Mario Rodriguez at Sonnenhof Großaspach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Pl@ymaker, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what this says since I don't understand German

http://www.fck.de/de/aktuell/news/details/article/9439-trainingsauftakt-bei-der-u17-und-der-u19.html

Google Translated

In addition to numerous players move up after the successful promotion to the Junior B league with a win under its belt from the U17, Gunther Metz could Karsten air (SV Darmstadt 98) and the U.S. Junior National player Mario Rodriguez, from the youth academy in LA Galaxy to the Red Devils will change, also welcome two new additions to the lawn.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  3. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to the number of players from the Junior B league team (U-17) who just won promotion, two new additions are welcomed: Gunther Metz and Karten Luft (SV Darmstadt 98) and the US Junior National Team player Mario Rodrigues, from the LA Galaxy youth academy, will join the Red Devils.

Give or take what you took from google.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Are you assuming he will get 1st team action in Germany but not MLS?

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Granted Reserve Team in Germany is a better situation than MLS reserve team.

6. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is going to be with the U-19 team not the reserve team.

7. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Mendiola's HG deal should be official within the next month or so.

Galaxy might not have wanted to sign him either, they have McBean and Villarreal signed, but best of luck to Mario.

8. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to Mario if true.

I'm interested to hear about this Mendiola business. The longer he stays in the country the better it is for us surely.

9. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same kid, and if the Pachuca business is resolved it'd make sense if the deal got done soon since he joined the Galaxy last July, and needs to be with the Galaxy for a year to qualify as a HG. He can trial with Man City and Arsenal all he wants, but a work permit will always be the issue. It also means that he has cleared up his residency status since he can leave and come back to the US at will. If and when Mendiola is signed by the Galaxy we should know at least whether he has his green card or not, judging by if he'll fill an international roster spot.

10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    According to his Twitter, he just moved from San Bernardino to Los Angeles (hour away) and got his own place. I can only think of one reason for that....

But I don't want to turn this into a thread about Raul.

11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    And you mentioned him first saying he'll be gone soon, and you're now backtracking

12. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    And where's your proof that Raul is the next to leave? Because he trialed at Man City and they liked him? Like Werdman89 pointed out, can you tell me how Raul would qualify for a UK work permit?

He's also been 18 for a couple months now, so he's been free to sign somewhere in Mexico or a league that doesn't really have non-EU rules like Germany.

And back to Mario, nobody really knows if the Galaxy wanted to sign him right now if they could. They have two HG FW's already signed in McBean and Villareal. If the Galaxy are going to sign more HG players, it will probably be MF's and DF's like Mendiola, Javan Torre, etc. Regardless, this is a good move for Mario.

13. NatsTeamFan

NatsTeamFan Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Don't want to sidetrack the thread too much, but I've never heard anything definite on Mendiola's citizenship. can anyone confirm if he already has a green card or how close he is?

14. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Klein answers all questions related to Mario Rodriguez. He's signed with Kaiserslautern.
    http://www.lagalaxy.com/blog/scoops...en-training-stint-rodriguez-joins-german-club

xbhaskarx, USvsIRELAND and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, they will help him develop into his true potential great move by Mario.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Nobody on here knows for sure, but if/when he signs with MLS, it will be known whether he takes up an int'l spot or not. His mother is married to an American citizen, so my guess is that was the angle being pursued. As Werdman pointed out, he likely has a visa, otherwise he wouldn't have been allowed back in the U.S. legally after trialing with Man City.

There's a thread on the YNT forum that tackles the immigration issues.

Mario played his deck of cards well. Joined the Galaxy DA after Bradenton, committed to UCLA, and obviously had his eyes on Europe.

17. ami-berliner

ami-berliner Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that FIFA takes kindly to national teams allowing players to represent them without a corresponding citizenship. If it is the case that he still doesn't have citizenship, then the US is taking a big risk:
    I would assume that the USSF has checked and double checked.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have the players confused here. I don't think there is an question on Mario Rodriquez's US citizenship (he's on the rosters you linked; Mendiola isn't). NatsTeamFan was asking about the citizenship of Raul Mendiola. I don't think we have seen an update on Mendiola's citizenship lately.

19. ami-berliner

ami-berliner Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We've had non citizens play in the Milk Cup. They don't usually do it unless they think a player has a chance to get citizenship. THe Milk Cup isn't a FIFA tournament. It's basically just a club tournament where they use national team names. The only tournaments that matter are the U-17s, U-20s and Olympics.

21. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  22. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep checking periodically to find out how he is doing for Kaiserslautern's U-19 team, but it can be hard to get complete lineups. I will try to see what I can find out.

23. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    fussball.de should have complete line-ups for every game.

24. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't read German. Someone relay how he's doing?

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not playing

soccersubjectively repped this.