Marco Pappa with options abroad

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Guatefc, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you trying to derail this thread? :D

Back to topic, FIFA does not allow women to compete with men, but that may be up to each federation, who knows perhaps it would be better for women to be allowed into co-ed teams be that USLPRO or PDL (the level of most women players not named Marta would play in the USA).

3. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Every woman in the world would look horrible in the pdl.

4. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, I remember USWNT members saying the USWNT routinely gets thumped by college teams in friendlies.

5. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    Thanks for posting. He is definitely gone.

6. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What i get out of that interview is he has had options to go but once those rumors surfaced he began playing like shit and interest in him quickly diminished. He was told that shooting from 45 yards out 6-7 times a game would get him into top Euro clubs easily.

At the 4:20 mark he states: "Not passing to open players on the break is what is sought after in Champions League football. I have perfected this and the long bomb and have received dozens (0) of inquiries about my availability. I will surly invite a move away from Chicago if a bid is made."

The interviewer then informs him he has inside transfer info on his little phone recorder and will share it for a piece of the big transfer fee.

That's what i get from it. I mean, i don't speak Spanish so i could be misreading it.

7. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009

8. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i guess the biggest question is do we agree to a bid and bring in a decent transfer fee in the next month or so? Or do we hold off and let him go for free waiting for the day he returns to MLS and we own his rights?

9. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Take the money and run. Owning the rights would be useful if he was coming back in a couple of years. But it could be more like 5 or 6. And by that point, I hope we have moved on and won trophies with somebody else who chooses not to dribble through 3 defenders.

10. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    Bitter much?

11. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    If that's at me, I was simply addressing the question I quoted. If he wanted to stay, I would welcome him staying. But if he isn't going to sign a contract extension (I think he's in the last year, isn't he?), then there is no reason to let him go on the free just so we can have his rights if he flops and decides to return.

When you lose a player of his quality, you might as well make some money on the deal to try and replace him

12. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  13. djaeb2000

djaeb2000 Member

Jun 6, 2000
    ~~~Arsonists~~~
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If he goes, he needs to go to either Holland, Spain, Portugal, Italy. I think those are the 4 countries he could do well, before trying the EPL.

14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The article (thanks to Google Translate)

Mon July 2, 2012, 06:15 Pappa to Heerenveen From our Editorial Telesport HEERENVEEN - After earlier FC Twente, PSV and AZ showed interest, it is now SC Heerenveen that Marco Pappa to the Premier League gets. The attacking midfielder, International of Guatemala, is taken over by the Frisians of the American Chicago Fire. The 24-year old Dad is a creative and easy scoring number ten, which YouTube has created a furore as the maker of some of the world goals. Where FC Twente coach Steve McClaren and AZ coach Gertjan Verbeek were not convinced of its qualities, Dad has the new SC Heerenveen coach Marco van Basten is happy. According to reports in the American press, the Frisians only a minimal transfer fee of 600,000 euros having to count down for Daddy.

I like that they translate "Pappa" as Dad and Daddy.

If true, I think $750,000 (600,000 euro) for letting Pappa go three months early is not a bad fee, especially since the alternative would be to let him go for free after the season. Plus, we save half of his salary (which, admittedly, is a bargain at $140,000).

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Well, this might come as quite a shock to Marco. Don't let the paternity suit hit you in the ass on the way out Marco. ;):D

(Obviously just kidding on all counts. I'd love to see him stay, but this is his time to take a shot, so Godspeed Marco Pappa.)

16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They couldn't find a picture from after he got done with puberty and his skin cleared up?

Saeyddthe and burningfire repped this.
  17. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ....life is unfaaaaair.

18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    He's done?

19. CHthirteen

CHthirteen Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Chicago
    only a matter of time.. figured that's why they brought Alex on for him last game.

20. mitrita

mitrita Member

Aug 6, 2002
    NL
    Article in the Telegraaf is based on the rumours on the internet.
    Not to be taken seriously in this case as a source.

21. burningfire

burningfire Member+

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    :ROFLMAO:
    "Break out year" ?

I PINCH! and DDT5583 repped this.
  22. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008
    I think you have to take the transfer fee. He's not an American player, so I don't see any reason to assume that he'll ever return to MLS.

23. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Don,

If we sell him we lose his MLS rights. If he leaves on a free we get first dibs if he returns, like Rolfe.