Manchester United Vs. Lyon CL [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Nov 22, 2004.

1. delmundo

delmundo Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We looked much more organized tonight.
    We played with the ball intelligently setting up our attack and should have had a bushel of goals. When they come they are going to come in bunches.

We look to be playing a 5-5. Five defenders and five attackers with Smith and Rooney coming back to help out as much as our backs overlap in attack.
    Its good positive football compared to the completely lost running around we were doing a few weeks ago. Its all coming together.

Im not quite sure what Ronaldo is up to. He still seems to be playing a game all on his own. Soon he will figure out where he fits in and he will become productively lethal.

SAF certainly enjoyed the show. Quite an accomplishment.

2. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    I thought CRon was good, esp that run down the right on a counter where he looked to pick out Ruud, but the Keeper came across. He's an influential player in his own way.

3. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Rooney is a constant threat, im sure he could have scored 5 goald in two games, with a bit of luck.

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Any news on that?

5. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Brown did a much better job at right back than he did in the Charlton match. He's a useful player who could play center back with Rio or cover for Gary at right back I would think. With Spector and some of the other kids looking close, our back line is pretty solid for years to come. With Ruud, Rooney and Smith our frontline looks formidable. Ronaldo on either wing and Fletcher starting to impress in the middle, that leaves Keane, Scholes and Giggs who need adequate cover soon... too early to see if Klebs can do the Scholes job, and whether Miller can contribute there too. Hopes fading for DJ2 at this point though...

6. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    My favorite moment of the match was when Ruud took down Rooney's chipped through ball with his chest and volleyed a lob of the far post.

After the 3rd replay, ESPN2 cuts to a shot of Fergie watching the play and you can clearly lip-read him saying, "F***, that would have been an absolutely great goal!"

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I saw that too... :D

I also liked the replay of him "heading in" Ruud's goal... :D

8. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also impressed by Rooney coming back so far to defend as tenaciously as he did...

Smith was everywhere as well...

Truly insprired signings by SAF. :D

9. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    THIS IS TROLLING.

What is not trolling would be to come in and comment on a couple of events in the ManU-Lyon game where you specifically thought Ronaldo took a dive. And maybe then you could say something to add about how you feel this is what happens game in, game out.

Coming in and making a over generalised blanket statement about "the worst ever" is nothing but trolling. If it's important enough for you to discuss, then put for something worth discussing.

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Amen, brotha!

11. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    This was an important win for United and gives them a good opportunity to finish top of the group when the travel to play a Fener club whose UEFA Cup fate has already been determined.

I was happy to see Ruud, Rooney and Smith all get the start and work well together. Smith works so hard and good things seem to happen when he is on the pitch. He would drift around in the middle or show up at times on the right and was effective at getting dangerous balls to the other strikers. I was also impressed with Rooney's defense, especially at the end of the game.

Ronaldo's versatility to attack either flank gives United options. In the first half, he was primarily on the right, with Heinze pushing forward on the left. When Gary came out at halftime, Ronaldo switched to the left and Wes or Alan would make some runs up the right.

Essien's a pretty good central mid. I was impressed with his tenacity, ball winning and abilty to go forward. Perhaps one to look at to replace Keane at some point?

12. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    1,000 games down, 1,000 more to come Fergie? :D

The United's defense has to get a lot of credit. The Lyon players eventually had to resort to the long range shots, the kind that had beaten Carrol, because they could not get anywhere near the box for better shots. They had their moments, i.e. Frau's charge on goal, but aside from that never really seemed able to break down our defense completely. Mikeal Silvestre was quiet, but effective. G. neville did worry me by not getting back as quickly and his crossing did not look as good. Maybe he had an injury.

Our offense was really getting into a good movement at points. Scholes had his chances early, Rooney hit the post and generally was a Pain in the A** to the Lyon defense for most of the game. Ronaldo, I have said before needs to begin polishing his game, including his finishing, but he just was something to watch. he drew a number of fouls, had at least 2 good shooting chances, and almost set up an earlier goal by Ruud.

Overall we qualified and did it in the best way, kept playing hard and earned the win. Though i hope Keano is not injured.

13. Cou5

Cou5 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    right here...
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. van_da_man

van_da_man Member

Aug 4, 2003
    UK

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sir Alex had Brown warming up because G Nev has a virus infection but tried to play anyways... normally they wouldn't get that far behind Gary.

16. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Did he not make a cheeky toe-flick pass to Alan Smith who drove the ball into the penalty area for Gary Neville to slam home? I don't think it's a matter of players reading Ronaldo, the better question, is can they keep up? He's an earth-scorcher.

17. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Great Game, I was a bit nervous towards the end thinking it would be a replay score of their first encounter. My players of the match were Smith, Ferdinand and Heinze..simply fantastic. I got so annoyed the Rooney kept missing his chances, just like against Charlton. He should really start putting those away and although Smith doesn't score much, he's extremely useful for the team seeing as to how well he holds the ball and his passing game improving every game. Way to go Lads and congrats to SAF.

18. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a two way street. But Ronaldo does need to alter his game slightly depending on whether he's playing with the Portugese team and their system or the United squad and our system... that's not too much to ask. Henry's situation is similar but reversed in this way.

19. CrisRicHeldTiago

Sep 13, 2004
    I agree with your choices, but I think Cristiano Ronaldo is more worthy than Ferdinand. Ronaldo was a threat everytime he touched the ball. The only fault of Ronaldo is his bad stretch of luck at the moment. For a kid with such a fierce and accurate shot he should have a few. His luck will turn around though.

20. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but Ferdinand had a beauty of an assist for the winning goal and anchored the defence the whole match. For all of the threat that Ronaldo has been generating, we've seen little benefits on the score sheet from it. That's been his biggest criticism (besides the going down easily), but I think once he makes a slight adjustment or just gets on the scoresheet, we'll start to see just how dominant of a player he can be, and that's exciting.

21. CrisRicHeldTiago

Sep 13, 2004
    Alter his game? What does he have to alter? The only difference in his game with the Portuguese National team is that Ronaldo is looked upon to score more, and he's the focal point of their offense (as is Deco), so he gets lots of service. When Cristiano Ronaldo plays for ManU, he's expected to pass the potato around more frequently. As is expected when you have players like Ruud, Rooney, Alan Smith, Saha, Giggs, and Scholes. The only difference in Ronaldo's game is goals at the moment, but every part of his game isn't any different, whether he's playin with the Portuguese or for ManU.

22. CrisRicHeldTiago

Sep 13, 2004
    Btw, I've always liked Alan Smith - the only thing this kid knows how to do is work. And Hienze, has to be up there with the best Left Lateral-backs in the world. What a treat to watch. He's got good pace, marks well, makes good rushes, and has a nice punch to his ball.

23. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heinze:

:D

24. MikeyM

MikeyM New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Frisco, TX.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  25. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I thought the same thing watching this game. He played really well and is only 21. He is deffinately one to watch.

Oh, and Carroll's blunder was just head-in-a-paper-bag bad.