Maryland vs. Virginia on Halloween

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Mike Fekula, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Mike Fekula

Mike Fekula Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Well, however the game turns out, the party is going to be serious. Should be quite a show with the fans coming in costume and all.

Maryland (4-1-0 ACC, 14-1-0) and Virginia (3-2-0 ACC, 8-7-0) is perhaps the greatest rivalry in D-1A right now. The Terps are currently first in the ACC standings with Virginia third, behind Wake, so this is a meaningful game, as usual. Virginia is smarting from a 1-0 upset loss to North Carolina-Greensboro
    last night.

This game is always the most physical encounter that Maryland gets in any season. Last year, Virginia had three yellow cards and Maryland's Sasho Cirovski had to be restrained after the game. Later, in the ACC Championship game, Virginia out-fouled Maryland 23-16 and led on yellow cards 3-2. That is fairly typical, so this should be a bruiser. Virginia needs the game more than Maryland does, but the Terps will be there to play, so it should be an interesting contest, as always.

2. Carolina

Carolina Member

Dec 6, 2000
    CONCACAF
    Maybe, but if Maryland loses, they end up with the 2nd seed and miss the bye. And this year, the second seed isn't the automatic win over former doormat State but rather against Clemson with at least two conference wins.

3. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Ugh, we're gonna look like Duke fans on TV :(

Should be a good game, depending on which UVA side shows up. I'm just hoping we can get a good crowd out there before all the nights festivities begin. Can't imagine all the hostilities between the schools the last week or so could hurt that at all.

4. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    i won't make the game, but as i mentioned in another post, it will be interesting to see how the midfields of these teams play against each other. i don't think the uva forwards stand a chance against the umd defense. also if oliver doesn't play because of injury, then umd could get 8 goals.

is it true that if uva wins this game that they would end up in first place in the acc (as they would have the same acc record as umd; with the head-to-head being the decider). uva also beat wake and unc-ch. now that would be wacky or what!!

5. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    Maryland vs. Virginia

I only saw the Cavs play once, against UCLA after their loss to the Terps earlier this year (4-0 loss). This will be no contest, Oliver or not. The Cavs are not able to play physically, with so many young, small players. If they only lose by 4 goals, it will be a victory for the Cavs. I guarantee MD. will outfoul Virginia this time, and Sasho will have no reason to go berzerk. final score Terps 4 UVA 0.

6. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    well, it sounds like there will be some bodies flying on the field friday night. is there live web cast or web radio expected for the game?

7. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    The game is going to be on CSN.

I don't necessarily agree with those here that are calling for a complete blowout. I think Maryland will win, but it is a rivalry game and generally speaking, those types of games stay pretty close. Combined with the fact that, excluding UCLA, UVA has played well against the better teams; its the teams they should be handling easily that have caused them problems.

If it were up to me, I'd send Dom Mediate streaking down the right flank the entire game, because I don't think Hartman can stay with him speed or skillwise. I think the defense shouldn't have too many problems, but Palmer needs to be alert, since at the very least Cristman has shown he's willing to shoot from distance.

8. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    gsterp...you don't have to worry about Cristman...from what I've seen, he's not good.

What you do have to worry about is UVA coming out in a very defensive posture, hacking every player on the pitch.

9. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    LDB, I know Cristman isn't a top forward in the ACC yet, but from what I have seen from him at this level, he is willing to take that 20-25 yard shot. Maybe that's just a coincidence in the couple UVA games I've seen this year, and he hasn't been doing that as consistently since. I was more just stating that he isn't going to simply try to dribble into the goal, like plenty of players at this level do, Maryland included.

I also wouldn't say that Cristman isn't good. I had to play against him in high school ball for a couple of years, and he was far and away the best player we ever ran up against. Not an empty compliment either, considering other competition during those days included Cutler, right before he went off to Bradenton, Blake Beach of UNC, and all those guys down at VT. I have little doubt that within a year or two, he'll be a big contributor to the UVA team, and one of the top strikers in the league.

10. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    gsterp...you may be right of course, but Cristman showed me nothing both times I saw him play. The kid you mentioned at UNC...he's not getting any clock at Carolina. Then again, playing time in college has NOTHING to do with ability, talent, first touch, vision, etc.....it's all about some whacked out coach who thinks he knows what he's doing.
    For example...if BGG had played some of the players he benched at Duke, UVA would have won that game, IMO.

11. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    UVA vs. the Terps

I am a Terp fan, and although I try to be unbiased, it is very difficult to root for a team that employs College Soccer's version of Woody Hayes as it's coach. I have already predicted a Terp win, however I can't help but fear the implosion Sasho will ultimately execute. I have already seen everyone on the team underachieve against expectations; ie; Thompson, Mediate, et al. I see a team that has had fortunate scheduling, mostly home games, homer refs that are intimidated by the "Sash", and incredible talent that is and will remain harnessed because of his "tightness". Maryland won't win with "Sash" at the helm. sadly.

12. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    lw, don't think you guys have too much to worry about cause bgg has stronger implosive powers than sasho. he's a proven non-executor in big games and it goes downhill when there is less on the line. bgg's jerk-o-meter ratings are higher also because uva isn't winning (eg. duke game).

if your not one of bgg's favorite boys then you can basically forget about seeing significant time on the pitch. i can hear ldb ranting about jerk / useless / arrogant college coaches now.

regarding cristman, he may have been something in hs, but at this level he's a dufus that can kick only with one foot (didn't anyone teach this guy that you need two feet to play this game). he's blown so many opps it makes me ill to recount. the good news for him is that he's within bgg's inner circle and bgg has destroyed the confidence of all the other good forwards on this team with his inane mindless tactics - so cristman will see the pitch. come on ldb, give us some more!!

13. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    Kinleydogg

Please use the accepted Dogg spelling for your last name. I don't know if the rumor is true, but i heard Christman said he would "give his right foot to be ambidextrous".

14. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Fair enough about Cristman. Like I said, I haven't seen him nearly as often as some of you guys this year, so I was merely speculating based on what I did know. Can't say I'm overly disappointed either about being wrong.

lastword, while there are some players on the team who have underperformed this year (Mediate being the most glaring IMO), I wouldn't say the whole team has. Since coming back from injury, Sumed has been very good, and the d-mids, Rodway and Buete, have been excellent all year. I'd add Stammler into the mix of guys who have met or exceeded expectations this season.

15. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson New Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Richmond, Virginia
    At one time I heard that this game was being broadcast by Comcast Sports Net at 7pm tonight. Now I've read somewhere that Comcast might show a Wizards game tonight instead, and show the soccer game on tape delay Sunday. Anyone know for sure?

16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
  17. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    It'll be on live tonight on CN8, then tape delayed later on CSN. Not that it helps anyone south of Maryland anyway, since this is about as far south as the channel airs.

18. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Would it be wrong of me to wish for a 5-0 result in favor of Maryland? Please advise.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It would not be wrong and, while unlikely, is not impossible.

This is one of the best Maryland teams ever and one of the worst UVa teams ever. Combine the two and it could be ugly.

Sure, it could be an upset, but personally - and I say this as a UVa supporter - if the Cavs only lose by one or two that would be a good result for UVa.

My, how the mighty have fallen.

20. Mike Fekula

Mike Fekula Member

Oct 19, 2000
    I just double-checked.....

spoke with Maryland Athletic Media Relations and the game is to be broadcast by Comcast and it is an 8pm start.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Hey Mike, how bout you reference about this being Abe's last conference game - is he going to turn pro and not use his fifth-year?

22. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Well, first, according to Maryland's newspaper, Abe isn't going to play tonight, and might not even be back until the ACC tournament. So tonight won't be his last conference game regardless.

Mike mentioned wherever it was that it was mere specualtion right now that Abe would be leaving at the end of the year. Said there was nothing definite yet though.

23. Mike Fekula

Mike Fekula Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Exactly. It was just speculation and probably out of anxiety from one source hoping Abe will return, which is what I think he will do.

24. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Personally I don't think Abe has the speed to be an effective MLS level attacker.