ManU - Saints [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by prk166, Dec 1, 2004.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Wow. No thread for this one yet? Has my long day in front of the computer blinded me? Well, if I didn't miss an existing thread here's the thread for the upcoming match.

ManU's at home and on a roll. Saints are cr*****p beyond crap. They're a mid table quality club being handicapped but Lowe's scrouge... oh, that's for another time. Anyway, Saints are not playing well right now and one would have to pick ManU to win this one. Although without a lack of offside flag on a VanPeresie late, late, late, late, late, late in injury time Saints would've beat Arse at Highbury.

2. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    All time head to head play for ManU - Southampton
    W-D-L
    44-21-23

3. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Saints haven't won one at Old Trafford since the old Division One when they won 2-0 on 1/16/88.

Time before that, 8/16/69.
    yep.
    ManU lost back then by a score of 4-1.

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Should be interesting... I see no need from a change of playing just one winger. Giggs should get the game here - he is in good form and Ronaldo could use the rest.

Any word on Gary's fitness?

My guess at a starting XI

--------------Ruud
    ----------------------------Rooney
    Giggs
    -------Scholes-----------Fletch
    -------------Keane
    Heinze---Silvestre---Rio---GNeville
    ---------------Carroll

I know its not symmetrical, but we've not been playing that way much. Giggs will give width on the left and Rooney will give us early width on the right but as play develops Fletcher will fill that space - although with Gary Neville returning (hopefully) he can stay inside and allow Gary to use the space on the wing.

Nethoughts?

EDIT: Oh... I don't think this will be an easy match for us but I think if we can score 2 goals we can win, because I don't see us conceding 2 goals to very many sides... and Southhampton isn't a team that I would pick to get 2 past us.

No scoreline predictions but I hope Ruud can score in this match, he still has not really got it going in the prem yet.

5. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Looks good to me, :cool:

6. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    MtKill's formation seems a good one. CRon could use a break, a little time here and there could help him recover his best form. Plus Fletcher deserves more time. Rooney has pretty much established himself as a starter, its his place to lose now. Ruud had his first league goal from open play last week, plus Scholes and Giggs have done so much. Overall i belive we are in great form and will win on Saturday. Thats not to belittle the Saints, no team can be taken too lightly.

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I forgot to add, the important thing with that formation is for Scholes or Fletcher to fill the hole that Rooney leaves when he drifts wide (preferably Scholes with Fletcher holding back to help Roy stop the counter since Heinze and Gary will most likely continue to play aggressively) or drift wide when he makes his runs through the middle - that's when we were very effective - when we get alot of player movement.

8. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I'm thinking CRon could use 2 weeks in Thailand.

9. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I agree with johno on the line up but if Gary isn't ready to go the Brow slots in for him again, which really hasn't been too bad the last couple of games.

I also wanted to mention that the inclusion of Fletcher seemed to be the extra factor that we needed. How crazy is that? I mean the kid plays decent but doesn't really light the place up or anything.

I think it mainy comes as a factor of him allowing other players to open up. Like johno pointed out it is important for Fletcher to help out Keane. This allows Heinze and Gary/Wes to get forward. They both have been effective putting in crosses from the wings.

10. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think normally this would be a week for Fergie to take a chance and rest some first teamers in preparation for the Christmas crunch. However; we are in a good run of results right now and he may be tempted to keep with what's been working lately to keep the pressure on...

However; maybe that's what he wants us to think.... :confused:

Hehe....

BTW, how come we didn't start a "Vieira is a diving cheating scumbag" thread around here while I was away?

Oh yeah, we leave the whinging to that other team. :cool:

11. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm sure you guys all know me well enough to be aware that I don't always just want to start the American.

But... this would be a really good game to play Spector. He was good when he had the chance to play, and Southhampton's attack is anemic. Let the kid have a game on the right. Neville might not be fully healthy, and Wes Brown lacks the requisite skill to be a good right back.

Other than that, the ideas here seem reasonable.

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Because Coach didn't lose any bets. ;)

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So does Spector... playing well for a couple matches does not make you a natural - Wes Brown has experience, potential and the physique to play RB, I don't think Spector is there physically yet though - I know RB is not considered a spot where you have to be a bruiser but I still think that Spector lacks some maturity there. More than anything else, Spector will get his chances in the future, but we probably have decisions to make regarding Wes in the near future and he has paid his dues so I would start him ahead of Spector. I would not mind him getting a run out though, either at RB as a sub or possible subbing in for Heinze (or starting for him, we all know how important he has become but he works so hard, he might be better off later on with a rest here).

14. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Man, I know it was slow at the beginning of this thread and the stats are in our favor, but I can't help but fear you're tempting fate with those first 3 posts, prk166...

15. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland
    On PPV

Sat., 10 a.m. (EST)

Not buying this one either.
    I'm hooked on watching "Match of the Day" for all of the post game analysis and highlights.

16. delmundo

delmundo Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    With Arsenal at home to Birmingham and Chelski hosting Newcastle while Everton welcomes Bolton I think we need the maximum three points here for sure. It doesnt look like there will be too much help from the others.

First team.
    Full speed ahead!
    Maximum Points.

17. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Though he is a great player, maybe sitting would benefit CRon not only by rest, but by letting him continue to adjust to the English game. I know hes been starting a while, but a good chance to rest and follow from the sidelines may improve him overall as a player.

But Thailand? I'd go straight to Brazil :cool:

18. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Johno:

The difference, of course, being that Wes Brown has poor skill even for a centerback at a high level...whereas Spector's skill set for a center back is very high.

Agreed about the difference in experience. But I think you've got to blood them before they're ready, or they'll never get ready.

19. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Good man - save that money for the honies :)

Wait to blow your cash for the matches we won't get to see in May when it hopefully comes down to a few matches for the title...

20. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    ya, I was thinking of how Keane in his early years would run back to Ireland during the week. And IIRC SAF gave Peter Schmeichel a couple weeks off after WC 98. CRon's form may be just as much mental as physical.

:)

21. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what the odds are that Howard gets the start this weekend?

Fergie sending a message to Carroll perhaps over his contract status?

:cool:

22. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    It's possible. One never knows. Then again, to bench Carroll at this point could also tell Carroll that he's not going to be the day in , day out starter which seems to be an issue for Carroll.
    Or at least he claims it is.

23. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
  24. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland

I'm probably going to pony up for the "half season" package to see those.
    A Man U Spring is always expensive with league, FA Cup and Champions League matches to watch. Luckily the "honies" understand.

:D

25. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Dunno about who starts in goal but Tim-MAY is in the squad at least - squads for match:
    Looks like Bellion's getting a nice reward and maybe a run out for Darren? This looks to be a full-strength United so I expect attacking soccer. I just hope we don't start Rooney, Ruud, and R-Alan at the same time again - we need some firepower off the bench, IMO, although VBellion could be that spark, I suppose.

PS - if United win this match, they will be the first EPL team to 300 EPL victories...