Match #1: BRA : CRO - NISHIMURA (JPN)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thug Mentality

May 30, 2011
    if ramires did not foul then fred did not dive.

2. izzzy

izzzy Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Croatia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #377 izzzy, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    srry.. maybe you get me wrong.. but i just wonder, in that situation.. when Fred dived...ok, ref saw it as foul, and gave PK for Brasil... i saw it like diving, he saw it as foul... but thats not what i was trying to ask...

why is that situation "awarded" with both PK and yellow card... for me that card was unnecessary, cause foul wasnt rough at all...

3. sjt8184

sjt8184 Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Dissent. Or possibly Leaving the field without permission.

4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I think most of us would agree with that. However, when the official becomes part of the storyline, it leaves a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouth.

Guinho repped this.
  5. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    ChelseaSounder repped this.
  7. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ah, ok. That I agree. But refs love to give yellow cards when it´s a penalty just because it´s a penalty. :rolleyes:

obviously, it should not be a yellow card not because it was a light foul, but because it was no foul at all.

8. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Thought Nishimura's performance was disgraceful. The only that should be made on the "penalty" was yellow for Fred for simulation. Calling the penalty while running away basically demonstrated his incompetence. The yellow on the play even looked pre meditated.

Ramires tackle is a clear and I would even put forth the argument that a yellow card would been acceptable as well for reckless play.

9. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll take a stab.

Here's the quote:
    1) FIFA is going to have the backs of the referees, period, as a matter of policy, simply because it is a murderously difficult job. Also, the head of referees has his credibility on the line, so he is defending himself also. (note, I think fans and commentators who have never refereed a match harsh on refs far far too much, so I am biased toward defending refs also)

2) Busacca's second point is what others have said: when defenders start grabbing at attackers, they are asking for trouble. YOu can stand in front of a winger about to cross with your arms away from your sides, too, but I wouldn't recommend that either. If a defender grabs the attacker in front of him, he opens himself up for being called.

jarbitro repped this.
  10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    No, it demonstrated that he was following a procedure that is taught in some places. I hate the procedure, in part because some people (such as The411) will misconstrue it this way. But whether we like that procedure or not, it demonstrates absolutely nothing about his competence, the call, or what the referee thought of his own call. (Perhaps this reaction to it on this oh-so-public stage will cause some to re-think the wisdom of the procedure.)

11. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The referee in question most of all. I'm glad I'm not Nishimura today.

12. sjt8184

sjt8184 Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    The "run off the field after calling a pk" mechanic has been discussed here. Lots of posters here do not like it. Its purpose is to tell players don't cross the line or your risking a yc for leaving field without permission/dissent(take your pick.) Nishimura did not look convincing using it, and seemed to make a decision to yc Lovern for dissent right away.

13. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I don't have any particular sympathy for refs, but I think people have been more hard on Fred for duping him, than Nishimura for being conned--and rightfully so. Unfortunately, the fallout will be for the ref as he wont get another high profile fixture in this Cup.

Guinho repped this.
  14. JSVeron

JSVeron New Member

Jun 13, 2014
    One of the things that I'm most disappointed about was the amount of racism against the Japanese people.

3 matches so far and there were points where other refs from other countries failed too.
    But people only criticised them as refs. Not what country they are from.

Yes I saw lots of people criticising Nishimura as a ref, but I also saw lots of people using the word "j*p" and stating the reason of Nishimura's failure because of Japanese having slit eyes, etc. I myself am from Japan and so many people criticised Nishimura here too. Some people feel he is a disgrace to Japan.

People who are racists do not have the right to watch any kind of sports.
    Can't those people see the FIFA banner? "No to racism".

La Rikardo and ChelseaSounder repped this.
  15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Perhaps I have not seen the same things you have, but be sure to separate criticism based on race ("he's Japanese!") from that based on the league he refs in (which I think most would agree is not at the same level as several of the top leagues in Europe).

The former is absurd, but the latter is a legitimate topic of discussion. For each FIFA ref, a small minority of his games are international matches. Referees regularly whistling in top leagues have a different type of experience than those refereeing in national leagues that have a lower level of talent. Percieving the latter criticism as racism is quite misguided -- it is about experience, not race. And what I have read, the latter is far mre prevalent than the former.

16. JSVeron

JSVeron New Member

Jun 13, 2014
    #392 JSVeron, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Yes, I'm definitely separating things like that which are constructive from the things that are just complete racism.
    I also agree that our refs in Japan (and not just refs, but players too) are no where near the level of the leading countries of soccer such as England, Italy, Spain, Brazil, etc.

BTW, the place I have seen this was Twitter. I've even deleted my twitter account because I was so disappointed of how the twitter community was.

17. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing in Busacca's quote says that FIFA believes Nishimura got the decision right.

Busacca beat back the notion of favoritism. Then Busacca said Nishimura had good position to take a particular decision. And he said the Croatian player did something that risked such a decision being justifiable. But Busacca never actually said he believed the penalty kick was correct. And, without seeing video of the press conference, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he was explicitly asked. When you put all the pieces to the puzzle together, I think it's obvious what FIFA thinks of the call. But they can't exactly go out and throw one of their top referees overboard on the first game on what is--no matter how clear we think it is--a subjective decision.

You don't become head of FIFA refereeing without some political skills. I'd say Busacca showed his today.

18. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. There was a report here that there would be a crackdown on holding in the box which may well have contributed here

Glad to hear Jones was paying attention

19. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    see? My point exactly. ENFORCE it, and it's enforced. Or start making all of us go out and buy spray cans.

20. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will repeat what I've been saying since 2006 - I hope Nishimura gets another game and a chance to move forward . Honestly, I don't think he will, but I think the policy of dumping referees after a bad call or a bad game is is just poor resource utilization. After all that JFA, AFC and FIFA have invested, to say "that was a bad call - you're done" is not wise.

Failure is one of the great defining points in human development - how you react and what you do with it. We loose a lot of talented people when you remove someone after a bad day.

Two additional points:

1 - For any player defending against a Brazilian - when you're in the box, don't grab them from behind. I learned this in college.

2 - Simulation will remain with us as long as there is no serious punishment. It's been mentioned before: possible YC vs possible game winning goal - easy decision most of the time. When competition authorities start handing out 3 or 4 match bans for simulation things will get better very quickly.

IASocFan repped this.
  21. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro

the problem is the second part of the phrase and the few times a red was shown all hell broke loose. as in players and fan beating a ref. On high stakes games if you issue a yellow or red for encroaching it must be very clear what you are doing so the sprayed line helps the ref enforce the rules. If you referee a league with no encroaching or a non-highprofile game you won't need one

22. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Exactly! FIFA and Busacca would lose all credibility if they said it was the right call and they won't throw him under the bus either, but my guess is that Nishimura is done. He won't get another game.

It will be way too high profile to put him on any game.

23. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #399 Gilbertsson, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014

It happened earlier: Euro 1996 (with Germany, foul of Markus Babbel and goal of Matthias Sammer), Euro 2000 Qualifications (with Yugoslavia, goal of Davor Suker was not accepted - goal technology would be useful for 60-70 cm over the line), Euro 2004 (with France, hand of David Trezeguet), Euro 2012 (with Spain, offside goal, avoided penalty for Croatia), World Cup 2006 (with Australia, offside goal of Harry Kewell, many mistakes against both teams in general, three yellow cards for Josip Simunic) and now World Cup 2014 (with Brazil, given penalty for Brazil, strange foul of Ivica Olic against Brazilian goalkeeper).;) Waiting for Euro 2016 and new coincidental mistakes.:thumbsup:

Yuichi Nishimura was at World Cup 2010 also, match between Brazil and Netherlands. People consider that Felipe Melo shouldn't get the red card.:thumbsdown:

Uruguay got the similar penalty, foul against Diego Lugano. Maybe harsher contact, not sure. Netherlands scored one goal, Iker Casillas was maybe fouled, very similar case like Brazil-Croatia case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_knockout_stage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Sundell
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Poll
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuichi_Nishimura

I hope that Croatia will leave stronger from this situation and enter in the knock-out stage.:)

24. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Ok, I will bite

I'll guess that you didn't bother to actually read this thread because the majority of the refs agreed that Olic fouled JC. He jumped unto JC and not up. On page 13, msg #324 I uploaded six (6) still image of that challenge I doubt that you can go though them and still believe it wasn't a foul

There is no question that the penalty was a major blunder. Fred dove period. The refs on this board were less sure if Iker was fouled they saw a dispute and not jumping though, it was a foul on my book (I'm not a referee).

Never hear any Brazilian saying Felipe Melo didn't deserve a red. Actually HE NEVER PLAYED FOR US AGAIN AFTER THAT AND WILL NEVER PLAY AGAIN, I think life ban form the NT it is a proper punishment for that don't you?