Massive terrorist attack in Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Nov 9, 2003.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Actually, I'd have to disagree with you here. They can hate all the groups you listed and still behave strategically. In fact, I think there's a good chance they'll win.

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I've never met any "enlightened selfless liberals" outside of the animal rights movement.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am not saying that they don't behave strategically. I am saying that when we are dealing with religious fanatics, their 'strategy' or 'motives' will not always make political or strategical sense to those of us who are not immersed into their views.

Maybe their strategy is based on God speaking to them, or on numerology, or on some dream that one of them had, or on some obscure interpretation of scriptures, or on some other factor that we cannot compute with our rational way of thinking.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You mean those people who plan their anti-hunter agenda while they are out fishing?

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I've never met an animal rights supporter into fishing, but fish are pretty low on the evolutionary scale. Animal rights activists have nothing personal to gain.

Pescetarians Unite!

6. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    You forgot Buddhists. Remember when the Taliban blew up that ancient Buddhist statue in Afghanistan? How can anyone hate Buddhists? They find a way.

From what I understand the way their thinking is, is that a Muslim killed, even a bystander, goes to heaven. A non-believer goes to hell. It's win-win no matter who they kill.

Remember that these people find their purpose in life by being extreme in their views and killing other people. This forum is over thinking this attack.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    "60 Minutes" did a segment on Arafat's personal wealth. Arafat has reportedly $1-3 Billion to his name. His wife, through the Palestinian Treasury, get's an allowance of $100K/Month to live in Paris.

8. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    What right do Buddhists have building statues in Moslem lands? What right to Hebrews have building the Temple in Moslem lands? :D

9. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    I just heard the latest news...

1- It seems it wasn't a suicide attack.

2- It seems that saudi police had intercepted the terrorists surrounding them and that the target was another (they talked about a saudi prince's palace).

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Link? I have my doubts about this new explanation.

11. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    i told I heard it (rai news, national tv)... whenever I will find a link I'll post it.

Meanwhile...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...nyt/amongsaudisattackhassouredqaedasupporters

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1082272,00.html

A strange strategy isn't it?

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Perhaps. If it scares people away from working in Saudi Arabia it could be worth it. If it scares people away from living in gated communities that permit violations of strict Moslem prohibitions, maybe that's worth something as well. My argument is that moderate Moslems are expendable to these terrorists. I agree with you that they think strategically.

One major problem in discussing any of this is that there is no free press in Saudi Arabia.

13. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Ben?
    Your american, right?

I have a question for you..
    When The U.S made contact with the saudi royal family some...70 years ago, was there an outcry from America's Right Conservative groups and religous leaders?

I heard that they once was churchs and viable christian community in Saudi Arabia, which had perished into europe, and perhaps lebanon....
    Is this true fact or is it a make up thing?

Pogroms against Chrisitians in Saudi Arabia...1920's?

14. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    How did the common people call it?...old wine, new bottle.

That was in regards to the "new" cabinet established by Arafat, while the people have nothing, can't travel to work and see no end to violence.

15. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

Ooo yes, i seen that hear in israel too.. 60 minutes has it shows too....

It is true...and its not just 60 minutes who aired it or presented it. Forbes did too. Sometimes i wonder why im learning business in the first place...why don't you become a terrorist...you can make a ton more cash.?

and yes, he is very wealthy...Arafat got alot of assets not only in european banks (which are reported at 3 billion) but he also has cash in UAE, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Morroco, Lebanon and Syria....the guy went international now.....

His wife, Sutha, who i only saw here saying one thing in a 1999 speech, doesn't do much. Doesn't do any fundraisers, nor help the palestinian cause..she is a palestinian...a christian one. Many who saw the couple getting married (she is 40 years younger than Yasir and she is Christian and Arafat is a muslim) say that Yasir only got married to clean off his genocide against the Christians in Lebanon in the 15 year civil war there.

On any account, she is one of the wealthiest arab figures in France today. She doesn't do much like i said. She has her own bulletproof Mercedes and 2 bodygaurds (fomer arab militiamen) just in case that those darn israelis don't plant an assasiantion coupe on her...and all she does is train, go for some coffe with friends and watch Non stop arabic soap opera...

while 500 KM in Ramallah her husband (as she states) is near death, has parkisons desease and has israeli troops surrounding his compound. Moreover, he lives in 1 area of the compound and has 1 shower and 1 toilet....thats all about it...

16. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I guess $1-3 Billion doesn't go as far as it used to go, huh?

At least tell me his toilet is solid gold.

17. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Let just say he made some bad business decision regarding terrorism.

on any front....Arafat live in luxury either way in his compound. A bedroom, but he has all the media attention possible....It kinda reminds me of another croops by the name of Pablo Eskebar.

But on any account, he had the chance to use his 1-3 billion, live with his wife and make his statement count when israel gave him a choice to leave and let Abu Abbas & Abu Ala lead..but he didn't!

18. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I hadn't heard that, but see:

http://www.persecution.org/Countries/saudi_arabia.html

19. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Not to side with him, but that means two things.

He is really stupid.

He really believes in seeing the creation of the state.

20. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

Well look at how many people he has killed, on his own people, on his arab people on the other side to achieve those means..Since 1964, his organization has tried to do that, and yet it fails. And now, after 40 years of terror, mayhem, bloodshed...i don't think he has achieved anything far reaching from it...he has recieved a noble peace prize, but then again, if it was 1943, hitler could have done the same....and he has achieved media fame...
    but yet, there was no change otherwise......

And sides...Arafat is not palestinian and not even considered palestinian!! He is just a Egyptian national that claims to be born in Jerusalem.....like the many others

21. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Any chance Kappa and Ben DON'T hijack yet another thread with bigoted lunacy?

Didn't think so...

Anyway, here's a sampling of Arab press reports re: the Saudi bombing.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3256823.stm

Not sure how many people are aware of this phenomenal site either:
    http://www.worldlinktv.com/mosaic/streamsArchive/

Basically, it's a half hour show that takes segments from various Mid East news broadcasts. It's a daily program on WorldlinkTV, but amazingly, they put them all available online via streaming vid.

22. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

Ooo and your biogted is always welcome, right?

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    You called? I'll try not to disappoint.

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Are you saying that the free (not to mention fair and balanced) Saudi press is against terrorist attacks in Saudi Arabia? Gee, I would have never guessed.