Man Utd Summer Tour 04 USA!!!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by herecomesoshea, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Changed your post...

All you MLS bashers all seem to forget where the current Number 1 goalkeeper for Manchester United came from. And the funny then is that until the time he left this year for United, there were other 'keepers who were playing better this year.

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I fully believe that DMB will leave this offseason. Saying he wants to stay could drive up the transfer price...you don't have the agent he has without a desire to go to Europe soon.

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    One thing America does have is big, fast, agile goalkeepers, an abundance of them. Too many, none inside the top 5 but certainly 2 or 3 in the top fifteen. I am an MLS basher, I can admit to that. Tim is a good keeper but can u see DMB or Donovan forcing their way into a competitive EPL team's starting lineup?

Donovan scrubbed the bench in Germany. However DMB could probably make a career in Spain or English D1 and eventually the Prem. Spain craves speed and he has that.

4. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, earlier this year Brian McBride went to Everton on loan and tore it up. Also, Birmingham's Stern John made his career in MLS before transferring to Nottingham Forest. I think MLS is developing players who are capable of competing overseas, and there seem to be more and more such players here every year.

Of course, Donovan didn't do much at Leverkusen, and now he just doesn't want to go back. Beasley was supposed to be gone before this season even started, but I'm not sure he's received any kind of firm offer. Damani Ralph has a chance to go as well, and hopefully it happens for him. I guess Howard has been the only big-name transfer recently, but things will probably pick up in the near future. The league gets better every year.

That said, I'm not sure I want to see Man United play an MLS side, even a cup champion or all-star team. If I'm paying that kind of money, I want to watch two world-class teams going at it with their first teams. Watching Man United play the Fire is intriguing, but I'd much rather see them play AC Milan or Bayern Munich.

5. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    pops i believe 3/4 of bayern team was more drunk than me when they played that match...after they won champs league title a couple of nights previous

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do people keep bringing up Donovan and Germany. For the record, I like LD's game, but am not his biggest fan by ANY stretch of the imagination. However, talking about LD and Germany is soooooo misleading as to make the arguments about Americans and their shots at European football based on that, inane. Donovan is how old now? yes, he's 21 ......... now ....... on November 10, 2003. He turned 19 basically at the beginning of the 2001 season, which ended with him winning the Cup with SJ. so let's get this straight then. LD leaves the U.S. at 16?, returns at 18, without getting a ton of playing time, and now he isn't good enough to play in Europe????????? as i said, i'm not an LD fan, but that's plain stupid. How many guys would get playing time at 16 or 17 on a top flight team in Europe. Christiano Ronaldo came over on a HUGE transfer fee to ManU, and people are already calling for his head, because all he has is a quick stepover move. If not for the ManU injuries, he would be riding the pine, which is what he was doing at the beginning of the season. Remember Rooney at Everton? Boy wonder, right?? well, where is he? has anyone spotted him? Oh yeah, he's been riding the pine the same way. Enough of this notion that LD can't play in Europe because he didn't get playing time as a 17 year old. It's just a disingenuous and foolish argument.

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    20 years from now... the record will still stand.... Metrostars beat European Cup Champions Bayern Munchen :)

And the Bayern players weren't the only ones trashed that night ;)

8. godisaunitedfan

godisaunitedfan New Member

May 7, 2003
    manchester
    re: usa tour

although i am excited about another usa tour i don't think it will be until 2005 due to the fact half of the united team will be involved with the european championships next summer.

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This trip won't be as long but promoters Champions World will today reveal that United are to definitely play two matches in July and are working on arranging a third as American fans want to see their stars in action again.

Roy Keane and Co have 2004 dates lined up in their diary to play in Chicago and Giants Stadium in New Jersey.

10. herecomesoshea

herecomesoshea New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    NJ / Cork
    The Criminals are coming too

Arsenal to join Man Utd in £5M USA tour
    tribalfootball.com - November 11, 2003

Arsenal are expected to be announced today as part of a four-team tournament in the United States next summer.
    Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is said to be in New York today to announce the close-season tournament - which will carry a cash prize of £5 million for the winner.

United enjoyed a successful tour of the USA last summer and today's announcement is expected to reveal the four teams that will compete.

11. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Criminals are coming too

They are also trying to lure Real Madrid for the tour as well...

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chicago Fire can certainly give Man U. a good test. This team is playing good attacking football and more than one of these players are being tracked seriously by European teams. To say that Manchester United can't be beat by an MLS team is similar to saying you are immortal and you will never die, one day you will. Sure Manchester United will 9/10 times trounce most teams in the world but every dog has its day. Right now the Fire are the best in MLS and are proving to the American version of Manchester United this year. It would be nothing but FUN to see the Fire take on one of the best in the world just for the hell of it. I don't think anyone is denying how awsome and how dominant Manchester United are but to say the Chicago Fire will be laughed off the field is just wrong. Just my two cents...

13. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    So we could see United play Real and Arsenal on this tour and there are people who want United to play the Fire and the Metrostars?

14. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real and Arsenal of course, but if I could see the Fire play them I'm that much of an MLS fan to say HELL YEAH I WANT TO SEE THE FIRE PLAY UNITED!

15. ehtorg

ehtorg New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    CT, USA
    I think the biggest factor that comes into play as to who will be Man Utd's opponents on this upcoming tour are of course, ticket sales. Look at the last tour. Why did they play Juventus in NY? They knew that not only Juventus fans would come but any Italian wanting to see an Italian team play. Of course, you have the huge Italian population in NY. Had Man Utd played an MLS team in NY, I don't think that the attendance would have been 80K+. I imagine that ticket sales would not have gone as fast either. Same deal in LA. Huge mexican population, huge Club America following. Biggest factor, ticket sales. They pick teams that will attract national interest from the many nationalities represented in the US. I don't think that playing an MLS team will do enough to create a huge demand for tickets. While I think it would be the proper thing to do, there's much more upside dollar-wise getting another big european team from another european country.

16. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I wouldn't complain if United decided to play the Fire, I think Ruud and Solskjaer would match up better against the likes of Henry and Raul than against Ante Razov and Damani Ralph. Like I said before, for big money, I want to see two top teams go at it.

I sure hope the Chicago rumor is true. I mean, I'd like to see the stadium both completely filled, and for a good team as well. And God knows the Bears won't be giving us that anytime soon.

17. ibcnu424

ibcnu424 New Member

Sep 9, 2003

They will play a game in Chicago, it is confirmed

18. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
  19. kaberon10

kaberon10 New Member

Aug 10, 2002
    Evanston
    I don't think you folks understand. I am barely able to type this post as I tremble in gleeful anticipation of the mere possibility of a Real Madrid-ManU matchup. I am not a big ManU fan (I know - this is the ManU board), but CRonaldo and Giggs and the rest of the boys are fun to watch. But to see Real-ManU in my hometown? More than I could ever, ever, literally ever dream. Just about 3 years ago this would not even be considered by anyone with any knowledge of anything ever. Now I- I am just so happy. If this happens, I will be able to die a happy man at the ripe old age of 19 (assuming of course that Real win the CL this year, which they should do.)

In summary: when will we know what opponents, and where?

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Metrostars 3
    Man United 1

One can drink enough alcohaul and dream :)

21. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone on these boards can understand how happy this makes me feel. Thanks for the links.

22. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    When I first heard they were coming back, I thought that Chicago was a lock, but I wans't so sure when they said it would be a mini-tour. I'm glad Chicago gets to see a game, they have some great fans up there.

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  24. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, you guys ain't too bad yourself.