Marcus Haber Signs for West Brom (England)

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by LeGooner, Jan 6, 2010.

1. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I have my reasons for my dislike of this player and his attitude towards his former teammates and the club that gave him a chance here in Canada.

2. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You mean after he returned to Canada after some time in the Netherlands with FC Groningen :rolleyes::D

3. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I was referring to the Whitecaps who gave him a chance to make a name for himself over here; only for him to turn his back for some pipe dream he is not good enough to achieve. All the while treating his teammates with arrogance.

4. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ignoring IronSheik so far one of the best decisions I have done on BS.

5. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    you're beginning to sound like the Sheik-- going on and on about nothing-- i think us soccer board members can make up our own mind about deleting the Sheik without you leading the 'cattle call'

your campaign to ignore him is as repetitive as the Sheik's comments, but more manipulative!

6. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    yes, but all the minions will follow "whiteisthecolor" blindly without thinking for themselves. People dislike my opinions so instead of open debate they hide behind ignore buttons.

7. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    wow you fail m8 seriously it was whiteisthecolor who posted that thread so shut up and learn to read, I'm leading no campaign against him so get your facts or don't post.

8. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And, for the record, I was neither leading a cattle call nor a campaign. I have deduced from the comments made in this forum that several people are very frustrated by the type of things Iron Sheik posts on this board. A few weeks ago someone showed me how to put users on "Ignore" and I thought it would be good to let people know how to do it if they cared to do so. I am not trying to convince anyone to do so, and I don't care how many people do or do not ignore him; I did want to let people know how to do it, so I created a thread with a very specific title so that those who were interested in the subject could get information -- kind of the whole point of a thread, you know. Read the thread and you'll see that I in now way lead a tirade against Sheik, I just spell out the steps for ignoring him.

So now you can make up your mind. But if you didn't know "ignoring" was an option (as I didn't) then you couldn't make up your mind about it, since you would not have known you had an option.

If you all want to talk to Sheik, great: more power to you. How could it possibly make any difference to me whether or not you talk to him? I was just happy to find a way to exclude his voice from those on this board who really love the Caps and want to (in good faith) chat about the team. I have no interest in manipulating anyone and have made no steps to do so. If I had wanted to be manipulative, I would have labelled the thread something like "Ronaldinho speaking to Nash and Soehn" and then gone on a rant about Sheik's pettiness and semantics and deceit, etc. But I did nothing of the sort.

Now, can you please grow up and stop berating poor WhiteCapArmy, who did nothing to deserve your syntactically incorrect and grammatically ill-conceived rebuke?

Thanks! Cheers!

9. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    YOu think the 95% of people who buy tickets for Caps games are not supporters of the club (Even thought there would be no club without them; 200 southsiders don't keep the Caps in business).

So, really, you lack crediblity in the real world and only your small group of Big Soccer buddies care what you have to say.

10. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    latest game for haber in the scottish league- st johnstone-2-1 win at home

attendance= 3 349

haber's contribution- came on at the 88th minute, no goals/assists

and this is supposed to help his progress as a professional soccer player!!??

11. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Are you trying to be cheeky or are you simply lazy?

Five SPL matches, four starts.

12. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    if he was soooo good in his 4 starts, why would he be benched in game 5??? and how many goals/assists has he scored for st J-- i believe 1?

attacking another person's opinions and character are simpletons trying to intimidate-- a great bully tactic :cool:

the question i am raising is, 'why would haber seek his fortunes in a league that has no higher quality (except for rangers and celtic) than the caps/NASL, especially considering their rise to MLS next year?' i really believe his best hope of becoming a professional soccer player is in NA, and even that goal is limited IMO

as far as i know, he has 3 goals in about the last 30 games he has played in (2 with the Caps and 1 with st j)-- not the kind of potential that warrents his goal of reaching euro in a quality league-- he needs to 'wake up and smell the coffee'-- he has limited potential and playing in the SPL with a lower league team will NOT enhance his opportunities-- his best hope would have been with the Caps and MLS

when he is cut by west brom, i hope the Caps do not take him back

13. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  14. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

thx for the compliment-- at least the Shiek wrote to stimulate others to respond mostly with anger and disgust; i found him to be humorous, as i did not take his comments too seriously, and sometimes insightful - long threads accompanied him- most of the Caps supporters express the same points of view-- like monkey see, monkey do-- if a writer takes a different point of view than them, they attack with vigor and complain to the Big Soccer Board moderators, finally resulting in the Sheik being banned

no one should feel intimidated or threatened with extermination from this Board for expressing different, maybe contentious, sometimes ridiculous, views

i wish haber well, but he will be back on this side of the pond in short order-- if u had have been following my comments on haber, you would know that i have not changed my point of view-- he plays with heart, passion, committment, aggression, but is simply not good enough technically to be able to score-- which is his main role as striker-- at a higher level than USL/NASL-- if u remember on his short visit to play with the Caps this summer, haber scored 2 goals (1 on a PK) in the 11 games he played

