Mark van Bommel

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by jonam, Nov 4, 2004.

1. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If the're still in the top four come January, Everton FC might be in for him. they inquired about him in the summer about his availability & it is known that the manager will have money to spend when the transfer window opens.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I read in the paper today that Koeman's interested in Van Bommel.

3. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah? humph. i'm sure PSV would rather outsource him to another league (england, germany), than sell him to one of the're
    biggest rivals.

Still if we did get him i'd be happy but at the same time worried about who we'd loose (Rafi VdV, whinny Wesley, etc...)

4. pingudoDELETED

pingudoDELETED New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    that w ould be great

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Van Bommel desperate for Spurs to bid for him.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/Article.asp?id=239231

6. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It seems that it is Mark himself who is dreaming of a move to the mighty Spurs. :)

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

my general feeling is that the people who said that were ignorant as hell - spurs should be so lucky

this kind of makes the idea of them selling him make a little bit of sense, because they would lose so much more going into the CL knockout and the second half of the season without him

regardless, i think they are as dumb as a wet sack of hammers if they sell him in january for 700K... they could pay off any investors with their prize monies

van bommel told them he wasn't interested, that they were too small time... wonder if he'll sing the same tune now

yes, that would be known as a "pipe dream" - that would be the kind of transfer that could start a red sox curse... psv would not win a title for 80 years, always agonizingly close but never winning in the end

sounds good to me - i'll take him... hell, i'll help him move into his new flat

8. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    :rolleyes:

Mark's problem is that he's always a bit too polite when being asked about other clubs in interviews. Someone asked him about Ajax looking for a player like him last week, so now he's going there too...

:D

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    PSV today says no club has officially approached them for Van Bommel. Van Bommel himself expects they'll come for him during the christmas transfer window. Hiddink stated that money isn't an issue - they'll try and keep him till the end of the season even if that means they won't get any money for him.

10. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    News here in Germany are somehow confusing.

- According to Spanish "AS" MvB signed a pre-contract with Real Madrid last summer already.

- According to yesterday's English "Daily Mirror" MvB states that he would love to join Tottenham Hotspurs as it is a big club and sleeping giant. Plus he knows the director and manager(coach very well.

- According to yesterday's (!) German daily tabloid "Bild" they interviewed MvB and he was quoted that he still wants to join Borussia Dortmund and hopes a transfer would take place in winter break.

That were the news. Now my opinion:

The Real rumour is highly unlikely. First of all it isn't allowed to sign players 12 months prior to contract expiration but the main point is that I have very good sources that BVB's president Dr Niebaum, MvB and PSV already had transfer talks this late summer (August). It was just a matter of offered transfer money. MvB wouldn't have talked to BVB if he already had signed a contract with Real. Plus Real's "El Butre" stated this autum that MvB could become a transfer target next summer. He wouldn't have said that if they already had signed him.

It will be decided between Borussia Dortmund and Tottenham Hotspurs (or any other EPL club that needs a quality defensive midfielder), I guess.

Arguments in favour of BVB are that he could keep his house in the Netherlands where also his kids go to school (130km to Dortmund). His father-in-law (Bert van Marwijk) is at the moment coach of Borussia Dortmund. And he could play in front of an average attendance of 75.000+ every second week.

On the other hand his salary in EPL would surely be higher (plus lower taxes) and the league is more competitive (but not as balanced as Bundesliga). Plus Tottenham could be the ones to open the cash bag and pay some transfer bucks this winter while BVB is in financial trouble and have to consider each spending twice.

I hope that we sign him as I think he is a great player. Hopefully we find the cash resources to sign him this winter.

11. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Why doesn't he give a direct straight answer and say he's coming to Munich. Bayern will sign him just so he doesn't go to Dortmund and he will warm the bench all the time :)

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I think he's in two minds. He loves English football and that's what his football is probably most suited for, but Spuds just isn't good enough.

I reckon its between Real Madrid and Dortmund.

13. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm a big MvB fan. I read via matchtracker that he had a very good match vs. Arsenal. I am still shocked that he is still on PSV. If they weren't doing so well overall this season, I bet he would be gone. He probably will still leave anyway.

14. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Certainly on current form aren't good enough, but with some stability, Spurs should do very well indeed in the not-too-distant future.

Spurs have some top-rated talent in the first team and coming through the ranks.

Naturally, if Real Madrid came calling he would answer the call. Let's face it, who wouldn't? But thats not to say that Spurs and Dortmund don't have a strong case for winning his signature should the Madrid rumour prove incorrect.

The case for Dortmund --

"Arguments in favour of BVB are that he could keep his house in the Netherlands where also his kids go to school (130km to Dortmund). His father-in-law (Bert van Marwijk) is at the moment coach of Borussia Dortmund. And he could play in front of an average attendance of 75.000+ every second week." Jonam

The case against Dortmund --

He could keep his house in the Netherlands anyway. It's only a short 'plane trip from London.
    Who in their right mind would want to with for/with their Father-In-Law?
    Hard to dispute the average attendance bit.
    BVB are in debt of around E70mil (correct me if I'm wrong! i know you will!)
    The German League is hardly inspiring.

