Make Copa America 4 year west hemisphere tournament

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by olckicker, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I disagree with your statements vs Honduras. That Honduras team was inspired. They were a solid team. I dont care if Brazil had sent a "z" team. Brazil is Brazil and there 'brand' /image is very important to them, to FIFA, etc. The home media killed them for that Copa America.
    How can you say CA is a joke?? Compared to what??? Times have changes and so now we see the top domestic players with 2-3 European stars. Who's to say the guys in Europe are so much better. Look at the rosters in the last CA for all squads and you'll see some top players.

2. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    this is actually a great idea.

3. gromit

gromit Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Wallace's House
    Compared to UEFA and CONMEBOL every other confederation is weak. CONCACAF does not have quality depth.

4. SpaceAddict

SpaceAddict New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree that the Copa America tournament should be all inclusive, but I think there needs to be some sort of qualifying round set in place. At the moment, I believe that the world's perception of "Copa America" is that it's a 2nd tier tourney compared to Euro Cup. On a competition level alone most would consider the African tourney to be better and it doesn't help America Soccer (North or South) to have a tourney in which Carribean or Central American nations with no real reason to be there lose maybe 7-0 to Brasil. Between North America (3), Central America (7), The Carribean (20+/-) and South America (12) -- There can be a qualifying tourney in place to end up with 4 groups of 4 teams. The top 2 of each group advancing and so on. Remember that all accross the world they teach that the Americas is including The Carribean, North, Central, and South. Just my 2 cents...
    -Addict

5. destruktion

destruktion BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 30, 2006
    Woodland,CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

THE U.S. now as of last week has 300 million people!

6. NegativeRed

NegativeRed New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    First off, it’s the USSF that says no, not us in the forums . . . Most of us Americans that post here would LOVE to see the USMNT playing in the CA . . . secondly, the refusal has NOTHING to do with SA being ’unsafe,’ but because of the conflict with MLS which the USSF is trying to grow . . . Growing a new sports league in the 21st century alone is difficult, trying to compete with the already established behemoths of the NFL, the NBA, MLB and the NHL as well as several collegiate sports is hard enough , let alone trying to do it while losing many of the star players in your league right in the middle of the season for a month, give or take . . .

But DC is not very indicative of our NT . . . Most of the players that will be representing us in the coming years, after we pick our new coach and start competing internationally again, aren’t even MLS-based players, but European based, let alone DC United players . . . DC has one of the most international squads in MLS . . .

This is so true . . .

7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the mls sucks because it wants to...

seriously why is the age for foriegn based players 28????

like u know how many south americans want to go to the US?
    U can make the MLS as good as the mexican league or better because the US HAS MONEY !!!

Mexican league isnt good.... the reason all SA players want to go there and many pick it over europe because they pay alot of money.

Get 16-18 year old SA players buy them bring them to ur league give visas to their families and u will have a great league. They wont be expensive either, and if you sell them to european teams they will cost millions or if they never get called up to a SA team you can use them for ur nt.

also expand... the MLS is the only league that i can think of that doesnt have a 2nd division... or that only has like 10 teams... use to be 8...

U cant make a quality NT with only 8 teams.

the MLS must lower the the age of foriegn based players
    must add more teams... at least 12 or more teams(hopefully 16)
    have a 2nd division and maybe even a 3rd

now i know this wont happen any time soon, but that would be great.

8. NegativeRed

NegativeRed New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    While MLS doesn't have a traditional second division in the relegation-promotion tradition, we DO have a second division of football in the US, its called the USL . . . this from www.expertfootball.com (cause this guy writes better then I do . . . )

As far as expansion, we are expanding . . . in the last two years we added Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake and are in the process of adding Toronto FC. As far as bringing in more youngsters from South America for more money, I'd love to see such a scenario, but the money is a factor . . . MLS is competing against four established leagues of pro sport, all of which number among the richest sport leagues in the world, for all of the endorsement money and fans . . . the guys that are running these teams are doing wonders considering their market share: Building new stadia, increasing player salaries, etc. Building a league that is on par with even leagues such as the English Coca Cola Championship or the Norwegian Tippeligan is no easy or overnight task . . . and as far as lowering the age of foreign based players, that as well would be good but many leagues around the world to do, not just MLS . . .

