Maldini to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by roarksown1, Jul 5, 2005.

1. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take a look at this link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3738522

Apparently the legend wants to finish his career in MLS/the U.S.

Any thoughts on the credibility of this or if you would like to see Maldini here? Age aside, this man's a legend who still can help his team to the Champions League final - welcome by me for a season or two...

2. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Is this more of the crap where every player in Europe says he wants to play in the US when he gets too old to do anything else? Tell him the NASL went out of business.

3. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I hope he stays put. we don't need no stinking AARP members starting in the MLS.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is starting to look that way.

5. Vascao

Vascao Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Zona Sul
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he's a not a once-upon-a-time from Mexico.
    If MLS is so desperate for names/experience, I still say they should go after RIVALDO or DAVIDS - more bang, about the same buck....actually I have no idea how much any of these fools would cost the league :confused:

6. O' Razov my Razov

Jun 22, 2005
    Albany
    In case you guys missed it this guy can still play AND play well.

I would take this guy in a heart beat if you jerkoffs dont want him well take him.

7. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally, I'd be the first to agree with the above posted sentiments, but Maldini is an extraordinary anomaly.

I didn't want Matthaeus. I didn't want Juskowiak. Djorkaeff is proving to be somewhere in the middle - plays hard when he's fit enough to play.

But Maldini is truly an extraordinary player who was still marshalling the defense of an AC Milan side that just went to the Champions League final six weeks ago. He wasn't some role player or old fart relegated to the bench. He was still first choice.

So believe me when I say that I am all for MLS not becoming a geriatric league as some may perceive it to be, but Maldini's profile and agelessness I feel would still be a positive for the league's image and play.

Just thought I'd get that out there...

8. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maldini is still a good player. Even though he is old, he sure doesnt play like it.

9. O' Razov my Razov

Jun 22, 2005
    Albany
    PLease let him come here MLS Pleasssseee!!! YOu wan tto Razov and CO light it up with this guy running the defensive to offensive setup. Guvera Djorkajeff and Maldini with ANte up front?? Holy crap!!!

10. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly. He isn't the stereotypical old fart who isn't going to be able to keep up. He's universally admired in the football world, and has really been something of an ageless wonder. If we were to bring another "older" player to MLS, I can't think of a better one than Maldini.

11. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos to Alexi if he can reel in Maldini to the MetroStars.

12. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    If he was captain of Italy at age 33 in the World Cup in 2002 and still a force in Serie A at 36, he can play in MLS and I want him to!

13. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, any team would love to have him.

14. johnnygol

johnnygol New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    He could explain to Bob Bradley why he never had a problem with his father being his coach. no one ever question that he was the best player and deserved every single minute of every single game. Who cares if he is 50 if he plays like he knows. But I still think he won't come because salary issue.

15. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    I agree with most everyone who's replied. Maldini isn't the typical over-the-hill Euro coming over here for easy money. I'd be pretty happy to have someone who started in the Champions' League final a few weeks ago on my team. He'd be a great resource for any team that gets him, can you imagine learning from a guy like Maldini?

Plus, he's so well respected that it would only help the international profile of MLS.

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed.
    If Maldini can't make the Mutts good, nothing can and they should fold immediately upon such a realization.

17. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Hmm... United could use a strong backliner....

Sachin

18. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I don't have a problem bringing in really old Euro players, as long as they're some of the best players in the world, and really want to be here. Djorkaeff and Maldini fit that category. I would love to see Henry play here in five years.

19. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Here is the original article from El Mundo Deportivo where they report that Maldini wants to play in the US. Its a bit confusing as they say he wants to retire here, but he wants to play in MLS, but he also wants to live in Florida. Anyway, this is the google translated story.

I wanna playa ina MLSa

20. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maldini is not coming to MLS. I have no idea where that story came from. I've never heard him say this. Maybe they are confusing Maldini with Billy Costacurta who has said he would like to play in the US. Maldini extended his contract last year to 2007. He will retire a rossoneri.

21. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey, any player who is willing to make MLS money (maximum or a little above), put up with the heat and long plane flights, and not expect a no-cut contract is welcome to play in our league as long as he contributes. Everybody has a favorite player they'd like to see here but the success rate for older Europeans in MLS hasn't exactly been outstanding.

22. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree ;)

[​IMG]

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maldini is ageless and still such a force. I don't what it is about those old Italians like Maldini and Zola who are as old as dirt as still have it. I love to see Maldini in MLS but I just don't know if he could muster up enough courage to play in any jersey except Milan. I just see him going out w/Milan because of his lifetime association.

24. johnnygol

johnnygol New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    ..... and onionsack scores big time :D

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Jordy Cruyiff said the same thing in the current 4-4-2 but he has been injured a lot.

Anyhow, Maldini doesn't need the money and will probably be reasonable in his wage requests. He speaks very good English and no doubt would enjoy a waterfront mansion next to Shaq, J-Lo, Rosie O'Donnell and the surviving Gibb Brothers.