ever had anyone do that to you with cleats? It's painful.

14. Ben Sahar redded

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Stop it at 20 seconds.

15. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes it has happened to me on a few occasions actually and it is very painful but all I did was stop, go "Owww" and rub my feet. I didn't jump in the air like I just got throttled by a firing squad.

16. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    OK, I still think it's a dive. He ran a few paces before he flopped to the ground. If it was so painful, he'd have dropped like a rock on impact and not ran a few paces, then do the superman dive. I don't even think he limped once he was on his feet again.

I <3 De Rossi, and wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but that was a dive.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Gotta give him kudos for the theatricality of it.

It's a bit overdone though. I prefer Grosso. He's more the Orson Welles school. Just enough to bring you to the pathos, but not so much that it becomes comic.

CR goes into hysterics. Reminds me of Liz Taylor in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof."

18. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    So he dived, big deal...the team who is free of divers may cast the first stone.

I thought it was a good game nonetheless and confirmed that Italy and Paraguay will go through.

19. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Oh yes, he just fell right over, didn't he? I especially liked the part where he looked up to make sure the ref saw it.

*golf claps*

Christiano Ronaldo is funny as hell when he dives. Holding nothing back in his show.

20. Ben Sahar redded

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Running at full pace, how can you stop? An initial reaction would be to not plant that foot after getting clipped. Dive, maybe. But it was also a foul.

21. Ben Sahar redded

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Watch it again, he didn't plant that foot after the clip. Either way, who cares. The ref did the right thing by not calling anything. It's not a dive, because there WAS CONTACT. It's a foul if anything, but not intentional.

22. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'll take that bet any day of the week. When Holland playes Italy in the 1/8th final we can come back on it and arange something.

In not a single tournement Italy has scored a goal against the Netherlands. in 1978 it was an own goal from Brands I believe. In the last tournement we won 3-0 and Italy hasn't become any younger.

23. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (&amp; CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Italy played the Netherlands...I'd bet my monthly salary on the Orange!

Italy , as you know, always plays a dull game! NOW, they are dull and...OLD!:rolleyes:

Netherlands would beat them easily! And I'm a big GERMANY fan!;)

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We shall see. As I said, I'm not even a fan of Italy.

25. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I can see. As a Germany fan you must get tired of us always spanking your side.