Marco Pappa with options abroad

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Guatefc, Jun 6, 2011.

1. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Busted, I fought Hyberbole with Hyperbole :p

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    :D

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chiladd again."

3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh, come on. I was joking about the Fire signing her. Sorry I left off some smiley face or something.

She was the best player overall for the USWNT, but I don't actually want her siging for the Fire.

Lighten up a bit.

4. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know, it wasnt meant to be a rant at you.I've just heard it and read it in numerous places about how the women should be signed by MLS.It seams to happen every 4 years with the womens WC.I know you understand the game much better then to actually consider it.

5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agreed, signing players from the women's world cup would be an unmitigated disaster. There are very few women players in the world who could make it in MLS.

Then again, there are very few players in MLS who can make it in the English Premiership, either.

6. brian boru

brian boru New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Don't you realize by now that if any woman anywhere in the world could compete on a men's professional soccer team she would be offered a contract.
    If any one player in the women's world cup was good enough to play in any of the top 3/4 divisions in any European country, there would be a groundswell of opinion to sign her. Pressure would be put on associations and money would win.

The reality is that it is impossible because women and men are built different.
    When the USA won the WWC in 1999, a local boy's (under 16's) amateur team from California played them prior to the world cup and won 4-0. This team included Mia Hamm.

It would be interesting but will never happen

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I actually haven't heard anyone suggesting this since that 1999 team. Mia actually put the whole discussion to bed. She said it would never happen and that the best the women could ever do against men was to compete against the U17s . . . at best. She completely dismissed the idea and I haven't heard it as a serious suggestion lately.

8. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    0 counts as "very few" so I agree.

9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My god. My post was intended to be a joke, a little levity.

Really, is there nothing better to discuss these days? I guess the ten or fifteen responses pretty much answers my question.

10. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    It's hard to tell these things on the internet. :)

11. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on PTI yesterday, Michael Wilbon gave it a 6% and Tim Cowlishaw (subbing in for Tony Kornheiser) gave it a 60% (MLS signing a US women's national player). Of course the volume was off at the bar and they could have been talking about a marketing ploy or something. More likely expressing little respect for MLS and loads of respect to the ladies who just took 2nd in the WC.

Understanding your post was meant to be a joke, but just adding to the discussion :)

12. brian boru

brian boru New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Somebody back there said a little levity.
    Good because talking about girls playing with the Fire should not really be an honest topic of discussion.

13. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Disagree.

If Jao Plata with the body of a 12 year old can handle the rigors of MLS play...then I think it's up for debate whether a "girl" that's 6ft tall and in top physical shape could handle it. I'm sure someone could do it, they wouldn't dominate and they might be injured a lot. But hell, every team has that player. :D

14. Padre Joe

Padre Joe New Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Cortland, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if a field player could hack it but I think Hope Solo might be an upgrade for a bunch of MLS teams.

15. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Can you imagine any of the women up against Wilman Conde? Its farcical to think any of the women could endure.

16. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sounders players think it's a "shocker" of an idea, but heartily approve.

17. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    She wouldnt stand a chance, she's never faced the kind of shots she would face in the mens game.The velocity of the shots on top of how quick a player in MLS could shoot when the ball is at their feet would be a huge factor.Also her size would hinder her ability in keeping opposing players from challenging her in the box.She would get ripped to shreds in MLS, it's simple fact.One of the glaring weaknesses for the USWNT when they play U-16 Boys ODP teams is the GK position.The boys usually lose the possesion game then quickly counter outmuscling and out running the Ladies, then they usually very easily just pound the ball past the GK.

The USWNT loses regularly by huge margins to U-16 ODP teams, and I've seen some results where they have lost to 15 year old boys.These are not national team pool kids.Many may not even go onto play even college soccer.Most likely will, a few may turn pro , but these arent the very creme de la creme of US soccer their losing to.

END OF DISCUSSION... and lets get back on track

I dont think Pappa is leaving this season.

18. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There really doesn't seem to be much news on Pappa right now, so, before END OF DISCUSSION:

Just out of curiosity, could you provide a link to some of these games where they lose by huge margins to u-16 teams? I guess I can believe it (the pace of women's soccer is generally so much slower than men's), but I've seen this mentioned before and have never actually seen the facts to back it up.

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23927511&postcount=47

Mr. Warmth Delivers.

20. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    They must approve. I mean, those were their women players out there against Man United in the second half last night, right? It had to be.

21. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Jao Plata is like Five one-two and weighs 140lbs. Are you saying no female player is capable of being at least as physically strong as a man that's five foot tall?

22. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Not even Brienne of Tarth.

Wrong thread?

23. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    imagine driving 50 MPH down a 40 foot wide highway your driving career.. now imagine suddenly being forced to drive 120 MPH down a 8 foot wide hwy.Thats probably giving the women alot more credit then is due.The simple fact isnt just muscling on the ball, it's the fine motor skills that are developed from playing day in and day out against much faster competition.I dont think some people realize the difference in critical thinking, reaction, and ability to finish in much quicker time when it comes to the mesn game.

24. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just want to reaffirm this post that Tom posted a while ago...

the second sentence is key

Most American soccer players do not have the reflexes,muscle memory,or reaction time to suceed in the EPL,La Liga or Serie A.Plain and simple.

25. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This was my prediction from June 14 on this thread. Not gonna tell everybody I told you so, but........