March of the Hooligans - Oct 16

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Dougie Brimson, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dougie Brimson

Dougie Brimson New Member

Jul 8, 2004
    For those who keep asking, my new non-fiction book, March of the Hooligans, will be published in the US on October 16th.

Written especially for American soccer fans, March of the Hooligans examines the potential problems the hooligan and casual culture pose to Major League Soccer. It also talks about Green Street Hooligans and numerous other issues relating to both my own time as a 'hooligan' and the great game.

This is my first book with a solus US release and obviously, I am very excited. I'll actually be heading Stateside to do a short media blitz in October.

Further details of the book itself can be obtained via: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780753512937&itm=1

There are also groups set up to promote March of the Hooligans on both Facebook and Myspace ahead of publication and these will be used to keep everyone updated as much as possible with news of press coverage and events. They can be found at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4783851165

and http://www.myspace.com/brimson_books

2. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    what games have you been to in the US, Mr. Brimson?

3. User Name

User Name New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    England
    If it does pose any threat just get the police to crack there heads so the barbarians can piss off away from the game and fight amongst themselves in their pathetic machismo battles. Worked for us.

4. Dougie Brimson

Jul 8, 2004
    I've been to enough games to have written this book thanks.

5. Dougie Brimson

Jul 8, 2004

No it didn't. Otherwise you wouldn't still be segregated from rival fans, still have a huge police presence at games, still have blanket cctv coverage inside OT, etc, etc, etc.

6. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    green street hooligans is so fake it has almost nothing to do with hooliganism
    I hope USA gets good hooligans too.

7. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's in it for us?

8. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    which teams? thanks.

9. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    for ********s sake what's next, March of the Hooligan Penguins: Antartica story? Since that's only continent with weaker scene than north america...

money hungry bastard

10. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    I think there's a whole bunch of books I could write.

a cookbook ("put hot dogs in boiling water") a gardening book ("the implement pictured is called a shovel") maybe a couple of pharmacology books. thanks.

11. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Who has been asking about this book here in the US?

Can you make any money by being a Hooligan outside of writting book about it.

Because if not what's the point?

So you were a holligan can you get women because they want to be around a hooligan.

Did you deal drugs as a holligan for money, kill anybody as a holligan for money. How about takeover businesses in your area and becomming their partners whether they want a partner or not. Did they pay you protection money so they would not have any accidents?

That is what some gangs do. It sounds like Holligans is a gang to us Americans.

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many MLS games?

There really is no hooligan culture in the USA. If you postulate otherwise in your book, you're making stuff up.

13. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knowing this, this author would be representing that good ole London sensationalism quite well.

14. Dougie Brimson

Jul 8, 2004

Who said there was a hooligan culture in the US? Not me. That's the whole point. And if you read the book, you will understand.

15. Dougie Brimson

Jul 8, 2004

It's soccer hooliganism, not the mafia! Lol!

Hooliganism is a gang culture in many respects but it's a very different animal from the one you are used to. That's what makes it so interesting.

Again, all I can tell you is to read the book. That will explain the motivations.

16. Dougie Brimson

Jul 8, 2004

Then write them. Simple as that. ;)

17. Dougie Brimson

Jul 8, 2004

Without giving too much away and at the risk of repeating myself, that is the point! The danger is that for a number of very specific reason, there is a serious likelihood that things will change unless you are very careful. That's what I examine in the book and as I say at the opening of this thread, it's about the POTENTIAL!

As for the MHB comment, Lol!

BTW, you might be interested to know that when I was last in Zagreb I was made an honourary life member of the BBB'S!

18. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    I will say this again. Can you make money from being a hooligan outside of writitng a book.

19. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If you're question is to whether a hoolgian can make money besides writing a book, than the answer is a big yes. Hooligans (Barra's, Ultra's, etc ....) operate different in each country. I can tell you that the barra of River Plate of Argentina is in a ferocious internal war to see who end up controlling about $200k per month. How? They are given a set amount of tickets which they sell at profit. They control the parking concessions at the outside of the stadium and take in that money. Vendors and merchants usually have to pay them a commission or protection fee if they want to operate. It is even a hard rumor that that the barra itself was to get a percentage of the transfer fee of River Plate's goalie Carrizo to Lazio.

Mr. Brimson is right in that the "hooligan" (there are different terms depending on which country you come from which can lead to subtle differences in how people understand the term) is a gang and even a mafia.

Unfortunately, in many parts of the world, regular fans knowingly or unknowingly are affected by it ...

20. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I know, I remember seeing pictures on our message board. Doesn't change fact that there are scores of different scenes with actual things to write up (unless that dope Danny Dyer got exclusive rights :D) rather than USA. Then again book about fictional hool scene in US is one that would potentially make most money, hence my comment.

you gonna take over sci-fi demographic by storm ;)

21. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    well now we need to read the book to find out.

could you email it to me?

22. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No.

Not in England anyway. It's just people fighting. Hooligans don't have control over anything.

(Here) it's nothing like gang culture.

And you'd never be able to make money out of books if you stuck to the truth either.

The problem is that the perception, not helped by hooligan books etc, is a million miles from reality. If you read the books you'll believe hooligans are bordering on noble, fighting a good fight in honour of their club and town, with a kind of queensbury rules meaning they only fight their own kind. You'd also believe trouble is common.

The truth is rather more mundane and tends to just involve groups of dickheads who can't take defeat (or sometimes just someone supporting another club) kicking the crap out of someone who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

23. Dougie Brimson

Jul 8, 2004

What a very good answer. Hooligan cultures vary from country to country even within Europe. The scene in Russia for example, is very different from that in Italy.

Hooliganism is a very complex issue with all kinds of factors involved. It's certainly not as simple as a few lads running aound punching each other which is what many people believe.

If it were, it would have been resolved years ago!

24. Dougie Brimson

Jul 8, 2004

Lol! No!

25. Dougie Brimson

Jul 8, 2004

And in contrast, there speaks the voice of ignorance.