Make your moves Alexi!

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by LA4Life, Jan 29, 2008.

1. LA4Life

LA4Life Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else sick of seeing all these personnel moves happening around the league, Burciaga to Colorado, DC bringing in 5 south americans, Gomez is available, but Colorado again? Jim Curtin to Chivas?

And the Galaxy... announce details of their Asian preseason circus? That's all we can do? We need to make moves and we need to make them now! They don't all have to be high profile, but we need a solid starting lineup and it wouldn't hurt to have some solid guys on the bench either. Aside from the Babayaro talk, what are we waiting for? Fifth week of the season to make moves like last year?

Post your thoughts....

2. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do know they acquired Ruiz and are in process of signing Babyaro (apparently). Those moves are every bit as big as the ones other teams are making. So what's your point?

3. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are still only half way in my opinion. And if you count the off field things like making the game day experience more interesting and fun to regular fans, I think LAG is down to 25% of accomplishing anything this off season.

4. chitrader

chitrader BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2002
    Hell-Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thought is that we've made enough moves over the past 9 months. Probably too many moves. And with Ruiz and Babayaro (probably) in and Albright, Cannon, Pavon and Glinton (not counting Mathis) out, in addition to our draft picks, I think we have done as much as we're going to do.

5. LAG10

LAG10 New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well since we dropped so much in the salary cap and gained 800,000 with allocation money, i think we can still do more....also we still havent officially signed babayaro yet so if dont sign him, then we def have much more we can do

6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It is very frustrating. We still have a desperate need for central defenders, where we are not only weak, but an injury away from being very weak. Alexi is lazy, methinks.

7. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member+

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is one thing Lalas isn't, it's lazy.

Answer this. Bravo is the new honcho of scouting. Did he not go to South and Central America to identify players? Where are these players? Not so much as a rumor about anyone coming here from SA/CA. Maybe Bravo isn't quite cut out for this gig?

8. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Does Bravo even speak spanish?

9. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I agree. I hope we are done making moves. Perhaps if you can bring in another defender without shipping anybody out, you do that, but otherwise it's time for Ruud and Cobi to start earning their paychecks, build some team chemistry, and coach these guys up.

10. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Him's tinkin'

Lalas is adding by subtracting.

here is a scary thought.

We are 21 days away from our first Pan Pacific tournament game.
    We are 36 days away from our first Asian Tour game.
    We are 60 days away from our first MLS league game.

The team is posting a 20 man roster (with Mathis).

Injured Jazic, and unknown whereabouts of Abel Xavier.

Donovan & Cronin - at least getting some training in with US nats.

Randolph will be gone for some of Feburary and March in training and olympic qualifying.

And of course mega-twat becks on a global whirlwind tour to promote himself and his alio-wife and her bands pneumatic drill bit sounds of "up with people" ahhem... i mean the Trite-girls, I mean the space-girls, spicegirls, yah thats it.

And the G's announce official training camp the first week of February.

A. - who will be there?
    B. - How long does it take to teach sexy football to this lot?
    C. - We can't sign Babayaro cause he died breaking his leg chasing down a hermaprodite with dreads in a Tyneside rave club. So I read that they are shipping his corpse to Churchill downs to be buried under a racing stanchion.

All I know is this team is short on time, talent, and fan patience..... we have in abundance of empty promises, empty suits, empty ideas, and empty roster spots waiting like a beckham cross to be filled.

11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't agree that we should be done with making moves. I don't want another roster overhaul but we have a very unbalanced group of guys that don't form an obvious 4-4-2 because we lack talent on outside midfield. And doesn't form a real 4-3-3 because we lack defensive bite in the midfield with the personel that would likely be on the field in that formation. No matter what formation we play we are weak in central defense.

With our personnel we are most likely going to play a 4-4-2 with a box midfield without any wingers but that option is weaker now too without Albright's ability to attack up the flanks.

We need a few pieces still to balance out the group we have now.

12. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm not as harsh as you guys on Alexi/Bravo.

The reality is that we were late to the South American game and that hurt us. Next year is the real test for how well we recruit in SA.

