Matías Iván Maroni

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by TimB4Last, Aug 9, 2006.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Matías Iván Maroni

This player is listed as a defender with Chacarita Juniors.

Anyone know more about him?

More generally, what can you tell me about Chacarita Jrs. and its place in Argentinian soccer? Can someone briefly describe the Argentinian league system?

Thanks in advance!

2. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I never heard of Matias Ivan Maroni but Chacarita is a second division club in Argentina. It is one of the biggest second division clubs though and it has great history coming up to first division plenty a times. The Argentina league plays two tournaments per year, the Apertura and the Clausura. Teams also participate in Copa Libertadores (the champions league of S. America) and Copa Sud Americana (a separate cup not as prestigious as the Libertadores much like the UEFA).
    Looks like Maroni does play defender, and was born in San Diego, CA. A couple of places have him born in 88 but another has him born in 85. ?

I hope this helps.

http://www.chacaritajuniors.org.ar/plantel4.php

TimB4Last repped this.
  3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    TimB4Last repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    TimB4Last repped this.
  5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    From your link: "Meet Matias Maroni, whom we dearly know as Cholo. Player and now certified coach of our academy. Come train and learn with us. Our registration is always open!"

Trying to remember why I was interested in the first place, 15+ years ago.

6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It appears he is American-born (from San Diego)... perhaps you were tracking him for the USMNT?

Other than that, I don't see why he would have caught your attention. He's certainly not a known player in Argentina and appears to have only been able to make a splash in the Puerto Rican league.

Chesco United and TimB4Last repped this.