Mark van Bommel

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by jonam, Nov 4, 2004.

1. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Hello everybody! This thread is installed to discuss about Mark van Bommel.

Borussia Dortmund seems to be seriously interested in van Bommel. As I do write for online fanzine http://www.schwatzgelb.de in my spare time, I wanted to do an article about Mark van Bommel (and Philipp Degen of Basle who already signed for BVB). I know him from the Dutch national team and European appearances with PSV Eindoven (btw, I remember being on the Dynamo festival at Eindhoven airport back in 1995 -> cracking), and can value some of his strengthes and weaknesses. My plea is that those of you who know him very well (by TV or live in stadium) describe what type of player he is on and off the pitch. The more detailed...the better!

Every response is welcomed and my rep-bag is sooo opened. ;-)

2. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Rumour has it that Bayern are also interested, and apparently Real Madrid as well. Anyone knows where he wants to go?

3. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    Leyton Orient. :p

4. Jimmy32

Jimmy32 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Amsterdam
    I would assume that he would want to go to Real, because they're the best club.

As for Mark as a player, He's a very good defensive midfielder, but I think he's a little overrated in attack. I just don't think he is as good as other people think he is.

5. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    He is a very competitive physical player. He plays all out. At times, he tries to do too much.

6. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    hmm. i had a image of him as a mean guy who isnt afraid to criticze his teammates.

7. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Real are the best club... in their dream world they are. Best way of wasting your talent, going to Real. Anyway maybe better to stay in Holland, seems to be the best place in Europe for talented players to develop their skills.

8. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You do realise van Bommel is 27, and is probably past the stage to 'develop his skills'?

Maybe Madrid has a bigger chance (if they actually try to get him) but I remember that he would have rather gone to Dortmund, instead of the available English clubs because it would have meant he could still live in Holland (or that it's easier to visit the family because it's just a drive away or something) So that might not be the only decider: if a club is better or not.

You're probably thinking of Waterreus ;)

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Oranje use him as a defensive midfielder but he doesn't play that way for PSV, he's allowed to be far more attacking for them.

I do think he'd be a great asset for any top team, mainly because of his mentality. He's one of few Dutch footballers with that absolute winners mentality, and he's tough as nails at it. He's most similar to Roy Keane I reckon.

10. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
  11. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Frank Arnesen has announced that if Spurs sign a player in the transfer window, it'll be MvB.

Seeing the PSV connection between Arn and MvB, plus the new appointment of Dutchman Martin Jol as Spurs head-coach, I'd have to say that Spurs would be contenders for his signature. MvB did say pre-season that Arnesen's appointment at Spurs changed his mind, and he became more interested. I guess Spurs are a credible destination for the PSV player.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    With PSV he plays in the CL, and it looks like they'll qualify for the next round. Why would he give that up for a mid-table premiership team who don't even play in Europe? Dream on.

13. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You mean like Rommedahl did? I'll keep dreaming thanks.

I was only reporting what was written in several papers over here in the UK.

14. Pattrick

Pattrick New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    But on the other hand: PSV wants to ditch him this winter because his contract ends this summer...

15. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    Financially PSV is better off profiting from Van Bommel's experience and cashing in through results in the Champions league instead of selling him for a few euro's.
    Wouldn't surprise me if he went to Madrid this summer, don't think he's going to Tottenham, he'd probably prefer Dortmund over London regarding the "family situation".

16. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    When you can take Ryanair to Eindhoven for next to nothing, you wonder.

17. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Exactly my opinion of van Bommel. Dortmund absolutely need a player like that.

18. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    I heard that back then when PSV bought van Bommel from Fortuna Sittard a group of investors made the money for the transfer available. So they are now eager not to let van Bommel go for free next summer and are thus imposing some pressure on the PSV officials to sell him this winter. Even for a small transfer fee.

19. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Yes but does van Bommel need Dortmund? Not all is well there just now... I'd rather play for PSV at the mo.

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He's got loads of clubs interested in him, Dortmund and Real Madrid and other Spanish teams too. I imagine he'd want to play European games at least.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well sorry but I think the English media's opinion of the premiership is a bit inflated. The Dutch league might be mickey mouse but Spurs really isn't a step up from PSV.

22. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Yep, sad but true...

23. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    True maybe, but you still didn't answer my question.

The general feeling held on the Spur Bigsoccer board (not held by me) is that MvB is an overrated, injury-prone moaner, and that Spurs has enough of them.

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I don't really know how people rate him outside Holland so I can't judge whether he's overrated either. Injury-prone he's not, and he's no moaner either. In Holland he's known as the hard-working, tough as nails type with leadership qualities.

25. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Any news or speculations regarding van Bommel?