Mark Gonzalez, Albacete

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Javi10, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Javi10

Javi10 New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Liverpool are about to sign 20 year old Chilean and Albacete left winger M.Gonzalez. First of all he is an extremely speedy winger, he played 25 games for Albacete, scoring 5 goals including one against Barcelona and 2 against Valencia, he also made an incredible number of assists and has played a numebr of games, more than 70%, for the Chilean national team including the 1-1 tie against Brail and 2-2 tie against Argentina in River Plate's stadium in the WC 2006 qualifiers. He also played in the 2004 South American Olympic qualifiers where he was one of the tournament's stars and led Chile to the quadrangular stage where he scored a tremendous 35 meter freee kick against the U-23 Brazil squad. He could play as a left midfield or left back or as a left forward in a wing play, 4-3-3 formation. Post your comments ;)

2. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm looking forward to seeing him play, especially if he's a gifted free kick taker, something which we have lacked recently. too bad he was injured, but at least he can acclimate to liverpool before aking his debut.

3. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    It's good to sign someone with that much versatility down the left side. If he's as good as you say he is, this is a very good signing.

4. Bjornebye

Bjornebye Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Grimstad
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Brings a tear to Stig's eyes. Not in such a bad way.

Stig

5. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a promising signing. Certainly seems like he scores in big games when it matters the most.

He's only going to be on loan though, with an option to buy, correct?

6. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    This is a fantastic opportunity for him. He'll have the chance to feature in many games this season but like everyone else in the squad he'll have to prove himself. I hope he recovers quickly and well because if he can't afford to have a slow start.

7. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope he keeps all his speed after ACL (and it is anterior- ugh.) recovery. We've all seen players lose that pop after this kind of injury, but he is quite young, so that bodes well for recovery, at least.

8. kingb71

kingb71 Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Toronto
    What does this mean for Riise?
    Does he go back to left back?

9. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    It is going to be very competitive on that left side.

LB - either Warnock, Traore or Riise
    LW - Kewell, Warnock, Zenden, Riise or Gonzalez

Rafa has plenty of options and I'm sure he likes it that way.

10. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    If that last part is true, what would be wrong with this?

-----------Reina----------
    Finnan-Carra-Hyppia--Riise
    ----------Hamman--------
    -----Gerrard---Alonso-----
    Cisse------Moro---Gonzo--

Although Gonzalez might be too young at this point.

11. Dundalis

Dundalis New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Gonzalez seems to have a lot in common with a certain Robben when he joined Chelsea. Both 20 years of age, both left wingers who are super quick, both relatively unknown but highly rated and both having their debut lengthened by a few months because of injury. Doubt he will have the same impact, but hopefully he can be 3/4 the player Robben is.

12. kingb71

kingb71 Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Toronto
    Nothing, except I'd move Gonzo back to midfield.

13. lfcfan858

lfcfan858 New Member

May 19, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I suppose this could be all talk, but the kid seems to have decent character. I'm very excited to see what he can do.

http://liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N149278050708-0850.htm
    Gonzalez, who earned the nickname 'Speedy' from team-mates at his former club, believes he'll be back playing again by November and then he intends wasting no time in proving his manager right after he labelled him 'the best young player in Chile'.

"I have to wait until November for a full recovery but then I will demonstrate on the pitch what Rafa said about me," he said. "I felt very happy with what Rafa said, knowing that I'm injured and there are other players having good spells.

"It's a great challenge to be in a team full of stars and which are the European champions.

"I'm the only Chilean footballer that is playing in a giant team in any country. ​

14. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Robben is a RM.

Well, my point was that, if he's capable of playing down the entire left side, at LB, LM, and LF, why not play a 4-3-3 (Or really, a 4-1-2-3, if we're technical)? If Gonzo was moved back to midfield, you would probably play with one striker and put Garcia or someone at right mid.

I assume that Gonzo has a tendency towards attacking or defending, but having never seen him play, I don't know what it is.

15. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you seen him play? Robben is arguably the best left-sided players in the world. Mourinho moved Duff over to the right so that he could play Robben in his natural position of left wing.

The more I read about Gonzo the more excited I get.

I would say that Robben had a lot more hype surrounding him than Gonzo currently does, but I like the comparison.

16. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Am I just really confused right now, because I could have sworn Robben played on the right side.:confused:

17. lfcfan858

lfcfan858 New Member

May 19, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, you are really confused :D Occasionally you'd see Robben float over to the right or roam a little, but he's definitely a lefty. In fact, that was what was funny about Mourinho signing Robben after Duff. Before we knew that he would play Duff on the right I just envisioned a lot of egotistical battling over that left wing position. I think that's why he's going for SWP, so he can play somebody who's naturally suited on the right side.

18. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If chelski buy SWP,i think we should make a bid for duff!With the 10 million we have left(after the sissoko capture),i guess it should be enough to get duff.

19. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    I disagree. Need to seal up the defense. That has to be a priority.

20. lfcfan858

lfcfan858 New Member

May 19, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    That would be a very tough decision to make. If Duff were to hypothetically become available, I think it would be wise to consider making a move for him despite our defensive needs before somebody else swoops in. We are fresh from our CL triumph and are in a particularly good position to attract players. If we passed on a player of his caliber, we risk letting him settle and becoming a star at another club, ultimately making a move at that time difficult. I'd hate to be the one who has to decide between a tactical transfer and a very good opportunity. Although I suppose given that there is no talk of Duff currently being available, this would be a good problem to have! :)