Marco's Shoelaces

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Hedbal, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the deal with Marco methodically retying his laces at least once during each and every game he plays? Usually it is during the run of play, but Sunday it was just before his PK. I've seen him do it twice during matches, meaning that the first time didn't get the job done. Since making sure your laces are tied is one of the first things you teach 6-year olds, I'm assuming that this is a time-wasting technique taught at that Bolivian academy Marco attended. Any thoughts?

2. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    The Real Reason

He has snacks tucked into his socks, and retying his shoes is just cover.

3. DCFAN

DCFAN Member

Apr 5, 1999
    I have noticed that he re-ties his laces everytime he takes a corner or free kick. It seems to be a nervous habit.

4. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Re: The Real Reason

:D That's pretty damn funny!

I have seen this shoe-tying thing from Marco many many times (I pointed it out a couple times during the game on Sunday), and it is a psychological time-wasting thing. It happens usually after he is fouled, before he takes a set piece kick, or when he is being subbed out. If he feels, and he usually does, that the game needs to be slowed down or broken up by a little time-wasting, he goes for the shoelaces.

5. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My theory is that he uses it to help his concentration. For example, there are a lot of mind games played before PKs, but he is down on his knee, getting his mind into what he wants to do. (He's 100% this year on PKs.)

During the game, I think he does it for similar reasons, maybe to lose a mark, or get his mind back on the game, or whatever.

Or maybe his shoe came untied.

6. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He needs velcro!

7. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    You want the pilot to check the fuel level before the plane takes off right?

Plus it's a good time wasting move.

8. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    I always thought it was to make sure the boot was tight so he could strike the ball more accurately and forcefully.

Just make sure everything is in proper alignment (laces properly tucked under the top shoe flap) to make sure there aren't any mis-hits.

But judging from his corner kicks, maybe he should kick barefoot. Or just let Earnie take them.

9. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    He always did that. It has worked plenty of times with people marking him.

Every competitive player has had some sort of superstition ritual before or during a game. The comment about him picking it up during his youthfull days in Tauichi (spelling??) is damn ingnorant.

Players such as Platini Erwin Sanchis is considered one of the best players in the portugal league, Juan Pena just got some award for his performances as a defender (9mill salary) for his club team in spain (Valladolid), Baldiviso was the assist king during his brief tenure in Argentina before being transfered to Japan, then to Saudi Arabia.

My point? The school has made many fine players, including Bolivias best.