Say that we get Babayaro and line up like this:

-----------Ruiz--------------

----------Donovan----------

Randolph----Beckham----Klein

-----------Harmse-----------

Babayaro--Harberts--X--Franklin

------------Cronin-----------

Our problem is not so much the quality of the players, but the age.

I put the young players in italics. IMO this is too much youth to be successful. However, there is the potential for us to be pretty good next year if the talent develops.

Which leaves us in a difficult position this year. We're basically looking for someone to come in and cover one or two of those positions for a year while the young guys develop. But it's difficult and expensive to do that.

Given all our allocation dollars, we probably could bring one player in addition to Babayaro. And I'll be disappointed if we don't. However, I think we need to be realistic about how many players we can bring in.

13. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -What bugs me the most , is Lexi was a defender in his playing days....... Our defense up to midfield is a big problem.. The rest of the money better be spent on a defender or two... Why can't he see this?
    -DC does it again- 4-5 players signed and apparently all will be in camp ..
    -If we are going to do anything, get it down NOW... 60 days to season is not really that much, when you consider we are going to be off flying around all over
    -
    Other question- is Ruid and family moved in yet?

14. LA4Life

LA4Life Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point in this whole thread is not that we haven't shipped enough guys out, its that we don't have enough for a solid roster. The season is a LONG one, this year I believe it is being extended even, and there are multiple competitions, friendlies, and hopefully no exhibitions mid season. Ruiz I just read is recovering from a knee surgery, so as much as I love how he used to score goals for us, I'm not too optimistic based on his form in last years at Dallas.

Am I supposed to be excited about Babayaro? Really? We don't need more big names, big names are for big exhibitions. We need solid performers, guys like Jesse Marsch, Chris Armas, Steve Ralson (not them specifically, but guys in those roles) who may not bring you magic but will be there when you need them.

We shouldn't ship any more promising players out, but we need to be bringing in something, and fast. I don't want to see a different roster lining up around Beckham, Donovan and Ruiz next year every night because of injuries, poor performance issues, etc.

15. LA4Life

LA4Life Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do know that we need 11 players on the field, right? If we were in the NBA and had 2 big names coming in, I would be thrilled. We lost alot in the offseason, those two don't come close to compensating for it.

16. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really missed the point - you were saying everybody else is making moves and Lexi wasn't. Lexi added one or two starters, which is about what everybody did, more than some. And if you were looking to turn over the entire starting 11, you are completely unrealistic as to what can be done under current MLS salary cap rules and existing player contracts, to say nothing of the fact that it would be an incredibly dumb approach. What this team has lacked more than anything is cointinuity and stability. Lets see what the core players can do before we panic here about more turnover. And, BTW, I would be willing to bet we pick up one more quality player before the season starts, hopefully a central defender or a true left-sided midfielder.

17. Crzyknot

Crzyknot Member

Sep 30, 2006
    i think what our friend is trying to say that just because DC sign about 4 players we should do the same. Yes i feel that we should have brought several player rather then 1 or 2.... but like cadaver pointed out theres cap issues. I think that if moves are made they should be players coming in and no one going out. They do not need to be starters, but we should at least have a good bench!

18. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think our roster needs more balance.

Clearly we need another experience GK.

We are bloated in some positions and very thin in others. We need to make some minor moves to be strong accross the board.

It would be helpful to have an idea of how Ruud intends us to play. Until we (or more likely he) figures out the approach he'll take, it's very hard to play armchair quarterback.

19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players we lost that we had at the end of last season:

Cannon
    Pavon
    Caso
    Veris

Players we have gained so far:

Ruiz
    1 top-ten draft prospect
    2 more solid draft picks

Additional, we lost Albright (who was injured at the end of last season and a non-factor for us) but gained a healthy Beckham (who was also injured at the end of last season and a non-factor for us, if not a negative).

I'd say right now we're about even with where we ended last season. But we have (according to Bravo) about $800,000 in allocation money right now, so if we can sign 2 or 3 more experienced pros (not "stars" - but good starters that fill our needs) then I think we're a better team than what ended last season.

