Marshall & Clark out of January Camp

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Lord15

Lord15 New Member

Jun 20, 2001
    Southeast
    Oops, forgot about Adu.

So Adu, Martino and Dempsey. Should be fun.
    I honestly have no idea which of those three would come out ahead.

I'll agree Adu is the sexy pick.
    Dempsey really has to pick it up.

2. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Watch Brian Carrol make the squad. That would drive me crazy.

3. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Red Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    What caused their injuries ? there is no league matches going on right now, wasit a car accident or fell off the roof ?

4. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Red Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    I think Dempsey more concentrate on Hip-hop career than soccer right now...

5. robchap628

robchap628 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Atlanta
    ouch. keep in mind that this isn't the last camp, there are still six months til the WC so that may give Clark enough time to get in form and show Bruce something. Honestly unless there are serious injury issues I doubt we'll be seeing any of Dempsey/ and or Martino in germany, not that I agree with this but I think theres a better chance of Bruce bringing along Olsen.

6. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    With the Crew Martino had a really phlegmatic demeanor to contrast with
    the fire cumlinating in that golazo. I'm interested to see what he brings too.

7. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    He's got the pedigree. ;)

I don't think Carroll would hurt the team but he's not really going to help the
    team either playing a specialized d-mid role behind Mastroeni. Not unlike
    back up goalkeeper.

8. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

Backing up a postion that is a magnet for yellow cards and receiving hard hard tackles? I think there would be a strong possiblity for action.

Our central midfield options aren't all that many...and considering the health of Reyna and O'Brien, they look thinner everday. Any central midfielders that make the roster would be a good bet to see time.

9. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Even if he plays I don't see him particularly helping the team, meaning bringing
    in someone who excels in the position the way Mastro and Eddie Lewis did
    last go around.

10. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Mastro and Lewis were higher in the pecking order last time than Clark or Carrroll are this time.

11. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You heard it here first: with John O'Brien and Reyna hurt, and with Clark injured, Arena will call in as the primary backup none other than...

Richie Williams!

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't he hire out for that sort of wetwork?

[​IMG]

13. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    reyna has more than enough time to recover from injury...

JOB, well let's see how chronic he is once june rolls around...

unfortunately after, job and reyna, the drop-off to those who do what they do is huge...

carroll is a direct replacement for mastroeni, although if REYNA and JOB show incredible health, I do wonder the chances of arena NOT going with a direct d-mid back-up, but consider playing o'brien and reyna IF the occasion arises for mastroeni to miss time

14. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Martino is a CM. Period.

The thing is that he has always been looked at as a AM because of his size, but he prefers to play more like a 2way mid. He is very good at controlling the pace of matches - as we saw against Panama. I would not be surprised or unhappy (given good performances for the Crew) if he were to step up as a CM for this Cup.

15. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Yes, but there are so many defensive center midfielders who are better than Carrol.
    I think our best defensive midfielders in order are Mastroeni, Reyna, O'Brien, Mulrooney (I know he'll be rusty, but he'll still be good), Ricardo Clark,Chris Armas, Kerry Zavagnin Brian Carrol, Michael Bradley, and Ben Olsen.
    This really shows how little depth we have, but it also shows that there are better options than Carrol.

16. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Hmm... look at your list a little closer:

Mastroeni- the starting d-mid
    Reyna- plays several positions, but the lone d-mid is not one of them.
    JOB- Also plays several positions including d-mid. Injuries though...
    Mulrooney- Arena plays him out wide, not at d-mid. Will be back from injury but then integrating him into the team makes him a long shot.
    Clark- Arena seems to put him closer to goal than d-mid. When he's not injured. At any rate Carroll is rated higher at d-mid than Clark by Arena.
    Armas- ACL crosses him off the list.
    Zavagnin- It looks like Arena has Carroll rated higher.
    Bradley- Not even close.
    Olsen- Interesting player but I'm not sure that Arena think he can be a d-mid by himself. Sort of like a cut rate Reyna these days.

