Marc Connolly "It's not too late to take the Quakes"

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by doppelganger, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that the kiss of death, or what?

:rolleyes:

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good to me! :)

I'm looking forward to an awesome series.

3. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm going with "brilliant prediction" :cool:

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Connolly BELIEVES!!!!

5. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No no no no no!

Dear weauxf gods,

We humbly apologize for this pile of steaming doodoo drivel expelled by one Mr. Connolly, aka "The Retard". Please acknowledge that we don't have a chance in hell in the playoffs. None. That much is obvious to anyone with two firing neurons. That any half-sane person would think otherwise is entirely inconceivable.

I humbly kneel before your omniscient presence and beg for your forgiveness.

Signed,
    Penitent Quakes Fan

6. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass
    Sounds good to me...and thats all I want for Christmas.

7. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Well...sure....why not?! The reasoning is sound and I can't argue with the idea that KC could really be in trouble if we lay a good +2 or +3 goal differential on them after the first game. Those of you who would point to LA having +4 over us last year, please remember that the reason we came back is because the Quakes are a team that can score goals. KC is not...never have been. They have always been about defense. If we tied on Saturday in SJ and had to go back to their place, I'd be worried. BUT...if we can take them by a 3-1 or 3-0 score, I just can't see KC climbing that mountain to the top.

I totally agree with Connelly on that...KC wouldn't have much of an advantage for finishing #1. As for SJ's underdog role, remember what a juggernaut Miami was in 2001? Same situation, only this time our guys have more experience/confidence in postseason.

I like our chances a lot if we can just start scoring. :D

8. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I'd rather have Connelly predicting a huge KC win.

Instead, he's given Fat Tony, Big@ss Bo and Jimmy Squarepants some great locker room bulletin board material. Now KC gets to approach the game, psychologically, as the underdog going against the 'insider' pick to win.

No big deal, I just prefer being the underdog. Especially when we've played like crapola for the past 6 weeks or so.

9. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reverse psychology...

If Connolly's prediction holds up and the Quakes win, he ought to buy a keg for the fans who believed next season...

The Wizards have already been motivated enough by last year's exit in the West finals--this is even more fuel to add to their quest to get to LA.

It's also momentum--KC ended the season with a win, while the Quakes were able to hold off on a tie... both games at Spartan were draws and chances are it's going to happen again with a major tossup next weekend...

As a Quakes fan, hey I'll take it! However, the smart money is that will be KC and LA battling for a spot to represent the West.

10. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the playoffs have been Donovan's own personal playpen... haha, wow I really like that.

11. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    You know guys, I was just talking to the husband about this last night.

I was even going to post a new discussion which I was going to title: MLS Cup Dark Horse(s): SJ & NE!

Wouldn't it be really GREAT if this happens???!!!! It's parity at its best!

12. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    But then again, we do have at least three matches to go through before even getting to the Cup Finals.....

BELIEVE!

13. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Is he calling the Quakes prostitutes? What a dirtbag.

14. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Look at it this way. His prediction has given KC so much locker room bulletin board material, so much psychological advantage, that they actually become the favorites again, returning the Quakes back to their original underdog status.

By the way, remember how last year everyone complained so much about the playoff format, and how there was no real advantage given to the top seed in the 1st round? This year it's suddenly become a brilliant system, at least in my mind. :) You can even argue that the team with the 1st home leg has the advantage because if they get a lead at home they can play bunker ball to "spoil the game" on the road. Of course being able to play a possible tie-breaking 30-minute period and penalty kicks, if needed, at home is an advantage for the top seed.

15. S.J. Owl

S.J. Owl New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    San Jose
    Quote "By the way, remember how last year everyone complained so much about the playoff format, and how there was no real advantage given to the top seed in the 1st round? This year it's suddenly become a brilliant system, at least in my mind. "

No it hasn't.

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know that it hasn't suddenly become a brilliant system in his mind?

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

17. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am preparing for the flood of goals that are going to come!! I was there last year--Its going to happen again cant you feel it !?!? GO QUAKES GO !

18. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC is walking into a hornets nest and they're desperately hoping it isn't... landon will be running so fast the cameras won't be able to keep him in frame-- Get off your asses and let the whizz have it in person!

Go Quakes!!!

19. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Hey, they don't call him (her?) S.J. Owl for nothing. Able to see into the minds of fellow posters! :)

20. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite a few of their fans on the KC forum are saying that SJ is the one team they don't feel confident about...

21. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

smart people, those Wiz fans. of course, I can't say I'm all that confident either. should be a good, evenly matched series. hopefully the quakes can grind it out.

22. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lets just hope our boy Landon reeks havoc on them, another hattrick would be nice wouldn't it? and just for a analitical point, for the love of God, Dom put him in midfield!

23. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time to kick some tail... this comes from a post in the KC thread

"I would like to see that 2-0 score line for KC out there. That would be payback from last year.

I would also like to see the refs crack down on all the California whining and diving the Quakes like to do. It would be nice to see Donovan play with the same attitude as he does with the Nats. There's no diving and no mouthing off to the refs. But I don't think he will score a brace like he did against Panama. Garcia and Conrad will tie him up."

BRING IT ON!

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not suprised that neither team's fans are supremely confident. The season series between the two teams has been fairly even, with neither side really dominating the other (the Quakes' 2-0 win in KC on 8/14 was the largest scoring margin between them this season) - in other words, neither team really "has the other team's number", so to speak.

It should be a close series.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G