And I'm not sure we need to sign all 3 right now. There's something to be said for getting a couple players now, but then having the flexibility to sign another player in the summer transfer window, once we see how the team plays (or who gets injured), that can address a weakness...

20. Crzyknot

Crzyknot Member

Sep 30, 2006
    Totally agree
    Great post!!

21. LA4Life

LA4Life Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone has some good input. My original point was that I can imagine that DC fans are salivating right now about their potential next season after these moves. I also said that players of high caliber are being moved around the league, and I'm curious if we're going after them. Christian Gomez is available, who knows at what cost, but should we be looking at a guy like that? Jim Curtin, definitely not sexy, but solid. I'd just like to know that we're not completely focused on big names for exhibitions but also on building a winner on the field.

We did lose alot since the end of the season. What I mean when I say "make your moves alexi!" is not that he's lazy or doesn't have good intentions of selling out in Asia, its that we should have learned from last year that the sooner you add to your roster the better. We need a Toja, a great discovery that we found because Bravo was having tacos with the right guys down in South America.

I see lots of posts about who we could play where, but I'm not excited about any of it. What we needed was not to let Albright go, or sign Ruiz, and search long and hard for strikers down south, Luciano Emilio didn't just fall into DC one day, they scouted him for years. I just hope Alexi's focus is on winning league games. How much we make in Hawaii and Asia in the off season is a distraction from the important issue of quality play in the league.

22. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC did sign four players, but their losses were pretty deep too, probably more critical than ours. And if you look at who left LAG, other than Cannon and Albright, who will we miss? Nobody, really. And we haven't had any positive time from Albright in so long that his loss does not change the team much.

The South America connection is a tough one to build, and no matter what Bravo has done so far, or does yet this year, that bridge is going to take YEARS to build. You are dead right about how long it took DC to scout and sign Emilio. That's not to say we shouldn't do it. We should. But let's not be too surprised if nothing comes of it this year. Its a long term project. And we need to build a roster that competes in 60 days, not three years from now.

The previous attempt to build a relationship with Sao Paulo was a great idea. But, for whatever reason, that whole deal seems to have died on the vine. Or at least LAG has been VERY quiet about it. That would be a great topic of LAG to cover in their blog, BTW.

If we are really getting Babayaro (and the longer that goes unannouced, the less likely it seems to be happening) I think we can start the season with a competative team and evaluate what moves need to be made. If no Babayaro, I sure would like to see us pick up another defender now so the backline can develop some communication. But, this is a tweak, not a major overhaul.

23. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    team 1993

Forwards:

Ruiz, Buddle, Gordon, Sesay, Donovan (grade B+/A-)

Good starting group of forwards... bench good with buddle. grade takes a hit with one or more injuries.

Midfielders:

Becks, Gray, Harmse, Vagenas, Martino, Tudela, Klein (grade C)

I debate giving this group a C. take another injury to becks and its a D-.
    this is essentially a mid table MLS midfield... needs improving.

Defenders:

Harden, Randolph, Kirk, Roberts, Jazic, Xavier (grade B-/C+)

This is big... If no "X" than this is the worst Defense in MLS, take into account the loss of Jazic til May. Really this isnt the starting defense I envisioned after our last regular season loss to Chicago.

Keepers:

Cronin (grade C-)

Being generous with the grade... if the G's dont make a move to shore up that defense and tell us whats up with "X" this kid could be as shot as John Busch, Nick Rimando, Jonny Walker -(retired after great hope).

I really dont think that this will be the team they start the season with.... but god help us if it is. It's definately no winner in my book if it is.

24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I like the "Harberts" designation. :)

Ok, now there will always be injuries, call-ups, etc. To simulate, remove two players from your lineup other than Harmes and Harberts and replace them with our bench players and see what you have. Not pretty. As someone just said, we don't need more stars, we need some solid players to provide depth. Right now if any of Ruiz, Becks, Donovan, Klein, Cronin, or X are injured, their replacement will be shaky at best.

25. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was in my MLS Confidential e-mail from Soccer America: