Man Utd Summer Tour 04 USA!!!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by herecomesoshea, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes, they would.
    You have a short memory. Remember these are the two players that Portugal couldnt figure out last year. Donovan was rampant in the WC quarters against Germany. Just couldnt beat Kahn.

Yes, they would do a good job in the EPL.

2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Listen, I am not saying they are not talented, but consistency is needed, everyone always refers to Donovan vs. Germany and he did not win the game for the team, greatness is not in almost doing something, its in doing something.... and doing it consistently.... Of the teams at the top of the table, Donovan could prove useful to Charlton... you cannot judge him on what he does in the MLS against lesser players... he could not start in Germany he could barely get off the bench damnit. Is he just that much better right now??? No, he could perhaps play the withdrawn striker role, he cant strike against the prems defenders, they will kill him. I dont see him as the workhorse who will come back and make tackles in midfield so really the only role he could play is withdrawn striker and there are not that many teams who play with one guy who is neither a striker nor a midfielder, and that guy, is usually pretty damn good.

3. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    Talk about counting your chickens before they hatch. Winning the CL is never a sure thing, particularly with a defense as porous as Real's. In Serie A, Real have scored about the the same number of goals as Valencia, but have given up almost twice as many. Not exactly the type of thing that assures you of winning Europe.

4. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. :D

5. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    Thanks. I need some more sleep.

6. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    SAF is pleased with the great opening of the season and said the US tour helped them prepare well. So if they come back next season it will be for pre-season training, not a promotional tour like Real Madrid. Therefore the chances of them playing MLS is a bit slim. They are trying to practice for the EPL as well as the CL so they need to play teams they will play in the future, the likes of celtics (british flavor), Juventus (italian style), barce (spanish football) are better suited even though I think MLS will give them a good match. Sometimes football comes down to heart, when the Metrostars looks across the pitch and sees the best, they will play their hearts out even if they know their chance of losing is greater than winning. Also from a financial point of view championsworld will like euro teams better. I went to the utd-juv game and there were a lot of juve supporters there buying shirts, drinks, food, etc but if it was man utd v metrostars i dont know if the casual mls fans will make the way down to support them.

7. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's what a lot of people keep saying. But there's a real problem with it.

Some of the very best players of US nationality don't play in MLS, while the the truly elite club teams (Real, Man Utd, Juve, etc) are better than any national team.

While Chicago would have Damani Ralph who isn't American, the US Nats have players like Brad Friedel, John O'Brien (imo, the best current field player on the national team when healthy), and Claudio Reyna. Hell, in the last world cup, those guys plus McBride and Donovan were our best players. And goal keeping was the biggest reason the US went as far as it did.

But none of them play in MLS, save Donovan and McBride.

Just as a quick comparison, look at it this way. None of the MLS teams are half as good as the US National team. But Man Utd is almost certainly better than World Cup winning Brazil (and Brazil's the only national team that you can really make a good case for being better than Man Utd, imo).

Think there's a huge difference between The US Nats and Brazil? Well, there's an even wider gulf on both ends between Chicago and Man Utd.

8. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    I don't know about this one mate. If Brasil could practice the same amount as ManUtd can, I would put $20 on them winning....well, it would be very close at least.

9. ManUtd R16

ManUtd R16 New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    Hmm, I wonder which side would Kleberson play on??

10. Kusha

Kusha New Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I saw in the AC Milan tour, they played Qatar's national team so that got me thinkin, how about USA vs Man Utd? (i guess this is KINDA the same thing as MLS all-stars, but i think its better)