Maldini to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by roarksown1, Jul 5, 2005.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    He could play til he's 50!

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Not being an @$$ just trying to help.

I think he should def. come, and persuade Gianfranco Zola and Paolo Di Canio to come as well!

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with doing this with a defender instead of an attacker is that the only benefits you'll really see is in terms of his on the field play and his ability to impart wisdom to younger players. But with a defender, even a great one like Maldini, the "butts in the seats" aspect isn't the same as with an attacking maestro. Ultimately the big crowds would rather see someone who makes things happen than one who prevents things from happening.

4. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matthaeus was on the Bayern Munich team that won the domestic league and made it to the Champions League Final.

I do concede that Matthaeus has proven that he has been more of a headcase than Maldini ever will, but they are both old, and both had a considerable amount of success in Europe in their late 30s.

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one of those weird situations where he might find things more difficult in MLS than Serie A. Maldini may still be able to do many great things, win footraces with the Justin Mapp, Eddie Johnson and Eddie Gaven types is not one of them. In Serie A with AC Milan (and to a lesser extent with the Azzuri), he doesn't have to. The midfield possession and backline organization (of which he is obviously a key part of) make it so that Maldini doesn't get caught in situations where his age can be exploited. His teammates know their jobs and Maldini sure as hell knows his, and as such he doesn't have to face jailbreaks with 21 year olds running at him all day...

...such would not be the case with the current incarnation of the Metrostars. It would only happen a limited number of times before he started yelling at somebody to do something about that hillbilly from the town in Texas he's never heard of.

He'd still be an excellent player, of course, but I could see a situation where he got frustrated with the lack of support he got from his teammates. A guy like Figo could just bust a move whenever he got the ball. A guy like Maldini has teamwork and organization as his calling card (as well as wonderful skills) and as such the lack of quality of his teammates might be more important.

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

If I understand my redneckology correctly, a hillbilly is from Appalachia. We don't really have hillbillies in Texas. The kid from Nacogdoches (pronounced, "bag o' nachos") may be a redneck, but probably not a hillbilly.

7. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just great! Someone else is going to get this unbelievable ageless wonder and we're stuck with an almost 40 year old guy with 11 friggin' fingers!

Fire Doug Hamilton!

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ya, di Canio's goal celebrations would really make a ton of new MLS fans in Brooklyn, Skokie, Miami Beach ...

9. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah, and you believed the stories about DC United shopping Argentina for a defender....

Maybe Italy?

10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you know that one of the Argies' many long-standing grievances about life is that they're actually a piece of Italy misplaced in South America. :D

11. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I wonder if we are underestimated the value of someone like Maldini in what they can give to the younger players in the league here? As a teacher.. Maybe .. Maybe not.. Just a thought..

12. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Living in Latin America, I was always told: "Argentinians are Italians who speak Spanish, but think they're English"

13. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    How is there any hesitation. As long as his attitude is like Djorkaeff, he'd be the best player in MLS.

14. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maldini is a class act as well as a world class player he would be awsome at MLS.. But this seems highly UNLIKELY. Maldini is set for another round at serie A this year with the year after most likely being his last one. He has spent 20 years at Milan, and I doubt a move to the US really is in his plans.

A world class player but this is MLS wishful thinking... Funny people complain that Maldini is old. But hey if old guys play like him, I'd fill my whold team with guys over 33.. LOL, ahhh Maldini 36 years old, plays like he's 30 and looks no older than his 25th birthday.

15. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I don't think a single person from MLS has commented on this. The speculation comes from an Spanish newspaper article with no quotes from anyone in MLS.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sorry I'm late. Are we talking about Cesar or Paolo?

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Alternate version of your post.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    One would think that the Malvinas War would've disabused them of that notion. ;)

19. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    This would be a great idea, unless we can get a much lesser known up and comer from Uruguay instead, as some want.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Cesare is the Italian version of Bob Gansler.

21. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean Gansler is the American Cesare?

22. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is talk among the MLS brass to change the salary stucture so teams can bring in aging but, still effective veterans. ie stars such as beckham, figo, zidane, and maldini. I think this is still necessary and is good for the league.

23. Vascao

Vascao Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Zona Sul
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    06/07/05 10:29
    Holandês Davids diz sonhar em jogar pelo Flamengo

Gravando documentário no Brasil, volante da Inter de Milão revela fascínio pelo Rubro-Negro:

http://lancenet.ig.com.br/clubes/FLA/noticias/05-07-06/323910.asp

Basically, it just says that he's out of contract...in Rio shooting a documentary.....said he dreams of playing for flamengo..

Let's hope Davids' name comes up in these talks...if he's so desperate for employment that he's claiming to be dreaming of playing for flamengo :mad: , then MLS most definitely has a very realistic opportunity of procuring his services.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No, that was Douglas McArthur.