Manchester United - Arsenal [R] [Boot II] - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester United ends Arsenal's unbeaten run in dramatic fashion winning 2-0 at Old Trafford. Discuss.

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It goes to prove that when teams attack Arsenal and get stuck in, their entire game collapses.

3. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Arsenal are a good side. But so is United. You could easily interchange the players on either team. It was only a matter of time for United to begin to haul together. Good thing it was against Arsenal.

Really think that will help turn the United ship around. Gives them a good platform to go on to bigger and better things.

For thos that whinge about the penalty. Since Cole wasnt caught for pulling Ronaldo's legs from under him in the box about 10 minutes later, I'd say they balanced out.

4. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Heinze, been impressed with this guy.

5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The game went as I predicted a few days ago with Philly coming into midfield and United playing a physical game and eeking out a win. Regarding Rooney's dive, of course it was a dive. However it was only evident on viewing the third camera angle that Sky supplied. I don't know where Riley was on the play but Sol did stick out his leg and Rooney did fall and maybe thats all he saw. But you know, as I said on the Arse board, these things even out over the course of a season, I'm sure there will be plenty of time for Pires or Henry to flop against some other team and get a penalty. And then Wenger will say he didnt see it. It evened out yesterday when a penalty was not called when Cole tripped Ronaldo in the penalty area.
    As for the Rio/Ljungberg incident, Freddie push the ball way in front and then they clashed. It was a bang-bang play and I don't think it warrented a free kick to the arse or a card to Rio. I will have to look at that one again. I also think the Ruud should get a ban for a game or two for the incident that was missed. I didnt like the fact that anytime there was a foul, so many players surrounded Riley especially Vieira. Give the referee some respect.

6. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Im still buzzin. lol

7. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX

Doesn't prove anything. Both teams are good. This game was very tight just like the past several games between the two. Most other teams don't have the quality of players to attack Arsenal and get stuck in the way Man Utd does. Arsenal's game did not collapse.

Much of the game was in the midfield. Man Utd had more sustained pressure on the box at times and Arsenal had a few very deadly chances that just didn't pan out.

The game turned on the penalty decision. I don't have a huge problem with the call because it would have been a very difficult call to make in real time. I think Rooney is a bit of a disgrace for diving. I hate all diving, even when our players do it. Once the penalty was scored it forced Arsenal to throw men forward leaving us open in the back. This caused the not called penalty on Ronaldo and the second goal. If we scored first then Utd would have probably thrown palyers forward causing them to be open at the back.

8. manc_sean

manc_sean Red Card

Aug 27, 2004
    Manchester
    Heinze could make himself a legend if he continues like this.

9. manc_sean

manc_sean Red Card

Aug 27, 2004
    Manchester
    Oh, and I forgot to add, did any of you see the anti-Glazer sign with the guy hanging from a rope at the match yesterday? I haven't read any newspapers yet and I've only seen brief highlights of the game on TV.

10. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    What about Viera, tagging the ref on every single decision? This Arsenal side took one hell of a beating. Henry nullified, Reyes crap. There only half decent player was lfdjfhdjfhberg.

11. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    And what did Giggs and Scholes do of note yesterday? It seemed that Utd took some pretty good licks as well.

Like I said, the game was tight and turned on the penalty.

12. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    There was a match yesterday? :confused:

13. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland

Yeah, fair point on Giggs.
    After all he had a good shot at putting the ball in past Lehmann and he didn't.
    Actually, for me that was a ver interesting moment of the game because I was waiting for Giggs to turn on the jets and burn Lehmann for coming out so far.
    Instead he took an easy shot and got stopped which told me that Giggs is almost done. Shame as he is one of my all time favs.

14. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Father Ted:

How on earth do you know that the stamp by Ruud was intentional? I've watched that play many times, and have no idea. In real time, I said "no way." In slow-mo, I've moved to "nobody could possibly know except Ruud." He wasn't looking at Cole. He was trying to control the ball. Cole lunged in (needlessly), and got stepped on. Intentional? I don't see how you could necessarily infer intent from an action that's consistent with innocent activity.

15. American Mike

American Mike New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Was NY, Now London
    This post will not offer any insight, rants, threats, attitude or opinion of the match except for the fact that I wanted to express my relief/respect that you fellas pulled off a win...its nice to see Arsenal with a loss.

Anywho, I'm off to the Fulham board...cheers.

16. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few thoughts on the match:

If Rio doesn't knock Freddy down, the only thing that changes is that Freddy runs up to Carroll while Carroll is holding the ball that Freddy knocked too far forward. Freddy heard the footsteps and tried to get the free kick. It's called gamesmanship and it didn't work.

Rooney dove and maybe it allowed ManU to get more out of the game than they deserved, but the Gunners were ordinary for most of the day yesterday and they can only blame themselves for not doing more. Also, if you don't lose for 49 games you need things to go right for you (like missed penalty kicks) and eventually something goes the other way. I haven't seen most of Arsenal's games but I feel confident that they got results in some games when they really didn't deserve it.

As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), ManU doesn't choose the ref for the games at Old Trafford. If Mike Riley is really a problem then the Prem must make a decision. You can't blame ManU for Riley. In my opinion Riley did ok. He obviously was hoping that the players would police themselves and then found it necessary to issue cards. The Rooney dive probably looked like a penalty and his reaction was instant.

Finally, the biggest issue from the game is this: the Gunners do not look like the Gunners when they play United. The great teams find a way to adapt when they are taken out of their game. The Gunners can't seem to adapt to the physical style that United play against them. I expect that Chelsea will try the same thing.

A good victory that is hopefully just the start.

17. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    :)

18. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Just following Wenger's game plan. :)

19. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
  20. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I am just extremely happy for Ruud that he made the penalty yesterday. Whether it was an actual penalty or not is not the point, but I feel he got a little redemption for last years fiasco at Old Trafford. I couldn't be happier for him!

21. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
  22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    1 chance in the entire game. Your game DID collapse. Bergkamp who? Where was Reyes? What did Thierry "the greatest player in the history of life itself" Henry do? A team finally decides to attack you and disrupt your game. Guess what? It worked. There was only ever going to be one winner and it wasn't you.

23. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Prooves again Peanut head bottles it in big games.

24. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    Do you think you look smart when you ignore most of my post.

It was a tight game. Neither team dominated. Utd got the lucky breaks on the day.

End of story.

25. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I would say that Man Utd dominated the game a lot more than you.