March 2023: Nations League. The Rebuild

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Dec 3, 2022.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still a few weeks to go but it feels like on form the three forwards who most deserve a call up at current are Pepi, Ferreira, and Dike. Sargent is also hurt at the moment as I'd take him before Ferreira. I think Dike is in competition with Pefok, Vazquez, and Wright (who is also just coming back from injury).

2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only thing I'd note on this is the rosters are a bit big. U20 World Cup is 21 players, and Gold Cup and Nations League are just 23. Nations League doesn't require to lock in the 23 though and you can bring more and dress a different 23 per game.

Eleven Bravo and Boysinblue repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Johnny is out with what looks like a pretty bad foot injury.
    Probably out of the March Nations League window, and we'll see about the subsequent matches thru the summer. It would be a shame because we're still badly in need of #6/8 midfield depth, and he would likely have gotten a chance.

4. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are the field conditions in Grenada? Is it going to be another mudpatch or something normal?

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think of the three tournaments this summer the Gold Cup team could have a very fun/interesting roster. And that if they are able to get players released, the U20s could have a nice run as well.

I sort of think the three rosters breaking down like this

U20s (assuming no releases for Brady, Parades, or Puktsas and that Pepi goes to the Nations League )

GK: Slonina, Carrera, Borto
    RB: Halliday, Che
    LB: Gomez, Wiley
    CB: Craig, Neal, Wynder
    DM: Edelman, Vargas
    CM: McGlynn, Aaronson, Buck, Cremaschi
    WF: Cowell, Koleosho, Sullivan, Gutierrez
    FW: Yapi

Nations League
    GK: Steffen, Horvath, Turner
    RB: Dest, Scally
    LB: Jedi, Tolkin
    CB: Richards, Robinson, Ream, Zimmerman
    DM: Adams, Acosta
    CM: McKennie, Musah, LDLT, Booth
    WF: Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Aaronson
    FW: Sargent, Pepi

GK: Steffen, Callender, Celentano
    RB: Reynolds, Jones
    LB: Tolkin, Vines
    CB: CCV, McKenzie, EPB, Trusty
    DM: Acosta, Morris
    CM: Pomykal, Booth, Tillman, Williamson
    WF: Parades, Zendejas, Arriola, Mihailovic
    FW: Vazquez, Dike

RossD and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leaving off the players who are injured or recently returning from injuries plus leaving off all potential undecided dual nationals and players in relegation battles….

GOALKEEPERS: Matt Turner, Zack Steffen, Ethan Horvath

FULLBACKS: John Tolkin, DeJuan Jones, Bryan Reynolds, Joe Scally, Sergino Dest, (omitting Jedi Robinson because he’s not had a rest in too long) (Fossey and Cannon considered but wanted Tolkin and Jones to get their shot)

CENTER BACKS: Chris Richards (Tim Ream or Walker Zimmerman if he’s not 110% ~ or call in Sam Rogers), Cameron Carter-Vickers, Auston Trusty, Mark McKenzie (Miles Robinson just returning from injury) (EPB was a close cut. I didn’t consider Long or Brooks)

MIDFIELDERS: Yunus Musah, Luca de la Torre, Kelyn Acosta, James Sands (or Aiden Morris, Tanner Tessman, or Gianluca Busio), Alex Mendez (or Alan Sonora or Richie Ledezma), Paxton Pomykal (or Eryk Williamson or Cristian Roldan) (resting McKennie, Adams, and Aaronson. Tillman, Johnny, and Booth injured)

WINGERS: Giovanni Reyna, Tim Weah, Djordje Mihailovic, Jordan Morris (or Paul Arriola) (Paredes, Clark, P. Aaronson, and Cowell with u20s)

FORWARDS: Ricardo Pepi, Brandon Vazquez, Daryl Dike (Hoppe, Ferreira, and Pefok as alternates) (Sargent and Wright injured)

At Grenada
    ——————Pepi———————-
    Reyna——————————-Weah
    ———Musah———-Luca————-
    ——————Acosta———————
    Dest———————————-Scally
    ————Trusty——McKenzie———
    ————-——Horvath——————

Subs: Reynolds (Scally), Jones (Dest), Dike (Pepi), Sands (Acosta), Mihailovic (Reyna)

Vs El Salvador
    ——————Vazquez——————
    Reyna———————————Weah
    ————Musah———-Luca————
    ———————Acosta——————-
    Scally————————————Dest
    ————Richards———CCV————
    ———————-Turner———————

Subs: Tolkin (Scally), Reynolds (Dest), Dike (Vazquez), Mihailovic (Weah), Mendez/Pomykal (Musah/Luca)

7. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    Do ya'll see any surprise for this roster?

8. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Balogun would be the only real "surprise" and that would be a very pleasant surprise. I don't think he will be on the roster though.

9. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    Do you not consider Gio been on the roster a surprise? What's the likelihood that Balogun plays for us?

10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    1. Gio - No. He is one of most talented players and while the situation was toxic, I think everyone should be big enough to move past it and do what's best for the program, which is to have Gio in the fold. Plus GGG is out so that presumably helps.

2. I would be pretty surprised. It seems as if he prefers to represent England. He has most recently been in the fold with the England U-21s.

This is what Balogun said in the fall:

Just like my future at club level, I am not closing any doors regarding international selection. All options remain open,” said the 21-year-old, whose most recent international appearance involved showing great composure to score for England’s U-21s in a 3-1 win over Germany.

Above everything, I feel English, but I also have an American side, because I have family in New York and I love going there,” added Balogun, who was born in New York City. “I have my grandmother and cousins in Lagos, even if I haven’t been there since I was very young. My mother sometimes speaks to me in Yoruba and it is important to me.

psnotyours repped this.
  11. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    They always 'I am not clsing my doors but I perfer this country'.

Gio just needs to play.

12. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's definitely debatable at this point.

onefineesq repped this.
  13. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m a Crew fan in Charlotte this weekend for a conference and I’m trying to find a soccer bar to catch the game. Any North Carolinians who can pass along some advice would be appreciated.