Mapfre Stadium, formerly known as CCS...

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kayak, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Why does it matter what other Major Leagues do?

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta have a benchmark somwhere. Seriously, the other major leagues are successful and have been so for a long time, stikes notwithstanding (and those are mostly just how to divvy up the jackpot). Makes sense to at least look at how they do it. It's one reason the CBA changed, actually--players were influenced by the NFL players union, though I don't think that was a good idea in many cases. The NFL is mature. MLS? Not quite (but getting there--the league does turn 20 this year).

3. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fair argument, but then youth pricing just comes down to profit maximization (which is why other leagues do it too).

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    For what it's worth, the visiting team doesn't get a share of the ticket revenue in MLS. Rather 35% goes to the league office to support their costs (mostly non-DP salaries) while the team keeps 65%. So the Crew don't directly get more money from a trip to Seattle than a trip to Chivas.

Yes, the CBA was the cause of reduced fan-player interaction. But the owners are offering a 25% increase in the cap and substantially increased min salaries. So asking the players for double the appearances doesn't seem like much. Ten years ago players had second jobs and the min salary was 13K.

Certainly offering youth rates is about profit maximization. The team doesn't give away as many seats nowadays as back then but they do offer cheap group rates. Maybe they cover for the lack of youth prices by group rates for youth teams and leagues? But they would be missing out on individual family sales.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Was it after he left the team that someone saw Miles Joseph working at a home improvement store?

6. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Then look abroad at other soccer leagues. There is your bench mark. No it is not euro snobbery. Many clubs manage to offer youth prices and are able to effectively match an age with a ticket without too much problem

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not our market, so it's not as good a benchmark for a US league. But I'm not defending the decision either. Just noting that I can see reasons for it. If you want to argue it, talk to the league. Mind you, I like the way some European leagues are run and some of the ideas they have.

8. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    not sure what this means.

9. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue with scalpers and the comparison to the Clippers was the first thing that entered my mind when I saw the reference to adults trying to get in on youth tickets.

I'm wondering how often people get tuned away at the gate at Huntington Park using youth tickets and if it's making the Clippers rethink that idea as well.

10. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but in Europe fan violence has led to tight controls on tickets and the original buyer is usually only able to use the ticket or eat it (maybe resell through a team-approved reseller, but I don't how many countries that is even legal in).

11. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Actually 2008 it was 12.9K.

2009 salaries were negotiated to 20.1K
    2010 salaries were at 31.25K (VERY few. Most base line salaries were 40K)
    2011 salaries finally got to 32.6 for league.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html

12. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    So European leagues have tight controls due to fan violence. I don't see how that disproves my assertion that it should be easy for point of entry to check ID of those entering with a youth ticket.

13. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Ha just thought. What kind of ID would a youth be carrying to prove they are youth?!

14. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    England has a "stubhub" style for EPL.
    safefootballtickets.com

but they have a specific warning even... http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/safe-ticket-buying.html

15. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    their grade card full of plus and minus'

16. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The controls often include having info on the person using the ticket encoded in the ticket (which could easily include age on a youth ticket).

17. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is "team approved" resale (like the TM exchange - or Flash Seats for those familiar with the arena up here in Cleveland) legal in the UK or is all resale banned even if through a team authorized outlet?

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a *lot* more security at European games and thus a lot more folks to do the job. But again, I am not defending this one way or the other--just noting that I can see why they (MLS) do not want to be bothered.
    That's not odd, there. Most students (that's kids as well as college) in Europe have a student pass with photo to use transit. I expect some Columbus students have the same.

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also wonder that. Say dad was gonna take his kid...kid gets sick or has a lot of homework. Dad ends up taking a buddy. What happens there? Could the buddy pay the nominal upgrade fee or are they both SOL? Why would the team even care once they both buy a couple beers (and probably make more back than they would off a small ticket price difference?)

20. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    As a season ticket holder with a 2 year old, I wondered about next year when I'll be compelled to buy a 3rd seat.

21. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think certain teams have struck a deal with ticket resellers. not all.
    EPL as a whole has a black list of "do not buy from". Instead they direct a customer to the specific team.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  22. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just called the Clippers box office and you could pay the $3 difference and upgrade the ticket to adult.

23. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info!

24. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Mike Duhaney. He later went to Germany and played there.

25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mainz 05 in the 2nd Bundesliga at the time, in 2002. He got 14 games--it was his last team.

Recent MLS article here.