Man United v VfB Stuttgart [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Achtung, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penalty to Stut:

SAVED BY TIMMY!!!!!

2. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Timmmmmmyyyyy

Hoooooooowwwaaaarrrdddd!!!!!

Stops a penalty kick.

Sounds like it was an incredible save.

3. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hope SAF tears a strip off the defence after the game, you need to defend better in Europe. Rio is injured, hobling around.

4. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I want to thank your lads for making Timmy feel right at home. Warding off pks, fighting back from a deficit -- just like the good, old days with Metro.

"One goal....
    We only need one goal..."

5. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Ferdinand subbed for Forlan

6. Lancashire Lad

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Ruud had a word in Howards ear before the penalty kick.

7. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    p0retty harsh commentary:

"The Uruguyan comes out up front as the error prone centreback goes off with plenty to chew on. Gary Neville fits in his old position and immediately concedes an sloppy corner. "

8. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    From UEFA.com matchcentre

80' Fernando Meira (Stuttgart) missed the penalty saved by the goalkeeper
    Howard the hero. Meira had the perfect chance to effectively end the contest. But the American goalkeeper was off his line like a bullet and dived the right way to block the shot. This could be a pivotal moment.

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fletcher on for Ronaldo

4 minutes of extra time....

10. Lancashire Lad

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Defeat is a bitter pill. :(

11. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
  12. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit... been out of the office all day. And this is what I get to see when I return.

Oh well, time to get back to the Premiership focus this weekend, and the big one against Rangers on Oct 22. Dare I label it as a must-win?

13. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Kind of shocked, to be honest. A draw would not have surprised me here. I knew their defense was great - but, then, Man Utd's is supposed to be, too.

At least Rangers are top. That must annoy the hell out of Stuttgart. Beat Man Utd... and they're 2nd.

This was always the game I feared the most. I know that sounds strange, given that I'm shocked. But I always thought that a 1-1 draw wouldn't be a surprise, so I was only one goal off. I suppose the way in which Utd lost was the surprising part.

Is Stuttgart really that talented? They must be sensationally on-form right now judging from their league results... but are their players really that good?

14. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    I'm not a United supporter, but since there's nobody there at the forum for Rangers worth talking to (yeah...i am Bhoys fan), that Battle of Britain match in Ibrox will be even more meaningful...hell, the one after that in Old Trafford should be a good one too.

I thought i would never say it, but i hope the red devils score a gazillion goals against a club, and that club is Rangers... shut up their orange order scum while they're at it.

15. Lancashire Lad

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Our defence was shite!!

You got to defend better in Europe (harp on..harp on).

16. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What exactly do Celtic fans have against Rangers fans, generally :confused:

Ignorant American, here :)

17. Lancashire Lad

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Catholic v Protestant

Celtic was if I remember correctly setup by Irish immigrants in Scotland.

The rivalry is more along religious lines.

SAFs wife is catholic and it didnt go down well with the Rangers fans that he had married a catholic, or so it is reported.

18. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    how silly, rivalries between catholics and protestants. but that's just the opinion of someone from the northern US (whose parents were Catholic and Protestant respectively).
    anyway, not having seen the game - what happened?? seems like United's defense has been solid up until this game. if i'm not mistaken it was just three goals conceded before today. was it more individual mistakes or team play that was failing?

19. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    From what I could tell it was overall poor play, although the defense played especially poorly. Of note Ferdinand and O'Shea had off days and the Nevilles also did poorly. Nistelrooy missed a couple of chances but really had poor service, and Ronaldo had a mixed game. Scholes and Giggs seemed to have a quiet game after the first few minutes, but Howard had some great saves. Stuttgart had control of most of the game and didn't seem at all intimidated by Manchester. We will have to show them good reason when we play them at Old Trafford.

20. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ferguson blames defenders

21. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Anyone going to condemn Ronaldo for his atrocious dive? Virtually no contact and he went down big-time. Howard made a good save but he was 3-4 yards off his line but the Sky commentators said that those rules don't apply in Europe.

22. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    The goalkeeper had his arm in his back. In such circumstances, players go down. You would back a player from your team doing the same for the cause, or not?

23. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee wiz...after the amount of praise heaped on the defense around here this past week, conceding two goals in two minutes was the last thing I expected.

Saw the highlights on SKY Sports last night, and it seemed like both goals were a result of clear defensive lapses by the back four. I don't think Howard had much of a chance on either goal.

24. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Howard indeed had no chance. Made a couple of fine saves. But he flapped at a couple of corners too. One of the corners he flapped at was embarrassing - luckily he had Scholes to head it off the line. The defence was nowhere at times and Ferdinand looked like an idiot, clumsy and slow.