Making the Trip from Mile High

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by DavidJames, Nov 5, 2003.

1. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Greetings,

It looks like I'll be making the drive from Denver for the game Saturday night. I'll be coming with my daughter and never having been to KC before am looking for suggestions on how to spend our time during the day before game. Any thoughts?

2. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Sure, relax and shake off the travel dust at the hotel pool in the morning, maybe walk around the Plaza or check out the Negro League Museum a bit in the afternoon, then grab some Gates BBQ (ask your counter guy or check a phone book...go with a long end, big enough for both of you...be sure to taste the "Extra Hot" sauce) and come to the stadium for the Soccer Celebration (younger kids) or the B5 tailgate (older kids of all ages) for pre-game. BYOB, so hit a grocery store. Back to the pool post-game, hopefully to drown your sorrow over the Rapids losing :). BTW, your ticket will be good for a slice of pizza from Poppa John's at the game - you should still have the ribs though.

That's pretty good for a day in KC this time of year.

3. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Re: Re: Making the Trip from Mile High

Notice he said "taste" the extra hot sauce... not "put the extra hot sauce on your ribs."

Seriously... just taste it, unless you're REALLY into spicy ribs.

4. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're into art museums, the Nelson-Atkins museum just east of the Plaza is excellent. The Liberty Memorial and Museum is worth a visit. It's the primo museum dedicated to WWI and is located just south of downtown across Pershing Road from Union Station.

If you're of eastern european heritage, the Strawberry Hill Museum in Kansas City, KS would be interesting.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope your trip, with the exception of the outcome of the game :), is enjoyable.

5. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Thanks all. I'll also be coming out with some buddies for the game. I do have to find a bar to watch the Badgers v Gophers game in morning but after that, a nice slab of ribs sounds pretty damn good.

We'll be sure to come by the tailgate as well. A couple beers and some good-natured smack talk is always good before a game. Too bad the Broncos forced the Rapids to have a Tuesday game because it would have been great to have a few Wizards fan in attendance at game 1.

Hopefully, we'll be able to celebrate on foreign soil. Go Rapids!!!

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you are a history buff and want to visit the Truman Presidential Museum (in Independence and only about 10 minutes from Arrowhead) I can leave you free tickets at the front desk to get you in my place of work.

Just PM me if you are interested.

BTW this offer is open to all Wizards fans too :)

7. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Good tip on just tasting the Hot - I like it, but it's not for everyone. As for the Golphers (I hope you are for them), they are not on the ABC package at all (I have the PPV). Check either teams website, or alum chapters to see what channel it's on. With rare exception, most Big 10/1 gmes are available on some channel in KC as only 3 Big 12 games ever get aired on any given week. At the very least, any bar with a satellite system should be able to get it done.

8. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    You're right, it could be regional coverage. It is listed as on at 10 am MST here in Denver. I guess I just assumed it would be on ESPN2 in KC as well. I'll check it out.

And no, I'm not for the Gophers. Lifelong Badgers fan who has had to have therapy because of this season. Let's see, lose to UNLV, beat OSU, then lose to Northwestern. Xanex anyone? Lithium?