Man United v Arsenal - 9/21 [R] (inc CL results!)

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Achtung, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, its the one we've been looking to for a while. The two top teams in the Premiership. One coming off a Champs Lge triumph, the other off a humbling defeat at home. We'd do well to win this match, which would pull Arsenal off of their Premiership cloud even more. Portsmouth showed that the Gunners can be handled in England. Arsenal will no doubt be coming into this with a chip on their shoulder, as the draw at Highbury last spring is surely still fresh in their minds.

Meanwhile, I'll repeat the question Soccernet asked in response to today's result at Highbury: "Why do Premiership teams show so much respect to an Arsenal side who are constantly shown as being fallible by European sides?" Can we take advantage of a relatively unskilled, and now exposed Arsenal defense (the way others were doing to us two years ago)?

Injury report (as of Wed afternoon):
    Probable: O'Shea, Solskjaer, Butt
    Questionable: Keane
    Doubtful: Scholes

Game is 11 ET/8 PT
    Not sure if/when it is televised. Hopefully I can find something in the Chicago area (read: west suburbs cause I don't feel like getting up real early to go to the city ;)).

2. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    Man U v. Arse

is it on FSW?

3. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    wow - that Arsenal match was a little painful to watch. I'm no Arsenal fan but I'd at least like to see the Premiership teams perform respectably. My God, it was all Italian songs in Highbury. I wonder if Patrick Viera's now wishing he HAD gone to Madrid.
    Not sure how Arsenal will react. Poor showing against Portsmouth, in a game they deserved to lose, and then blown out in front of their home fans by a "defensive" team playing 3rd/4th choice strikers. It will be a very interesting match.

4. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Re: Man U v. Arse

Not until a few days afterward, from their schedules. Couldn't believe it when I checked... seemed like every game of comparable significance last year was covered on FSW.

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Re: Re: Man U v. Arse

I think it might be PPV.

6. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    Re: Re: Re: Man U v. Arse

It's on PPV on DISH for $24.95 (ugh!)

7. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've got a bad feeling about this game. I just don't think that the emotion is going to be there for Man Utd, like it will be for Arsenal. They're absolutely furious at losing the title last year, angry about all the suspensions, and have something to prove after Wednesday's CL game. Man Utd, by contrast, won a game 5-0 in which they really didn't play all that well. I think that's always a dangerous sort of game to be coming off of, because it gives you a false sense of security.

I actually think Utd have a stronger squad when everyone's healthy... but there are just too many injuries right now. Couple that with the fact that RVN isn't really in great form right now, and I think Man Utd are going to have trouble scoring goals.

If Utd win, I expect it to be 2-1 or 1-0. If it gets to be a shoot out, I just can't see our guys winning.

Might be fun watching Ronaldo abuse the Cole or Lauren, though :D.

8. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    Re: Re: Man U v. Arse

argh, they'll probably show some mid-table slop, or worse, like Liverpool

9. ManUtd R16

ManUtd R16 New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    That could also mean a couple of red cards from referee Steve Bennett.

But I do agree that the most dangerous thing to do now is to feel overly confident. Not that United will do that with Arsenal, the two knowing each other so well over the years.

Prediction: 2-1 to United

10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Man U v. Arse

No they're on Saturday, we play Sunday and FSW didn't pick it up, PPV did.

11. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    doubt that I'll see this one live. our power is out and God only know when they get it back on again. I could've sworn I put 50p in the meter.

12. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Shine off the game? Nah. Maybe my competitive spirit just isn't up there with yours - but my eyes went wide at the idea of Ruud, Giggs, , Ronaldo, and Solksjaer having to deal with Toure and Keown.

All sympathy for the guys family.

14. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but even if we paste them, we'll hear "you wouldn't have scored all those goals if Sol was playing" rubbish... :rolleyes:

15. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    You folks are pathetic. It will make shoving Old Trafford dirt up your filthy a$$ even more enjoyable, Sol or no-Sol.

16. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the United Forum. If you don't like it here, sod off. That is all.

17. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    good way to bring the tone down.... classy.
    thankfully not all Arsenal supporters are like you.

18. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What, because you'll personally be on the pitch at Old Trafford? Or anywhere near my ass? And who precisely are you referring to? I was actually disagreeing with another fan about this.

Or perhaps it's because I expressed sympathy for Sol Campbell? Sorry. I didn't think that was just the province of Arsenal fans.

Or maybe, you disagree with the assessment that Kolo Toure and Martin Keown (at his current age) are ill-equipped to handle international class attackers?

I'm struggling to see what precisely was so offensive about my comments. What was so offensive about your crude, pointless comments is obvious.

19. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    The funny things about this are:

1) If you post on an Arsenal thread they go nuts no matter what you post, good or bad!
    2) Only one person said anything bad and it's "you folks"
    3) They are quite defensive after the shellacking they took against Inter...oh never mind they always are.
    4) They always have to use the term "ManUre" but we just call them Arsenal
    5) Arsenal are never having problems. Doesn't matter how many bans or injuries or lack of playing defense they are always ready to paste someone...until they lose the title and are making their excuses!

GO MAN UNITED!!!!

20. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who made these observations.

21. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Why so touchy about being called Manure? Sounds like playground stuff to me.

Anyway, not still "defensive" about the shellacking on Wed. (Still in shock, more like it.) All the same, w/ or w/out Sol I'm sure the boys will be up to the task. Nothing like a little venom in the blood for a trip up North.

22. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Howard on the match

from soccernet.com:

'Arsenal are coming into our house and we have to stop them from taking it,' he said. 'We got ahead of them in the Community Shield and they will be hungry to avenge that. They also have one of the most talented strikeforces in the game, so they will come at us all guns blazing.'

If nothing else, the kid knows how to make a good sound bite.

23. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Re: Tim Howard on the match

I hewar he's a decent goalie as well...:)

24. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Tim Howard on the match

Probably. ;)
    Though I was just a bit entertained by his description of a group of Frenchmen as having "all guns blazing".