Makukula: Is now the time?

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Aveirenses, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hes not committed to BigSoccer like us.

2. Ronaldo07

Ronaldo07 New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Makukula = Portugal's Drogba? :D

3. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    A very big drogba :D

4. Paul Sousa

Paul Sousa Member

Sep 18, 2005
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Watching the highlights, he looks absolutely gigantic out there! I know he's not that tall, what 6'3, but in relation to everyone else he might as well be 8'3.

5. Ronaldo07

Ronaldo07 New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Hes not your typical Portuguese player.

6. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pff I wish. If we had Drogba we would have won Euro and the WC.

7. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Moving to SL Benfica killed his chances of playing in Euro 08

8. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It really did.

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Sure, no more headlines when he would score. :eek:

Did he score one for SL Benfica ? One maybe ?

10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He scored in the UEFA Cup, but I agree SLB was the worst thing to happen to him. Nothing is going right over there and he was just another log added to the fire with no real fit.

He played so well for the NT his two games. Even vs Italy he help up play amazingly vs their defense and would of nabbed a goal if Bruno Alves remember that he was a CB and not a Kamikaze.

11. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree with you. Things are going way wrong at my club. You have to feel bad for the guy. Let's hope a new coach can see how useful Maku can be up top.

12. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I always found it weird that Freddy Adu rode the bench as much as he did. No one really knows how to run that club. Good managers are hard to come by but Benfica has had more coaching problems the last 10 years more so then even Real Madrid.

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    From " A Bola" :" Lazaroni incentiva Makukula

Ariza Makukula ficou de fora das escolhas de Luiz Felipe Scolari para o Euro-2008. Sebastião Lazaroni considera que o seu antigo pupilo no Marítimo foi prejudicado pela «concorrência e as mudanças de treinador no Benfica», mas diz-se convicto no regresso do avançado às boas exibições e aos golos.
    Makukula
    ASF
    «Makukula vivia um grande momento no Marítimo quando se transferiu para o Benfica. Era uma referência na nossa equipa», recordou Lazaroni na Antena 1.

«A concorrência e as mudanças de treinador no Benfica tornaram tudo mais difícil e ele pagou por isso», defendeu, rematando: «Terá de ter confiança nas suas capacidades»."

Even his former coach recognizes it.

14. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Makukula did get some chances at Benfica but he didnt do much with them and thats why he didnt play more. Where as with Maritimo he played no matter what.

You can't blame his lack of playing time at Benfica for the reason he was excluded, if thats the case you wouldnt see Postiga who constantly gets called and Viana who used to constantly get called. Petit didnt play much this year either but he has experience on his side.

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Makukula scored 7 goals for Maritimo and 2 goals for Benfica. Postiga scored 2 goals while in Greece...

16. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    exactly, its a matter of Scolari's preference...not always about who is better (as it should be sometimes given past clutch performances)

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Postiga still shows glimpses, he is technically gifted and has movement.

18. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Agreed, he played well as a number 10 for Porto for a stretch 2 years ago...

19. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Yes I can, and I did. And there's nothing you can do to stop me. :)

20. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly, the thing was Makukula was not a good fit at Benfica. Things at the club were so disorganized and he shouldn't of been brought in it didn't look like it was going to beneficial for either Party right at the start. It would of made sense after the end of the season.

21. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Makukula was a fool to go to benfica, a benfica with no support from midfield to supply him a pipeline, with steady playing time.

If he stayed at maritimo he would have had 15 goals atleast.

Remember her scored 7 goals in like 10 games, since he missed 4 to suspension and one to injury before he transfered after half a season.

Postiga..last year he scored 10 goals in half the season, when hes on form he still looks like that decent prospect Mourinho was nurturing.

But at times he looks like pure crap..

So who knows really.