IMO, haber should have stayed with the Caps another year and try to improve on his 2009 season, get more experience and establish himself as a proven goal-scorer; it could also have increased his chances of sticking with the Caps as they go to MLS in 2011-- i doubt that we will ever see him in a Caps MLS jersey

the reality for haber is that, for the most part except for the glasgow teams, he will play in stadiums that have less attendance than the Caps do-- i dont see going to the SPL as a good step for his career-- if he ever made it to rangers or celtic, then that would be great-- but that will not happen

15. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    I'm not trying to run you off at all. You posted something that was hopelessly incomplete and selective. I called you on it. I don't agree with your response, but at least now you've made fuller case.

----------
    To finish the thought, Haber didn't send himself to Scotland, West Brom did. He signed for a Championship club now in the Premiership. But you and others make an argument that basically says he shouldn't have taken the risk, he shouldn't have pushed himself, he should have realized he wasn't any good and stayed here.

At St. Johnstone, he's in a squad that also has Sam Parkin, who has been a very efficient lower-league target guy in England. Unless they decide to use both of them (which has happened some), Haber battles for a place in the starting XI with an experienced guy with a decent track record. Doesn't that help him get better?

16. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    obviously haber's contract with west brom allows for him to be loaned out-- but going to the SPL, except for rangers or celtic, is really a demotion-- and if he cant make an impression there, his days are limited with west brom

i still think he should have pushed himself here with the caps and try and improve his skills and stats from 2009-- i just dont think he had developed enough b4 trying euro soccer-- and his stats would suggest that

the soccer world is filled with guys who have size, hustle, aggression, athleticism, passion for the game-- all this haber has

while a player can develop some skill for scoring, usually a player has it or not-- its a natural gift to be in the right place at the right time, and then put the ball in the back of the net at least 30-50% of the time-- haber does not have that ability-- no amount of hustle will overcome that-- its unique for a striker IMO-- and haber does not have this

i still think his best possibilty was with the caps and try and make the squad for MLS-- he may rue his missed opportunity here

the idea that a young NA must try euro soccer hopefully comes to an end some day and he sees the NA game as his best chance for a professional career

17. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    sportie: I'd humbly suggest that Iron Shiek was banned or suspended because of constant infringements of the Terms of Use agreement and the continuous violations against the wishes and warnings of the moderators.

Not one of us posters got him banned so to speak.

About Haber and the SPL: The SPL sends 1 -4 teams to European football a year... And Haber was sent there, he didnt sign up for St Johnstone per se...

Your entitled to your opinions. I humbly disagree with them/it on this case.

cheers,

18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Shiek was banned. He just quit.

19. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    my assumption is that some1 in the top leadership level of the Southsiders contacted the Board moderators and got him banned

at least he stirred controversy-- from time to time , i had to agree with him, in particular with the waterfront stadium (will NEVER happen) and haber's ability to make a career in european soccer (wont happen; he might be a better central defender than a striker!!)

most other othertimes, Sheik was completely off the wall and only was writing to create controversy and 'pull guys chains' (which he did successfully with some)-- i read his comments and then chose to laugh along with him when some reacted-- i was amazed that some kept the dialogue going with him; it was like 'stoking his engine'

getting him banned was ridiculous!! freedom of speech and all that stuff

enough said-- he's gone and the Board carries on

20. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    I think it was a case where everyone put Iron Shiek on their ignore list for him to take a hint.

21. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    a guy like the Sheik doesn't quit or run and hide because people are ignoring him-- he thrives in that kind of contest

NO-- people, like some of the southsiders, had him banned by asking/demanding the Board moderators to do it-- if i am wrong then the Board moderators in the soccer sky can tell me otherwise

i just dont believe that the Sheik gave up the ghost because people were ignoring/encouraging others to do so

this is a comment board and people should be able to comment, no matter how ridiculous the person is with his/her comments-- responding to him/heronly fueled his/her thirst to be noticed

now wouldn't that be something if the Sheik were a woman!!

anyways this is a forum about haber and i have said my piece-- and i hope i am wrong and he surpasses my comments and makes a career at a high professional soccer level

22. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    this week's game vs Dundee-- a 2-1 loss; haber came on at the 63 rd minute- no goals/no assists

23. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    this weeks home game vs Hibernian

came on at the 76th minute and scored in the 91st-- way to go!!

attendance- 3 819

24. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  25. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    He also got his first senior cap for Canada coming off the bench against Ukraine a couple weeks ago.