Summary: Of the guys you listed, the d-mid pecking order seems to be Mastroeni, JOB, Carroll with Reyna and Olsen providing help. So I don't see the "so many" d-mids here.

17. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Reyna, O'brien, Mulrooney, Clark, Beckerman, Mastroeni, and Zavagnin definately. Perhaps Bradley by next year.

But the bottom line is coaches always have 'their guys' and so certain players
    will always get the benefit of the doubt.

18. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Reyna and O'Brien are both sort of halfway attacking midfielders and half way defensive. If they started together, we would still have the defensive and offensive balance in the middle that we would with a Mastroeni (DM) and Donovan (AM) combination.

I know that is what the pecking order probably is, but I don't think that's what is should be. As Mr. Scoobs says, all coaches have their favorites, and Arena seems to like Carroll, Olsen, and Zavagnin in particular. I find it worrying that Carroll, a player who doesn't start for his club team, and was one of our weakpoints (or so I thought) against Scotland, has a good chance of making the World Cup team. Against Scotland, a significant problem was that we were losing the battle in the middle of the field big time, as we weren't winning enough balls there and weren't able to keep possession. That's why Beasely often pushed in. In fact, Beasely is almost as effective as Carroll in the middle (that's not saying much.)

It is too bad Mulrooney and Clark have been injured. They would really help the team's depth. I know Mulrooney has played outside, but he has also played in the middle for us, where he is more needed and better suited. Also, what about Clyde Simms? I thought he played well in his sole game, but was not called up again.

19. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Carroll starts for DeeCee.

Arena ran a Reyna O'Brien central midfield against Korea and the
    results weren't too good. He's asfaik gone with a d-mid 90% of the
    time.

I didn't see the game, but Carroll got positive reviews from diverse
    corners concerning the Scotland game.

Personally I don't see the ballwinning, tackling skills to excel in a four
    midfield and even in a five man setup DeeCee got reamed pretty
    hard down the season stretch but--hey--Arena has a fixation on him like the
    cat was Conor Casey or something...

Clyde Simms. That is just so wrong.

20. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Was this posted by a DC fan

edit: It was, and by a moderator too.

21. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Hey, I'm just noting what Arena has done with Clark. Do you think being pissy at me will change Arena's mind?

Thew reality of the depth chart for dedicated d-mids with Armas injured is Mastro, JOB, and Carroll. Reyna's not a dedicated d-mid. Clark and Mulrooney seem to have future's elsewhere, at least according to Arena. Olsen, I'm not sure about. Zavagnin is below all these guys. Michael Bradley's not in the picture.

22. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Answering your question would require me to 1) agree that I was being pissy and 2) accept the DC fan group think that they know what Arena thinks.

The fact that Rico can attack and will while Brian can't and shouldn't does not mean that one's only an amid and the other only a dmid. Ricardo does everything Brian can do faster and better while also being able to attack.

23. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    My bad on Carroll starting for D.C. I am surprised to hear he received such good reviews. He didn't make any big mistakes but Scotland seemed to be in complete control of the middle of the field.

Arena ran the O'Brien Reyna central midfield against Germany as well, probably our best game of the tournament. There probably aren't any other examples of these two starting together, mainly because they have never been fit simultaneously.

Yea, Clyde Simms is no good for D.C., but I thought he played better than Carroll did with the U.S.

24. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    In a 3-5-2.

United States (3-5-2): 1-Brad Friedel; 23-Eddie Pope, 4-Pablo Mastroeni, 3-Gregg Berhalter; 22-Tony Sanneh, 21-Landon Donovan, 10-Claudio Reyna, 5-John O'Brien, 2-Frankie Hejduk; 7-Eddie Lewis, 20-Brian McBride

25. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but Ursula is telling you to give up your own ideas and look how Arena has used Clark -- and it is not at dmid. The only weakness in his argument regarding how Arena views Clark is that there is very little to go on -- for me, it is possible that Arena wanted to use Clark that way as it was his first game with the Nats.