Major League Soccer and Versus in Early Talks

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by monster, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, now Versus is a legitimate part of the discussion, instead of just some fantastical wet dream by someone who always thinks what you don't have is better.

But it's way more nuanced than the OP makes it out to be ... shocking, I know.

{Mod note, he's referring to an OP that's now in a different thread}

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: MLS tv ratings on ESPN2 down 23 percent

True, but we'd never heard of there being a link between them and MLS no matter how many people wanted to posit them as an alternative. They're in play now, regardless of where they fit in the mix.

And to latch on something I see in another post before, if you think MLS doesn't get advertised on other sports on ESPN, you don't watch enough of other sports on ESPN. Now, they may not doit as much as you like, but I have seen ads, bottom line teasers and occasionally a reader during MLB, NBA and other random things I may have on in the background.

3. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Right, I think it's only in the last year or two when this entered the realm of the plausible. For the first couple years it looked like the NHL deal might be mostly a failure for both the NHL and the channel, but it looks like it has finally kicked in to grow distro and ratings for the channel.

It's owned by Comcast, so there might be room for some synergies there, since Comcast and affiliated RSN channels show some of the individual teams' games.

Still, generally I find that the treatment of, and respect for, MLS by FSC in recent years has trended upward, so I wouldn't mind if we stuck with a relationship that could continue to grow. (As long as they pay the fee, that is.) Not a big fan of their production value, but that too is growing over time, and there's not necessarily a reason to believe Vs/Comcast would be so much better.

(In fact, Comcast also owns NBC now/soon, right? So in line with what tab5g has written, one of the synergies might be a possible future WC bid.)

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The other thing is that for all of what people say about Versus' promotion of the NHL, I don't ever recall seeing a single ad for their hockey package. I'm not so arrogant like others are to presume this means there is no promotion if I don't see it, but as someone who almost never watches the channel and is not that big of a hockey fan (outside of some interest in the Caps, who I usually watch on CSN), I can't say that I see Versus as some important entity which blows out promotion of its products.

There are obviously corporate ties that make each deal or possible deal interesting and make it worth watching as everything moves forward. But none of this really changes the reality that club soccer has proven itself to be a 150K-350K product. EPL Talk blathered about how the EPL on ESPN2 would destroy MLS, but yet both leagues have ratings in pretty much the same range on that network. The EPL does do better on FSC, but it's not like they are week in, week out getting much above that window I mentioned above.

So while it's all well and good to say the Versus has some cool advertisements and has gotten 2 million or so for the Stanley Cup, there's nothing to suggest that simply moving to a new network with cool promotions will change the range of viewers that seem to enjoy watching club soccer on a regular basis.

So MLS on ESPN2 is down in the early going this season. It's the early going. I bet they are back between 225K and 275K by the end of the season like usual.

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

I'd have no problem with Vs. stepping in to fill (and improve upon) HDnet's MLS vacancy as a 4th national broadcaster. again, that assumes Vs has that interest in being a paying broadcast partner with MLS/SUM.

there's no real reason, in my mind, why SUM/MLS couldn't have national broadcast deals with all of Disney/Univision/Fox/Comcast(Vs.), as for a few years there, SUM/MLS had national broadcast deals with all of Disney/Univision/Fox/HDnet.

and, as you note, if NBC (if they're bought by Comcast) does want to get involved with soccer (and FIFA rights specifically) having some MLS coverage on Vs will/should certainly help their cause, it would appear.

either way, more and more companies being involved with soccer (and paying larger and larger rights fees for broadcast rights) is a very good thing.

NBC's bid to Fifa was an encouraging thing (even for MLS). it forced Disney and Univision to both up their bids to Fifa and to up their involvement with MLS/SUM (thanks to FIFA broad approach to the game in this market).

6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

a very reasonable post.

and as for that last point, I completely agree. and the title of this thread is rather misleading. "ratings" are consistent -- as far as I can tell at the household level. but early in this season it is the persons (viewership) average number (or estimate as the case may be with Nielsen) that is "down 23 percent" when compared to the 2009 full-season viewership average.

MLS ratings are what they are. (yet the business of the league continues to grow -- perhaps in no small part because of FIFA's positive involvement and reinforcement.)

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And none of this gets into the vagaries of ratings and demographics and how these deals are actually done and what constitutes success.

The numbers we get mean jack, except in a public relations sense.

8. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

The advantage that Vs has over FSC is that Vs is available on the regular cable package in most cases, while FSC is usually part of the sports tier. That's a huge advantage.

The other promising development (in addition to Comcast purchasing NBC) is the idea of building Vs up into a national competitor for ESPN. Even if it's a weak competitor, that's a good thing for MLS.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unless things have changed recently that's not completely accurate. 2 years ago when I was a Cox subscriber I had to get the higher package to get both FSC and Vs. Now that I'm on Comcast (which owns Vs.) I get Vs. as part of the standard expanded basic. For a few months recently you couldn't even get Vs. on DirectTV.

10. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

I know Versus doesn't have the distribution of ESPN, but it's miles better than FSC. (Is there any provider that gives FSC as a 'normal' channel outside of a sports tier?) Something is better than nothing.

Sure, Comcast includes it because they own it - but Comcast also has a huge number of subscribers. The Versus/DirecTV spat was because DirecTV wanted to move the channel to a sports tier, and Vs wanted to stay in the more widely distributed package. Versus eventually got to stay once they worked out the finances.

