Make Copa America 4 year west hemisphere tournament

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by olckicker, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will someone please make this happen?

The US has to play someone else besides Mexico, Trinidad, and Costa Rica to get better. Everyone else in the tournament will get a hella' lot more money. In the last Copa was sad to see so many empty seats.

2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    hey Reb why dont we just merge the concacaf and the comenbol ... so US never qualifies and can play our copa america?? Is that a deal?

Im tired of people from concacaf wanting South american teams to play them in cups to make them better but they dont want to play us in qualifiers

3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who doesn't want to play colombia in qualifiers?
    I haven't heard anyone on this board say that...
    We would do it gladly. What has Colombia done lately?

4. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Surely more then the US..... and don't include that sad showing in the last WC as an 'accomplishment' of any kind. The USSF is too ********y to even have you participate in a CAmerica. So until then, just zip it...

5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    we would go to every WC if we played Jamica too !! o wait u guys tied that game didnt u....

not saying us sucks, it just u guys have like a bye to get in the world cup eveyr single year. U can send ur sub 20s or sub 17s to go qualify and they will come in 2nd.... same with Mexico.

Then u guys say how great u are, but forget who u play !!! beating Costa Rica, Cuba and Puerto Rico is easy. Mexico scored over 10 goals in 2 games !!!! u think theyll be able to do that in the comenbol? NO not even brasil can do that.

As for tring to take away our copa america, why dont u just invite more teams to copa oro. Seriously comenbol invites the US team all the time and u guys always say no, SA is unsafe.

Inviting more and more concacaf teams wont do anything for us, will help u guys but will be just a joke. the copa america is already a joke any way that no one takes seriously. Its just another place to test sub 20 players for most teams

6. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Colombia Copa America 2004 peru
    team
    PLANTEL

1 -Castillo Calcedo, Bréinner Clemente ARQ

2 -Henao Valencia, Juan Carlos ARQ

3 -Gonzáles Rodríguez, Andrés Felipe DEF (sub 20)

4 -Palacio Álvarez, Haider Guillermo DEF (later went on to start 2 games at end of qualifers)

5 -Dinas, Arley DEF (no clue who this guy is, prob another sub 20)

6 - Orozco, Andrés Felipe DEF ( this guy is awful)

7 - Martínez, Gonzálo DEF

8 - Victoria, Gustavo DEF ( played in turkey, coach wanted to see if was good, never played a qualifer)

9 - Sinisterra, Braman DEf (was player in Germany that never played on his club or nt)

10 - Aguilar Tapias, Abel Enriques VOL (18 yrs old, Capt of sub 20, best player in the tournie for us as well as the only one who played well in the Copa Oro for us, very good never played in a qualifer tho, future star, plays in italy now. )

11 -Díaz Asprilla, óscar VOL (guy is like 40, i think it was jsut so he can retire)

12 - Amaya Pardo, José Antonio VOL (sub 23, never played a qualifer)

13 - Castrillón Vásquez, Jaime Alberto (sub 23, found out he plays very well for NT )
    VOL

14 -Morantes Londoño, Néider Yesid VOL

15 - Patiño, Jairo VOL ( played for River Plate but was injured, called up to see if what his form was)

16 - Viáfara Mina, John Eduis VOL (he might have been a starter in qualifiers not sure? or was fighting for his postion)

17 - Ferreira Rico, Arturo David VOL(very good player, never got a shot to play in a qualifier even tho called up)

18 - Perea, Edixon DEL (sub 20, now plays for france, never a starter during qualifer but scored a few goals and was called up during the last few games for us)

19 -Herrera Month, Sergio Darío DEL (SUb 23, great striker now plays in brazil)

20 - Murillo Amor, Elkin DEL

21 - Congo, Edwin DEL (went to Real Madrid, score 1 then never played again, this guy got lost in europe, and never was the promise he was supose to be)

22 - Moreno Baldrich, Malher Tressor DEL ( was awful in the postion the coach put him in, played the last 5 games of qualifer as our #10 and was very very good as a midfielder)

7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Colombia WC Qualifer around same time agaisnt Peru

