Manchester United Vs. Lyon CL [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Cou5

Cou5 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    right here...
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second half under way. Wes Brown on for Gary Neville.

2. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Completely unneccessery by Carroll. It mistifies me why keepers try to scoop up bullet shots, it's so stupid. Their arms form a ramp of sorts and the ball goes right up on it, either throught their legs or off their head. It's stupid...

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    It could be worse. :)

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United looking dangerous though.... Carroll's error probably won't matter in the end.

5. Cou5

Cou5 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    right here...
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glory, Glory, Man Utd.

2-1, RVN is the goalscorer

6. Cou5

Cou5 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    right here...
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    65' - Ronaldo makes a great run up the right flank and puts a ball into the box that is gathered by the GK. Tommy Smythe (in all his wisdom) comments that Ronaldo and Rooney remind him of the pace that Giggs and Beckham had when they were younger.

I don't remember Beckham being noted for his pace, correct me if I'm wrong.

7. BillyManutd

BillyManutd New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC
    I just joined match tracker and I would like to know why Gary was substituted for Brown. Did he get injured or was it to give him a rest so he get ready for our next match?

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

Don't worry. Tommy Smythe doesn't either. ;)

9. BillyManutd

BillyManutd New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC
    FT United 2-Lyon 1. Congratulations to SAF in his 1000 game for United, and most importantly we are through to the next round.

10. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT

2-1

Through to the next round. :D

Keane, G Nev and Ruud all picked up knocks and were subbed off with Keane hobbling the worst... :(

11. MikeyM

MikeyM New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Frisco, TX.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Aside from Carroll's Taibi-esque moment :eek:, a pretty comprehensive win. Wes Brown went into the 18 like a striker. Into the next round. Now let's win the group. :D

12. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on the win, and I really really am not trying to troll but Cristiano Ronaldo is by far the worst diver I have ever seen.

13. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    laaa la laaaaaa lee lee laaa laaa laa laaa le le laaa laaaa laaaaaa le le la laaaa Ooua!!!

14. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    You have not see Deco? :confused:

15. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Men of the Match

I watched the game. Nobody on ManU were off form except for maybe Carrol with his blunder. A total team effort. Nods go out to forwards Alan Smith, Rooney, and Ronaldo, and Hienze in particular. Well played match.
    Alan Smith never quit on a play, Rooney kept his composure, Ronaldo was causing fits, and Hienze was at his best.

16. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    How good is Smith.

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I need to wait until I can give out more rep. You will be receiving some negative reputation from me asap. :mad:

Shocking mistake by Carroll, do you think he'll be dropped? I hope not. Great play all round, particularly Ronaldo who really took the piss. Ruud scores with his first chance and was very unlucky with that outrageous chip. Aside from that, the referee was a right tosser. He books Keane for his first foul, but let's Lyon away with countless fouls on Ronaldo. The only concern is Keane and his injury. Let's hope it isn't too serious. Well down Fergie, another win.

18. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dude, I call out trolls more than anyone else here...but pointing out that Ronaldo is an outrageous diver ain't exactly trolling. He looked to be getting over it last spring, but his return to Portugal over the summer seems to have reincubated the disease...

Good result, though :). Missed it because I had some work to do :mad:.

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    This is the Lyon thread and therefore comments should relate to that game. I watched the game and did not see Ronaldo dive once. If anything, the referee should have given him more protection. Therefore, the comment by goonsquad is false and trolling.

20. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    I dont like diving. I admit Ronlado dives but also countless other also dive. It is all in the game. You just have to live with it.

21. lamu202

lamu202 Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Yorktown, VA
    How come nobody is givin' props to Rio for setting up the 2nd goal? His original move was sweet. Perhaps he should move forward to encourage link-up play with new striker GNev.

22. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Soz like, there is difference between going down easy and diving. He goes down to easy sometimes, not all times. Thing is though do you see him crying like Reyes? He pulled a wonderful dive against us/P Neville, and PN got booked. That is MEAT PIE I SAY!!!!

23. |-Whiplash-|

|-Whiplash-| New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Gatineau, Quebec
    Well done.
    :cool:

24. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    Lyon didn't but I thought it worthwhile "cut n paste"ing :rolleyes:

An excellent outfield performance but let down by poor finishing again - 18 attempts on goal should produce more than two goals. Ronaldo, in particular, has to work on his final ball. But a real pity that Ruud's chest and lob attempt hit the post. That was a superb!

Is Howard about to get a recall? :)

25. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    cheers howard for cut n pasting my post~ :)

Well, you lot dominated that team from beginning to end.. who would of thunk a gary neville goal to start it off... the howler by carroll a la lehmann.. lol
    listen, you lot deserved all 3 points and thoroughly dominated the match..
    the only downside i think to manyoo was ronaldo's play.. it seems like nobody knows what he's going to do, so nobody can make sensible runs...
    anyways.. a fantastic win and on to the next round.. well done...
    wish we would be in the next round.. *sigh* at least we have the league and fa cup to go for!
    cheers