ManUtd Players in Feb. 18th Int'l Friendlies [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by 50 Euro, Feb 17, 2004.

1. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    A place to discuss those that have been called into international duty this week. http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=53544
    In addition to those mentioned Saha should make his debut for France. I'm hoping to watch Netherlands-USA and a tape-delayed Ireland-Brazil.

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping the Lucky Bar replays the England-Portugal, Netherlands-USA, and Ireland-Brazil games as I can't make it there until at least 6:00pm or so...

3. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am most intriguied by the fact that Beckham and Ronaldo will be going up against each other tomorrow....surprised this match-up between the former RW at OT and his heir apparent isn't getting a little more press.

And of course US-Holland is a fascinating match and an important "where are we now" match for the USMNT.

4. ManUtd R16

ManUtd R16 New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm looking forward to Ruud vs. Tim! Do you think Howard and Kasey Keller will each get 45 minutes?

5. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I'd think Timmy will play the 1st half, and it sounds like the Dutch are taking this relatively seriously, based on some of Advocaat's comments. Will definitely be great to see Ruud vs. Tim :)

6. ManUtd R16

ManUtd R16 New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    Oh no, Howard isn't in the starting line-up!

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This way Ruud can score a hat trick in the first half, Tim comes on for the second half, and Ruud goes out and the game ends 3-0. :D

8. ManUtd R16

ManUtd R16 New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    Hey, better yet, how about the game ends 3-4? Don't you want our national team to win?!

9. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    O'Shea and Kleberson are playing in Dublin. Kavanagh did a job on Gilberto Silva and Silva was substitued after 13 mins. Dida had to make a good save from O'Shea....

10. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About 3-4, I didn't want to confuse anybody.

About the US Team winning? Sure, but it's only a friendly.

11. ManUtd R16

ManUtd R16 New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    Great, Ruud has been described as "spiking the ball into the net like a volleyball"! Carded for that . . .

12. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Arse fans will surely dub it, "The Hand of Satan"

13. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saha was fouled in the box and would have been given a PK, but the ref played advantage which allowed Govou to score for France in their friendly against Belgium.

1-0 at the half

14. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2022: GOAL Wales 2-0 Scotland
    Robbie Earnshaw rises to meet Ryan Giggs' cross from the left and his header deflects off a Scotland defender and into the net.

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOAL Northern Ireland 0-1 Norway
    A mistake by Maik Taylor in the Northern Ireland goal allows Morten Pedersen to mop up the spilled ball and rifle it into the roof of the net.

Wasn't aware that Maik Taylor was from Northern Ireland. He's played very well this year, I guess with Roy Carroll warming the bench and only getting the reserve matches, it's Taylor's job to lose now - which he might do with another mistake or two.

16. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOAL Northern Ireland 0-3 Norway
    Steffen Iversen extends Norway's lead with a well-taken shot that sees the ball go through Maik Taylor's legs.

:)

17. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kleberson came off at half-time for Brazil. He blasted a shot just over the bar from outside the penalty area during the first half and meshed well with the other talent out there. He did OK from what I can glean so far....

18. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giggs was subbed out at half-time for Wales and did well, contributing the assist for Wales second goal.

Fletcher has played the whole match up to this point for Scotland, I don't know how well he's played, but they are losing 3-0 to Giggsy's Welsh side.

19. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belgium 0
    France 2 Govou 44'. Saha 74"

"Zidane fools the whole defense with a blind pass to Saha who doesn't miss the opportunity in front of the goal."

20. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scholes, Butt and P. Nev are in the starting lineup according to soccernet's matchtracker while C. Ronaldo is on the bench for Portugal.

21. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BUY ROBBEN

If there was any doubt before, let there be none now. This kid was absolutely electric for the Dutch today, scoring an excellent goal against the otherwise solid US defense. I'm seriously drooling at the thought of young Arjen on the left wing, with Ronaldo on the right. He is worth at least as much as we paid for Ronaldo, if not more.

22. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Re: BUY ROBBEN

Robben was my MOTM without a doubt...

23. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Re: BUY ROBBEN

I was almost praying to a higher power while watching that game that we sign Robben during the summer. At times, the style of his play is so reminiscent of Giggs, it's scary.