To the earlier points about production values, Versus has done a very nice job with the NHL after a rocky start.

11. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MLS would be silly not to go to versus...they would see promotion to college basketball, football, MMA, cycling, Hockey, sailing, bull riding, minor league baseball, and basketball.

I wonder how many mls fans would be mad when the nhl playoffs are on...and for a period versus has an AD on the glass for the up coming MLS match.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As opposed to the promotion to college basketball, football, basketball, major league baseball, college baseball, auto racing, and the EPL they get now on ESPN? Or the promotion they get to other soccer fans on FSC?

13. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. They are on espn until 2014....however a poster in a diff. forum here said ESPN can put the contract under review after this year..so they are still on ESPN.

2. do you really think the soccer fans on FSC care? MLS is getting 58K viewers per game there...that is nothing....versus guarantees the product is in more homes....

Versus growing extremely fast...MLS is averaging 193K veiwers in 2010 on ESPN2.....I don't understand this fear that MLS can't survive without ESPN..which pays 8 mil a year..that is nothing.

MLS needs to get there product built on local RSNs anyways...oh well

14. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007

that's true, but mls still has to make its choices about the tv exposure that would be best. the rest will follow with time...
    imo at this point mls isn't a good fit on espn, and i'd be happy if they could migrate to vs (although i know, it's really the fsc contract that's up).
    espn live sports are of two sorts: top-class major league, or stuff like ncaa volleyball and softball. on the espn menu, mls is neither fish nor fowl.
    vs, otoh, imo is more like the niche destination for the niche sport. and now that the nhl finally seems to have gotten traction, mls could ride those coattails.
    i don't resent that espn doesn't do more for mls, whatever it may be. although i get the feeling that their efforts on behalf of mls are perfunctory, i must say i can't blame them.
    i hope there isn't a factor of self-flattery about the mere fact of being on espn among mls fans or, worse, in the league office. mls just isn't a espn-type product, imo.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hmm, who's likely to be more interested in MLS. Soccer fans or bull riding fans...

16. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I understand your premise.

however Soccer fans will go out of there way to get FSC...

like hockey fans will go get versus even if they have to pay more.

maybe MLS can keep FSC and go to versus.

however exposing yourself to 54-58K MLS fans on FSC isn't much differnt then exposing your product to double the amount of homes.

and it's pretty clear with Comcast buying NBC/Universal that versus will be in more homes over the next couple of years.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

You remember when TLC used to stand for The Learning Channel? Remember when Spike used to be The Nashville Network?

[​IMG]

Times change. Channels change. Hairstyles change. Interest rates fluctuate.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed, but Sportsfan1 specifically mentioned the opportunity to advertising during bull riding as a reason Vs. was a better option than FSC.

19. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

If you read the Broadcasting and Cable article "between the lines", you would have figured out the real reason why MLS is talking to Versus:

FOX Sports International has essentially told MLS that FSI will NOT offer MLS a rights fee to renew MLS Saturday in 2011.

That has been my suspicion for several months after seeing the average viewership for MLS Saturday on FSC stagnate at below 100,000 viewers for 3 seasons (2007-2009). The 2010 season won't get much better.

I checked with a long-time industry source today. He confirmed my suspicion.

MLS really has no choice by to shop the Saturday package around to Versus (and possibly other parties). FSI won't pay $2 million each season for the package after 2010.

(The other domestic products on FSC that draw similar viewership compared to MLS, i.e. NSCAA, WPS, and USL, all have to pay FSI for TV time.)

==

The NHL went through this when ESPN, Inc. told the NHL "no more rights fee" when the lockout ended in 2005. The NHL went to Comcast and got a deal done to go to OLN (now Versus).

If Versus were willing to pay MLS $2 million/season, MLS would be crazy not to make the jump from FSC to Versus.

20. SonicDeathMonkey

Atlanta United
    Jun 24, 2008
    Conyers, Ga.
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: ESPN ratings down 23%

FWIW, Versus just set a high mark with NHL on cable last night.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/

Versus has certainly come a long way in a realitively short amount of time with the NHL. Perhaps the same could happen with MLS.

21. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Perhaps. Is it the network or the event though? Game 2 on NBC blew old numbers away. NBC's playoff numbers have been doing really well. Is Versus doing a great job or is the NHL just more popular because of the Olympics and some intriguing matchups this year?

The trap is for soccer fans to look at something else doing well and assume if you plug MLS in there, it will translate the same way. College football was down slightly in 09 on Versus and their IRL numbers were stagnant in 09. They are an intriguing possibility and possibly a god negotiating ploy for MLS vs. FSC, but it's not a slam dunk like some people want to make it up to be. Besides, all these NHL gains means they weren't doing as well in past years.

The audience for MLS has pretty much been defined and likely won't change drastically in a short period of time regardless of what network they get put on.

22. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The increase in the NHL numbers mostly has to do with the two teams in the final.

23. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

What negotiating ploy?

Unless MLS were willing to buy time again, FSC will be rid of MLS after this November. My long-time industry source made it very clear to me that FSI overpaid for MLS for 2007-2010 and will NOT do that again.

FSC has no need for MLS, and vice versa, now that FSC will have access to content from Premier League TV to fill TV time.

If Versus were willing to offer $2 million a year to MLS for the MLS Saturday Night package, MLS would be foolish not take the money.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

huhe, you might be right, but your track record suggests that skepticism is OK, too.

25. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006

Which is the most important observation IMO. But will someone pay for that audience?