Marquette University

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by chocolate, Nov 30, 2004.

1. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    milwaukee, WI
    anybody here a graduate from Marquette? or goes to marquette? its been decieded that im going there and i just wanted to know a little bit more about it!
    And i have never been to any catholic school, i havent even heard of catholic schools before! and i dont know much about catholics either! how do they differ from normal schools?
    thank you.

2. DutchOven

DutchOven Red Card

Nov 16, 2004
    Yes, they make you go to Catholic church services daily, and you must complete Religion classes to graduate. And Marquette is an all-male school. :D

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    True, but keep in mind that they used to make students go every three or four hours round the clock. So they've toned it down a bit.

And Chocolate, I hope you see that he's joking. There are probably required religious classes, but they're not Catholic indoctrination seminars or anything like that, and the school is not all-male, unless there's something about my sister-in-law that my brother never told me.

Anyway, here's the school's website. A few clicks should answer most of your questions.

http://www.marquette.edu/

4. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    milwaukee, WI
    LOL ive checked the website how do u think i ve applied!i was just wondering whats it like from an "insider"!
    yes i know hes joking,
    and i wouldnt mind if it was an all men school after all i do have two bobies.

5. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've got a good basketball team.

That's all I got.

6. mellowjohnny

mellowjohnny Member

Nov 4, 2004
    USA
    hey,
    i go to marquette now. Basically the only difference from Marquette than a secular school is that you have to take a minimum of two religion classes. The first one is an introduction to theology class taught from a Christian perspective. Everyone in the school has to take it and how it is depends a lot on the teacher you have. It acts basically as history of Catholic tradition following along the Bible and the development of Catholic thought through history. My teacher for the class wasn't even a Catholic, a southern baptist i believe. Anyway its taught mostly by graduate students since its an introductory course and really made for the lowest common denominator student since everyone has to take it and its usually filled up with freshmen. Depending on what school you're in you have to take 1 or 2 more theology classes, but there are many to choose from and they are generally more literature, history, or philosophy oriented than strict religion.

I believe most of Marquette students are not Catholic, but most are part of some Christian denomination. They dont push this religion stuff down your throat so dont worry. There are opportunities to do Catholic-related activities and groups to join, but you dont have to participate at all. The Catholic influence is seen in the theology classroom, in things like crosses in buildings, and given lipservice by the administration; but I have not found it to be overwhelming or really a part of everyday things unless you seek it out.

Other religions are definitely tolerated and encouraged (there is a Muslim Student Association for example). Also, I see you're from Kuwait and I had been in classes with several people from Kuwait and they all enjoy Marquette.

Hope this helps

7. mellowjohnny

mellowjohnny Member

Nov 4, 2004
    USA
    when we had Dwyane Wade :D , not so much anymore

8. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    milwaukee, WI
    wow thanks. yeah that helped a lot. thank you so much. yeah theres nearly 20 kuwaities there got all their numbers! :D most of them say they enjoy it. again thanks for the info.