The case for Spurs --

"On the other hand his salary in EPL would surely be higher (plus lower taxes) and the league is more competitive (but not as balanced as Bundesliga). Plus Tottenham could be the ones to open the cash bag and pay some transfer bucks this winter while BVB is in financial trouble and have to consider each spending twice." Jonam

And to add to that case for is the all round depth of quality in the EPL. Blackburn, currently bottom, have the US #1 GK, the Scottish captain in midfield, Brett Emerton in midfield, Turkish int'l Tugay plus others I've forgotten. Who have the current bottom team in Germany got?

If ticket prices in the EPL were as cheap as those in the Bundesliga, then Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Villa, Liverpool, Everton, plus at least 2 or 3 other clubs would get Dortmund-esque gates. the cheapest ticket for Spurs is £30.

Then there's the Jol/Arnesen connection.

A young and improving squad, which includes some of the best young talent in the UK.

The case against Spurs --

Let's face it, they're pretty dire at the moment.
    They have never been in the Champions League and won't be for at least 4 or 5 years (thats an optimistic forecast).
    London isn't close to Holland.

And thats it. Please add your own.

PSV have also stated that no-one has come in for him anyway. I think some of the quotes attributed to him in the English press are truthful, but he's just keeping his options open. If he was to say, "Spurs? You're having a laugh!" It would close a possibly lucrative door for him. So yeah, he's being intelligent.

15. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I hope he will end up at Dortmund. Having said this, I also think that realistically speaking he deserves a better club than either of these two are at the moment. Something between them and Real. Maybe that's why he's been sitting on the fence for a while?

As for your comparison of EPL and Bundesliga, nicely hand picked facts. Of course the EPL is better, but the Bundesliga is far more balanced. Much less predictable, which makes it exciting if you like unpredictability. Or maybe you are happy knowing that your potatoes won't reach the top 5 in the next decade, but won't be relegated either. A sense of security I guess!

16. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    If you want to see your children grow each da and they live in Eindhoven it is next to impossible to make this trip twice each day to and from London. BVB's debt's were 118 Mio Euro as per last July. :-(

At all a nice well balanced posting!

17. Jimmy32

Jimmy32 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Amsterdam
    If Mark keeps on putting up performances like he did last night, I think the bidding-war will intensify. He was very, very good last night, and this is coming from someone who is not one of his fans. He absolutely controlled the game with his pace and desire, and he also knew perfectly when to foul to break up Arsenal's counter. Outstanding performance, and I think Real Madrid will end up with him, just because he personifies what they need: toughness, desire, etc.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yep I told the Arsenal board that I thought he was man of the match last night. He's got that real winner's mentality, very similar to Ruud. Annoying barstewards on the pitch the both of them, but very effective. I hope San Marco puts him back in his starting XI.

19. Jimmy32

Jimmy32 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Amsterdam

If he plays like this for Oranje... let's just say I'm very excited about the possibilities. And he is still pretty young too!

20. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    True enough. If he kicks A*senal players like he did yesterday then he'd be more than welcome at Spurs. Today's newspapers are filled with A*se players whinging about MvB's tackles and the fact he didn't get booked, whereas there's were always penalised. :D

arthur d

What is it with this 'Spuds' sh1t? You're beginning to sound like a proper prick.

Another thing going for Spurs in the 'Spurs or Dortmund' debate, is the fact the Spurs aren't in Germany. It's a major plus point, as I'm sure 99% of Dutch people will agree!

I have to agree with Jimmy32. Both Spurs and Dortmund can't compete with Madrid if it comes down to a race for his signature.

21. Jimmy32

Jimmy32 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Amsterdam
    If it comes down to money, Madrid has it won.
    If it comes to prestige, and CL football, again Madrid.
    Spurs have a Dutch manager, that's the only plus I can think of.
    Dortmund is the closest.

But who really knows what goes on in MvB's mind?

22. Qaabus

Qaabus New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    No, that's not an issue. I don't know anybody having troubles with Makaay playing in Germany either.

23. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Plus we have zillions of Dutch tourists invading Germany every weekend! ;-)

24. Qaabus

Qaabus New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    We have to put up with zillions of Germans tourists digging holes on our beaches :p

25. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Nothing wrong with a proper German 'Strandburg'. You dig a hole, surround it by walls made of sand, find a piece of wood, scribble the words 'Besetzt' on it, and put up your German flag (bought for next to nothing in Zandvoort). Hard work (especially writing Besetzt on a piece of wood, I have been through this several times), but worth the effort. It's very popular in Denmark too.