MASL News

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Scooge, Sep 1, 2016.

1. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    and if you are a player coming out who has no outdoor options for whatever reason and you want to play indoor, guess what? you get to negotiate with exactly one team instead of whichever ones express an interest. what does that do to your earning potential? (drafts are as much about wage depression as competitive balance.)

i guess they figure a draft is good publicity and the photo op of the first draft pick holding up the jersey might sell some tickets. (though it would be a territorial pick so they don't have to fly him in.)

Buddy98 repped this.
  2. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I never heard of an instance where more than one team tried to sign any rookie. And there is no team hoarding all the college talent.

If the Comets draft some player from a Baltimore area college, there is almost no chance he will sign with them.

MASL teams are good about releasing players if they want to play somewhere else so it's likely that the same players will end up with the same teams they would have played for anyway. The same five college players will sign with end up on the same local teams they would have signed with anyway/

I don't understand why they are doing this other than to mimic something more successful leagues do even though it makes no sense in the MASL.

3. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    I believe this college draft to be a low-level PR event with two goals: 1) the MASL can put out press releases about local college players being drafted (even if nothing happens with those players in the end) and 2) a college player (I'm thinking D-III or NAIA levels), who may not have ever heard of the MASL team that drafted him or even the league itself, may start looking into this option if they want to continue playing soccer post-college if there are no other professional options open to them.

4. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    The last time the MISL3 did a major combine only about seven players signed and this was a tryout where the players performed and the coaches observed them and interacted with them.

In a draft you might pick a guy almost at random. The player might not even know he even was drafted since the players don't have to register.

5. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    They might as well have an international draft, too.

At least when the Sockers draft Messi it will be more newsworthy even though none of those players will ever play in the MASL.

6. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    it would be a testament to how obscure the masl is if people who actually play soccer and aspire to play it for money have no idea it exists.

BlackandRedForever repped this.
  7. BlackandRedForever

DC united
    Scotland
    Jul 4, 2021
    Well to be fair they won't make a lot of money playing in the MASL

8. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When they find out how much they will be paid 95% of them will never be seen playing in the MASL anyway.

9. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Immigraton issues Hugo Silva was told by Immigraton that the "MASL IS NOT A PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE" So his season is done and now he will end up going back to Brazil. I expect that every Masl player who is having the same issue waiting on a visa will be told the exact same thing.

What I think the MASL should do, Thats even if it is possiable. is to be the primary sponsor / employer of any visa player. Once a player recieves a visa, he can then be placed on loan to any masl team and once his contract is up his rights go back to the MASL.

10. BlackandRedForever

DC united
    Scotland
    Jul 4, 2021
    Or accept that the MASL isn't a professional league

11. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
  12. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    you don't have to have a potential large contract to have knowledge that a league exists.

every league we have had for the last, probably, 20 years has been obscure.

BlackandRedForever repped this.
  13. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the MASL sent this out to all of the teams. This is just more ways to fine players and the teams

[​IMG]

14. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    That's not even new. It might be a tweak or a clarification, but players and staff were already guided by rules of conduct on social media.

15. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I have never understood why the entire team has to come off the bench to celebrate every goal. If you watch a hockey game that doesn't happen.

NSL2004 repped this.
  16. Buddy98

Buddy98 Member

Oct 22, 2014
    I'm with you, especially when there's a slaughter going on.

NSL2004 repped this.
  17. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think fans will complain about the 4-6 feet rule from the walls if your arena does not have fixed seats. They will also complain about the lights out rule. I agree this this is a safety measure. I also feel that all rules need to be set in place prior to the start of the season. Stop tweaking them during the season. Discuss all these rule changes for the following year.

18. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    didn't they make that a rule (different league, granted) after the big chicago-cleveland fight back in '05?

19. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    because if something is unsafe, don't fix it now. sorry, you have to wait. if someone gets hurt between now and then, so be it. this rando thinks you have to wait.

20. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    They did, for a time. I don't really remember when they switched it back. They probably just forgot it was a rule and no one said anything. Like it's against the rules for goalies to wear shorts, but I see goalies in shorts sometimes.

21. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
  22. Buddy98

Buddy98 Member

Oct 22, 2014
  23. KimZaccha!!

KimZaccha!! Member

Oct 27, 2016