COL

1. CALERO Miguel
    2. CORDOBA Ivan
    3. YEPES Mario
    4. VIVEROS Alexander
    6. VARGAS Fabian
    8. OVIEDO Frankie
    9. ANGEL Juan Pablo
    14. PEREA Luis
    15. VIAFARA John (went to copa america)
    17. PATINO Jairo (not a starter, not a starter yet)
    20. BEDOYA Gerardo
    22. MONDRAGON Farid
    11. MURILLO Elkin
    16. OROZCO Andres
    18. RAMIREZ Juan
    19. GRISALES Freddy
    21. FERREIRA David (copa america but not a starter on NT)
    23. HERRERA Sergi (copa america but not a starter on NT)

So as u can see our Copa America team was a B-C list team of players that werent even subs for our qualifer team and we finished 4th.. Mexico brought Sanchez, Marquez, Borgetti, Omar Bravo and didnt even make it far

8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, if you start bringing up an individual tie against Jamaica (we've never lost to them if i'm not mistaken) I don't imagine we have much common ground.
    We don't run the USSF, if I did, the US would have been at most if not all Copa Americas. I also don't run the Gold Cup. I was just responding to your insinuation that US fans don't think we can beat Colombia or do well in qualifying if the two confeds merged.
    Our U-20s would probably not qualify (maybe some years they'd get the 4th spot). Many CONCACAF teams are not that great on the road but very good at home.
    No one said all of CONCACAF teams are great. Most aren't, but in the hexagonal its not as easy as you think... but it IS too easy for the US to progress as much as we need to.
    As far as Mexico scoring 10 goals in two games, i'm pretty sure no one thinks they would do that in CONMEBOL.
    Stop putting words in our mouths.
    I will say this (and you can quote me). The US would still qualify regularly if the merged confederation got 8 spots. It would likely still regularly do it with 7. When we get down to 6 i'm not as confident.

9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    if we merged and there they gave us 9 spots u might. but if they just give us 7 like they most likely would.. US would not qualify directly. I see it more as they would give us 7 direct and 2 that have to play the worst asian team and the worst african team. We would def beat both and would qualify with 9 each team. I also think US would qualify every single time if we merged but u would qualify near the end and some times end up having to play the 4th of asia or africa. Nothing against US but SA teams r really really hard. Even boliva is not as bad as everyone makes them out to be, its just really hard to qualify with the likes of brasil and argentina and then all the other team are good too. Even venezulea has come up big in the last 4 years. there club teams are doing better and better in our competitions and there national teams is no longer in last place

10. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    one thing tho, other than US and Mexico what about the other teams in the concacaf? I respect both these 2 teams they arent awful but what about guatamala, and honduras who have a chance to qualify each time. What do u think will happen to them.

The thing is if Sa send there worst 2 teams to the NA they will fight for first place with US, MEx if we send Venezulea and Peru. IF NA sends Mex and US to Sa theyll be fighting for 5th place with Colombia and Uruguay.

that is just the truth of the matter. U guys wont finish on top cause brasil and arg are the best 2 teams in the world. Ecuador no one beats them in that altitude, Paraguay is just consistent.... I always count them out and they always finish on top. So its going to end up u guys are going to have to fight against the other teams in SA for ur spot. at hopefully getting the 5th spot and playing oceania to go to the cup

11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why in the world would they give two partial spots? That makes no sense? Yeah, Venezuela is getting better but the US and even colombia should beat them at home most of the time and get ties most of the time in Venezuela.
    What 7 teams are better than the US, and please don't use Colombia as one of them just cause you are from there... They are equal or the US is better at this point.

12. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1. brasil
    2. arg
    3. uruguay (had like 4 players on juventus, best striker in world forlan)
    4. paraguay
    5. ecuador (dont no how to lose at home, its not a word there home loss doesnt exist)
    6. mexico
    7. chile
    8. Us

if u look at the squads that those other teams have then ull def see that they are better than the US. US could be better if they had more european based players and or a better league. When u have like 40 year old players from SA on ur league thats sad. U need to pay ur players more and get younger SA players to be on ur teams

13. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chile? Are you Joking?
    The US is far better than Chile and as MLS improves and as more US players go to Europe it will get even better.
    I'm not sure what 40 year old players you are referring to... but if MLS has any older players its because the players want to play there. Some of them are there for marketing reasons.

14. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Chile has alot of good players in Europe like Pizzarro who starts for inter milan. Again chile doesnt qualify because they play great teams. Have a good defense, goalie, great mid fields and good strikers.

US is better than venezuela who is an up and coming team. Better than Peru who has amazing offense but is god awful every were else. There better than Boliva who is only good at home, and doesnt win every game at home like Ecuador does.

So u would qualify each time just u would come in close to last. that being said I think if US played in Europe it would be a diff story and ud qualify each time. If u look who england qualifies against. they qualify with like 5 countries taht should be part of england and then there biggest rival was Poland, who was beat 2-0 by Ecuador at the WC, and 4 days b4 the Wc lost to Colombia who used a B-list squad of young colombian league players 2-1.

O heist def utube that game cause our goalie scored from his net on the polish goalie... funniest thing ever !!! haha

15. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I don't think the US is far better than Chile. Having seen a couple of WC Qualifying games in Chile (on TV), I think the US would have problems beating Chile in Chile. If the US play Chile on neutral ground and I think the US would win.

16. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    It seems to be the perception that the US and Mexico get a bye into any WC tournament. While I'll admit 2006 was a relatively easy road to qualify for these two teams, this was not the case in 2002. If I remember correctly if Honduras drew Trinidad and Tobago at home in the next to last game of the hex, they would have made the World Cup. Costa Rica was already in. The US and Mexico would have been battling for the last qualifying spot! In an utterly bizarre result (at the time), TNT beat Honduras in Honduras. Honduras last game was at Mexico in Azteca. They had to beat Mexico to get in and they did not.

17. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I'm sorry, but can you tell me why the US would beat Chile? I'm seriously trying not to label you as a spazzo, but I cannot help but think that you are.

18. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

THAT IS SOOOOOOOO SAD THAT HONDURAS can knock u out.. at least when colombia gets knocked out we get eliminated by the 2x world champion uruguay with the help of the 2x champion argentina.

US has like 100 million + people, as does mexico honduras isnt even bigger than NYC no reason why thye should beat u

19. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Just my opinion. Though looking at what Chile has done recently, (drew the Ivory Coast and Sweden and beat Ireland) I may want to take back what I said.

Me a spazzo? Look at my posts concerning Ghana before the WC. I don't post all that much so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

20. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Hmm the same Honduras who in 2001 (I think) beat Brazil in the Copa? It may not have been Brazil's A or B team but it must count for something. Honduras was pretty good at that time.

By the way I was off. If Honduras defeated Trinidad at home, with Mexico drawing Costa Rica that same round, it would have been Mexico that would have been in the most trouble.

Hey, by the way Holland isn't that big of a country either; yet you won't find too many people saying its so sad that Holland can knock you out.

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how everyone makes the cup... all around the world. Win at home and take points on the road when you can.

22. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Although I respect your opinion, I constantly see both teams play and I have no problems admitting that Chile can beat the US at home AND on neutral ground. Our current midfield and offense are superior in every way.

Sadly, it's been a while since the US and Chile have played against each other so we won't know what's the real deal until the USA accepts those invitations.

23. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    It's pretty much a fact. Concacaf is a weak conference.

24. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    although it was at club level, DC United (USA's top team) tied at US HOME vs UCatolica and lost in Chile... This would likelyy be the outcome in NT play as well.

25. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    U have to be realistic... like me Colombia cant beat Brazil at home or away... we can beat argentina at home and tie away, or beat them in nuetral ground. US cant say the same... the best u can say is we can go to Mexico and tie, we can beat them in the US. We can say well go to mexico with a sub 20 and win, and have. As many SA teams can say.

when honduras beat brasil, brasil had a joke team... that was awful think they only won like 2 games. Again Copa America is a joke !!! our teams send just young players and hope they can play well, or just use european players no one knows about, to see if there good or not. they are not a place to bring an all star team, u save that for qualifers, that take forever to finish