March roster tomorrow

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dspence2311, Mar 14, 2023.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I expect this roster to keep as much of the starting core as possible with some experimentation in order to improve our offense. Stewart explained it best in his exit interview, we expend too much energy to get the goals we need. This is fixed by further familiarity between the core, finding the starting CF and by introducing players who might provide better passing without sacrificing too much our forward defensive efforts. Sure, tactics is also another avenue but not with an interim coach.

2. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Pl@ymaker, xbhaskarx, Kirium and 5 others repped this.
  3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we were playing El Salvador away then it would be a much bigger issue.

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty happy with the roster. Bummer we are missing Adams... but I am shocked Acosta didn't get the call. Maybe because LAFC is playing so many games.?.?

5. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    A better overall roster than we had at the WC.

Namdynamo, xbhaskarx, Kirium and 2 others repped this.
  6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Got pretty much what I wanted: Reyna, Dike, Pepi.

Also happy to see Alan Sonora get a chance with better players. I think he got lost in the shuffle in January a bit, and I would like to see him play a bit with the A team on a decent field. Unfortunately, I think we likely get most of his minutes in Grenada, which I suspect will be neither.

Wish Richards were here, but like seeing McKenzie back in and Trusty get a look.

I have never really seen it with Cardoso with us but just from the roster, it seems like he might get a start.

xbhaskarx and Boysinblue repped this.
  7. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good roster compared to what we’ve been seeing in recent memory. Would have liked to see EPB, Richards, Tillman and Sargent included but overall I’m optimistic.

TimB4Last repped this.
  8. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I want to see that kind of 4-2-3-1. I think we have the ideal personnel for a double pivot of Adams (Acosta) and Musah (LDLT). And Tessman and A. Morris in the wings. And we have exciting g 10s in Reyna, Tillman, Booth and Mahailovic.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Not a single MLS player in the squad? Fascinating.

Definitely signals that Hudson wants to see as many non-domestic players as possible in the one opportunity to see non-MLS players in the 6.5 month gap between matches in December 2022 and June 2023.

WrmBrnr and TimB4Last repped this.
  10. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Surprised not to se CCV. I think he is playing significantly better than several of those CBs. Very happy to see Reynolds though.

xbhaskarx and gogorath repped this.
  11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Miles Robinson is there.

We had January camp and we may see a decent amount of them in the April camp. Add that a good chunk are in CCL (Acosta, Morris, Roldan) and it makes sense to make this more European.

Acosta is the only big surprise for me, with Adams out. But that's partially because I am a Cardoso skeptic. Maybe we're seeing a 4231 this time through, though, which would lessen the need.

12. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Any explanation for no Adams? He seems to be the only obvious starter missing.

I'm also a little curious about Sargent, since he's the other YA who started multiple World Cup games who's missing from this roster. But if we decided to go with 2 strikers, I could see picking Dike and Pepi over him on current form.

13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Miles Robinson is there, but not sure why you’d include him and not Chris Richards if you want to leave MLS guys off.

MLS is playing through the window, so it feels like they might be leaving MLS guys in return for getting them released for the April Mexico game.

Richards seems like a bit omission and CCV to a lesser extent. Sargent not being there is a bit of surprise too, but not a ton of other surprises given they aren’t really calling anyone from MLS.

I imagine Tillman wasn’t good to go, but good to see Booth could make it.

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Hamstring injury for Adams.

gomichigan24 and KALM repped this.
  15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Missed it as I did CTRL + F for "USA", and nothing appeared. I missed that the press release didn't list an abbreviation for the country where Miles Robinson's club is based, unlike how it is written for everybody else.

ArsenalMetro and gomichigan24 repped this.
  16. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I imagine Sargent's out due to injury, maybe that's why Malik is out? If it isn't, they clearly made a mistake there. I don't have time to look under the hood right now, but very, very disappointed to see Tillman and a few others out and very happy to see Pepi and Reyna in (and Booth). I'm also confused by the tiny roster, Mexico went with more than 30, we went with less than 26. Why?

WrmBrnr repped this.
  17. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Richards, CCV, Tillman and Haji Wright look like the most glaring absences to me on first glance. Wright just back from injury and Richards has been in and out for a while now so those could be injury related. CCV missing is a surprise. No Vasquez a bit of a surprise as well. Will be interested how this group lines up under Hudson.

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think you missed Miles Robinson. I would love this to be payback for Atlanta not releasing when they didn't have to like the US can't do favors and not call when you've done them solids in the past.

19. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    What seems like the XI for that kind of roster?

Pepi

Pulisic Weah

McKennie
    Musah
    Cardoso

Dest
    Ream
    McKenzie/Robinson
    Jedi

Turner

Something like that?

tomásbernal and nobody repped this.
  20. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    That looks pretty likely to me but you never know. New coach and all. Wouldn't be shocked to see a 4231 with Adams missing.

I'm curious if we will just play same ol way or will we switch it up. And if we do switch things up, will it be with an eye toward the future or just get more attackers out there to overwhelm lesser opposition.

21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Cardoso gets a start it better be against Granada. He is way too slow to play a single 6. Hoping to see a double pivot 4-2-3-1.

tomásbernal and gogorath repped this.
  22. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I wouldn't be shocked to see a 4231. I feel like a broken record out here, but it was actually a stated plan to try it with Reyna before he got re-injured the first time.

But I don't think we'll a major tactical change. Minor ones, for sure, but Hudson isn't going to try and reinvent the wheel, I don't think.

Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  23. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have proven over and over again that we are terribly poor at scoring in our 4-3-3 formation. In particular, it doesn't seem to matter which striker we put in there they are left on an island and hardly ever get touches. We need to adjust to a 4-2-3-1 and have someone like Gio playing ACM so it isn't so easy for opposing CBs to take our striker out of the equation.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  24. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think that's likely very true. Interim coach just keeping the space warm isn't really the best guy to make wholesale changes. But yeah, the 4231 wouldn't be much of a big change really. More something the team looked like building toward for some time. I'd prefer Gio as the 10 in that setup, but I would not be shocked to see Aaronson played there either. And Aaronson is the guy listed as a midfielder.

gogorath repped this.
  25. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tillman missed the last game with Rangers so makes sense why he’s out. Sargent however is back to playing for Norwich. Though they may have decided just to give him more time to build himself back up.

This is what Hudson had to say about injuries

As for the roster size I think the coaching staff is loath to calling up players and flying them over from Europe if it’s likely they won’t even dress.

abw, Boysinblue, gogorath and 4 others repped this.