PBP: Manchester Utd v. Arsenal (BPL) Feb 28, 2016

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by b0sk1, Feb 26, 2016.

1. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member+

Jan 28, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] v. [​IMG]

Kick-off Sunday 2.05pm (9.05AM EST)
    Venue Old Trafford
    Last season Man Utd 1 Arsenal 1
    Referee C Pawson

Scene-setter: United will seek a return to winning ways in the Barclays Premier League this weekend after defeat to Sunderland two weeks ago. The Reds are currently sitting in fifth place in the table, six points off the top four, while Arsenal are third and targeting their first league title in 12 years. United have won six and drawn two of the last eight Premier League home meetings with Arsene Wenger's men.

Manchester Utd (5th)
    Doubtful Martial (hamstring), Smalling (match fitness)
    Injured Bortwick-Jackson, Jones (both knock), Valencia (ankle, all 2 Mar), Fellaini (hamstring, Apr), Rooney (knee, Apr), Schweinsteiger (knee, Apr), Shaw (leg, May), Darmian (shoulder), Keane (pelvis), Young (groin, all unknown)
    Suspended None
    Form DWLWDL
    Leading scorers Martial, Rooney 7

Arsenal (3rd)
    Doubtful None
    Injured Wilshere (leg, 19 Mar), Cazorla, (knee, Apr), Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee, Apr), Rosicky (thigh, May)
    Suspended None
    Form DDLDWW
    Leading scorer Giroud 12

Latest team news: David De Gea and Chris Smalling could be back for United after both missed the game against Midtjylland through injury, while Adnan Januzaj is also in line to return. Marcos Rojoreturned to action off the bench against the Danish champions but Anthony Martial is a doubt afterinjuring his hamstring in the warm-up, meaning two-goal Marcus Rashford could retain his place. The game is likely to come too soon for Antonio Valencia, Matteo Darmian, Marouane Fellaini, Phil Jones and Ashley Young, while Wayne Rooney, Will Keane, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Luke Shaw are definitely out. Gabriel Paulista is expected to return for the Gunners but Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is out after picking up a knee injury against Barcelona in midweek, with Tomas Rosicky, Jack Wilshere and Santi Cazorla also unavailable.​

2. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member+

Jan 28, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Live on: NBCSN, NBC Sports Live Extra, MUTV, Sky Sports 1, Sky GO extra, NOW TV UK, ESPN/beIN Sports (some countries)

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Ashur, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Simply put, given the current situation with injuries, we need to see the same team as the one we saw yesterday. Only change would be DDG and Smalling coming back for Romero and Carrick. if he somehow can't go, we have to hope that Van Gaal will go with McNair, even if he hasn't shown form as of late.
    We'd simply be asking for it playing Carrick and Blind together at CB.

5. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member+

Jan 28, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welbeck to come back and haunt us (again).

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Oxlade Chamberlain out of this one, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Wenger decided to go with Welbeck on the right. Walcott is the other option but I really could see it happening.

7. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I highly recommend watching this one with no expectations whatsoever and just enjoying it. A defeat is highly likely and if the boys can at least put on another high octane performance I'm ok with another defeat at the hands of Wenger.

I'm sure they've studied the film on the 3-0 defeat earlier this year. The lesson to learn is to unlearn everything LVG has tried to instill on the boys throughout the season -- I'm sure everyone noticed how we threw out the slow, boring football playbook out the window yesterday -- and go right at Arsenal from the first whistle. They'll beat us either way, but let's at least go out down our shield, not on our knees.

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    We are going to get kerb stomped by a dinosaur.

benni... repped this.
  9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Arse will get the RASH.......!!!!!*

*(results may vary if Marcus Rashford is injured in pre-match warmups)

exref repped this.
  11. rangeen_keeda

rangeen_keeda New Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Arsenal have not won @OT since 2006.

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Wenger has half a brain, he'll play Welbs. Danny will absolutely wreck Blind. Physically it's a ridiculous mismatch.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To say that he's needed is a massive understatement...

[​IMG]

Smalling hopes to return against Arsenal
    Chris Smalling hopes to return in Sunday’s Barclays Premier League blockbuster against Arsenal and maintain the form that has arguably made him Manchester United’s most consistent performer this season.

Smalling missed Thursday’s Europa League match against Midtjylland at Old Trafford with an injury sustained in the Emirates FA Cup tie at Shrewsbury Town, yet the 5-1 victory over the Danish champions was only the second match he has missed this season. The increasingly influential defender now hopes he can maintain that impressive consistency upon his return to the starting XI.

“Touch wood, that carries on,” Chris explains in Sunday’s edition of United Review. “I was disappointed to miss the other night, but I'm hoping to be okay to play this game. I've not really done anything differently to the other lads but, probably from about halfway through last season, I got on a good run in the team and I've just tried to carry that on from there. Long may it continue.”

Sunday’s match is particularly important for United with time running out to secure a place in the Premier League’s top four, which carries Champions League qualification with it. The fixture also has an emotional significance for Smalling after supporting Arsenal as a child.

“I always look forward to these games,” says Smalling in the matchday programme. “It’s no secret that I was an Arsenal supporter growing up, so this fixture is even bigger for me and especially given it involves two of the biggest teams in the country. I hope I can step out onto the field.”

Asked which of the matches against Arsenal stand out from his career, Smalling suggests three key outings. “The one at the Emirates when Wazza scored [in November 2014]; that was a good away win. We’ve had some very good performances at home as well.

"The 8-2 was a great day. When Welbz [Danny Welbeck] scored the winner for them in the FA Cup last season, that was a bit of a killer blow, but overall I feel like we’ve done quite well against them.”

14. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    According to livesoccertv website, this match will be aired on Telemundo for those of us without cable here in the US.

benni... and b0sk1 repped this.
  15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If we are forced to play Carrick and Blind at CB, we'll be lucky to not be on the other side of an 8-2 drumming.

But seriously, that won't happen. There's no way we score 2 goals.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With how depleted we are alone, Arsenal should get the win tomorrow. But on the other hand, it will come as no surprise if they somehow manage to choke and wet the bed as they've done so often at OT in recent years.
    With Leicester winning today and Spurs probably following suit themselves vs Swansea, the pressure will be on Arsenal and if they can deliver, they will have taken another serious step towards winning it all.
    All I want for United is to give it their all and play with pride and desire: if they can do that, yet still lose, then so be it...

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Have you been asleep all season?

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly right: I've been "asleep"...

You'll never see me hoping or rooting for an Arsenal win against us. Never.

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I want them to hit double figures.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are rumors that Timothy Fosu-Mensah will be in the 18. Would be very cool if that were to be the case.

21. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member+

Jan 28, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool for him, not a good sign for United if we keep having to dig into our U18s to fill the squad.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if Smalling has made the squad but if he isn't available, I'd much rather stick Fosu-Mensah at CB over Carrick. He's the real deal and one of the the best prospects we have and at barely 18 has been a regular for the U21s.
    With our situation in the league at the moment, I hope that Van Gaal will not hesitate to turn to some of our youngsters: it's a gamble but we have little to lose at this point and a lot more to gain. As we've seen vs Mi'Land, they could inject a dose of enthusiasm that has been missing in the team.

23. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We have a lot to lose. If we did that and got hammered, at home, the mental scares for such players could go deep. Very deep.

24. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just seeing Arsehole Wanker's smiling mug after a win would be enough to shoot the fcking TV.

25. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Mensah at least will be a physical and quick at the back, and can play the ball out. Tactically I am not sure.