. . . as far as using SA expats to fuel our NT, I don't see that . . . I think it would be GREAT for these players to come into MLS and up the ante on the competition and make our players better, but to stack our team with foreign players is not only cheating in my mind but just a cheap trick . . . we should be focusing more on things like Bradenton to build up our own youth and better our domestic league . . . I think that many of the things that you suggested will help, though, for real . . . I think that ALL of CONCACAF needs to play more meaningful interleague matches at the club level, as well . . . I think this is part of the reason that many (okay, all) of the regional leagues are so weak in comparison to their European, Brazilian and Argentinian counterparts . . .

9. Milliano

Milliano New Member

Jul 7, 2006
    The only thing that really makes it a 'second division' is that people say it is. There is no real connection between the two. It's more like there are two top divisions - one being more popular and better quality than the other. It's like what CART versus IRL used to be.

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That's exactly how I feel, and I think that's the general feel that both of these leagues have in that sense.

Metro

11. NegativeRed

NegativeRed New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    We have the economy for it . . . can you imagine if we actually DID produce two top flights soccer divisions? that'd be sweet . . .

12. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think the US and Mexico should hop on over to Conmebol like the Aussies did with AFC. It will give them and the Conmebol teams more challenge and would also give the smaller Concacaf teams a chance to qualify to a WC. It would also be great for the US as they would have a chance to improve by facing tougher competition, i think the US in general doesn't do well internationaly because of their lack of competition.

A USA/Mexico move to Conmebol would benefit everyone.

13. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Mexico currently play in every Conmebol tournament except those that qualify for FIFA tournaments. I suspect they like it that way.

14. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I meant in qualifiers and your right, I doubt they'l do it... why would you when you know your guarrenteed a WC spot every 4 years

15. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    yeah i agree, the US should do better considering they most likely have more people playing soccer than we have population :)

16. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Well it's not a bad idea. But Mexico and USA are the only powers in concacaf , Not a bad idea would be if fifa adds Australia to concacaf , that would make things interesting ,I guess

17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um... Australia is nowhere near South America AND for soccer purposes its part of Asia.

18. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    I know its no were near , But who cares concacaf needs decent teams and Australia is decent , They got no were to go just stick them in Concacaf:eek:

19. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Australia has already joined Asia for more competition/competitive.

20. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should also get Israel. They aren't really European and goodness knows they can't play in Asia for political reasons and they are pretty good.
    Lets also take England from UEFA. I know they aren't anywhere near CONCACAF.

COME ON!!!!

Also, Australia do have somewhere to go... if you read my post, they are now already part of Asia.

21. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Maybe Mexico could share in some of its TV money and help make its region better?

22. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Thats not a bad idea , But that would take years to accomplished , and nations in concacaf like canada money is not a problem , its just that they dont have alot of soccer fans,

23. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    You really mean the number of fans = the quality of soccer?

Or do you relate that with fans = general soccer IQ, general youth support, etc...hockey being the national psort and all.

24. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Im not sure about the number of fans means quality soccer, But a team with no supporters is nothing , No point for a team if they dont have fans, If soccer was Canadas main sport surely they would be as good as usa. Usa doesnt have much fans neither , but then again is a decent amount of supporters they got

25. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    this is is hiow it should be

host nation lets say chile 2009 or ecuador 2009 right SO.....

....... CHILE...... BRA.......ARG........URU
    .......PARA........PER........COL........ECU
    ......VEN..........BOL.........USA........MEX
    ..concacaf1..concacaf2...wcHOST...concacaf3, invite or something else
    ex
    ..costa rica..honduras..southAfrica..Spain/Portugal/Guatemala/USRR/Iraq/Newpi