Makaay or Van Nistelrooij

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by balla, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Who would you rather have in your team??? The great Bayern striker or the Manchester United one?

2. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Makaay
    simply because I really really really really really really really really really really
    really really really really really really really really really really really really don't like ManU ;)

I think it would be a toss up to tell you the truth, I guess depending on the formation. I don't know if they have played well together, i.e., I am not sure they complement each others style. Maybe Neeskens can speak to this a bit more. I think the Dutch team being all 4-3-3 an all prefer Van the Man.

3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Depends on your formation. In a 442, Makaay. In a 433 or a lone striker, Ruud

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would take Makaay because it seems he is more consistent right now. Plus, Makaay can score in a larger number of circumstances than Ruud. Ruud can't score from outside the box, whereas Makaay can score from within or the outside especially well.

5. LordR

LordR Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Germany
    I would take van Nistelrooy. Makaay is world-class, but I have to admit that RvN is a bit better.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Ruud because he's meaner, harder-working and mentally tougher than Makaay.

7. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Mentally tougher than Makaay? I can`t think of a mentally tougher player than Makaay, not even van Nistelrooy.

Now this is really a tough question.

8. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    You really think so?

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yes. Ruud can be a nasty SOB on the pitch, Makaay not so. And in the position of striker you need to be a nasty SOB more than in any other position. As for physical toughness: I can't see Makaay scoring a goal like Ruud did against Germany (being man-handled while he scored) at Euro 2004.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Please leave your sexual innuendos out of this discussion and clean your seat, you wet it.

11. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Not to rile you, cuz I just have not seen a lot of this, but is Rudd a diver?--and not like that is special in todays game.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He is a bit but so are most strikers. And with some reason. If Van Basten had dived a bit more his career would probably have lasted longer.

Anyway that same Van Basten always says Makaay doesn't work hard enough in training, that's the main reason that he always picks Ruud over him.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yawn.

14. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    I find that hard to believe--I wonder what is up with that? Especially since Ruud really has not been his usually self this year, though it does seem he is breaking out of that spell lately

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

Tired? Look in the mirror. :D

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I just think Makaay is a bit more mellow than Ruud in training and on the pitch. It's just bad luck that Van Basten is more into the passionate aggressive type.

17. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Roy is more mellow, isn't he? Too bad they can't be on the same pitch together.

18. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Physical toughness, probably.

But you said he was mentally tougher, which I find hard to believe.

19. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes and Ruud is also the person most likely to injure someone foolishly and on purpose (ex: Cole). Now who wants that? You can't get any more professional than Roy Makaay.

20. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a tough argument. Where as I would say as a coach, which ever one of these style of players is best suited for my team, I am inclined to somewhat agree with Johan Neeskens.

I see Makaay as a more finesse striker that will punish you for your mistakes by placing the ball out of reach of a keeper 9 out of 10 times. A predator if you will... hangs out on the offsides line and sneaks through for a clinical finish, or simply puts away anything that is played right in his path. I would compare him to more of a Klinsmann type striker.

I see RVN as someone that strikes fear in all those that defend him. This isn't to say that Makaay doesn't, but Ruud's quality is different from Makaay's. I see Ruud as that guy will to head the ball through another defenders skull just to see it hit the back of the net, flip himself sideways just to get a toe on the ball and redirect it, or simply ripped the ball from its roots on the ground until the entire first three rows behind the net all duck at the possibility that they may just in fact be lucky enough to be struck by the ball once it breaks through the net. In otherwords, he is a bad-ass that will do whatever it takes to finish. I don't know who I would compare him to really... he has an interesting blend of talent, strength, speed, cunning, and nastiness. Someone you would almost love to hate if you weren't a fan. You know?
    (hummmm.... Maradona?)

21. Rui Costa

Rui Costa New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Makaay scored a great volley in the champions league recently againest Ajax I think which made me get up off of my seat it was so amazing!...this is indeed a tough question but I'd probably go for Van Nistelrooy, he looks more eager somehow, but maybe thats because I've seen him play alot more.He has something like 35 goals in 36 champions league matches..whats Makaays record like?

22. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    RVN is faster and more powerful, while Makaay has better brain and skills.
    Both are great players but I think RVN is one whisker better than makaay

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I guess what I've been trying to say is that Ruud is more of a winner than Makaay. He'll do anything to win on the pitch, he'll cheat, kick defenders, dive, whatever it takes he'll do it. Like I said before he's probably one of THE most annoying strikers to play against for defenders. And for that reason alone a great man to have on your side.

As for footballing and scoring ability, I don't think there's much between the two.

24. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
    i dont have much of an opinion, i just want to tell everyone that this probably the most grown up discussion ive ever seen on any message boar, ever. congrats, im enjoyig this, keep it up!

25. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Does that fall in Total Voetball--or playing beautifully? :rolleyes: Just razzing ya--I would agree that Ruud is all those things that Roy is not, but I wouldn't say more of a "winner"---just simple agressive in ways that Roy is not.