Mags vs. WBA [R] 22/04/06 Game Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by tigerdave, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    We are SCARY good.

But all of our wins have been against lack-luster competition.

As we have shown in the past, against the bigger clubs, we seem to have some sort of inferority complex.

no matter, next season is going to be AWESOME!

CL for sure.

2. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Shola Shola with a brace. Ameobi in your face.

3. mdfc

mdfc Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we just would have taken care of business against the "lackluster" competition in the 1st half of the season we would be in the CL next year!!!

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol sweet chant

5. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    They just come to me. :D

6. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So...what did you guys think of Matty Pattison's debut peformance?

My friend and I were watching the game, and said, "Who the hell is that?", and we soon found out he is South African aswell!

I don't know if we were focussng on him because of his nationality, but he REALLY impressed us. I really want to see more of him play, because he really caught my attention.

7. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Best home performance in a long time. Such a gulf in the teams you could tell there was only going to be one winner.

Player Ratings

Given - Nothing to do and did it well, good game for the captain

Carr - Did well, looked good going forward with Solano nothing to do in defence

Moore - MoM and deserved it, did nothing wrong all match like a CB should

Bramble - Same as Moore and made some crunching tackles. Also made some blinding passes:D

Babyaro - Same as Carr

Faye - Clearly not NUFC quality but he was ok, he'll be gone in the summer

Pattison - Has been tipped for good things since about 15 and he proved he can play well against the lower teams, whether he can against the bigger teams only time will tell. He's only 19 so he has plenty of time to get better. Good stuff!

Solano - Should have scored with his shot but got one anyway. Good performance but he was in the shadow of a young man named Charles

N'Zogbia - Ruled the pitch, by far and away the best player on the field. He's only just turned 19 but he's better than players in their prime. After Rooney this is the best U-23 player in the League, no questions. Forget about all the hype about players like Lennon because he isn't good enough to clean his boots. The next Zidane.

Rocky - Another good game and should have got a goal, I'd keep him on for another year.

Shola - Same old Shola, always scoring. More goals than Peter "England quality" Crouch and just a better player. If England want a big man up front with Rooney or Owen....pick Shola. Just watch him compared to Crouch, he has so much more skill on the ball, more pace, better shots, better movement and more goals in a poorer team. BUT, thanks to the endemic hypocracy in the English team and media this will never happen.

8. toon_soldier_86

toon_soldier_86 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    THE BAY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    Pattison had a great pass to set up the goal by shola.

100% true on charles!!!

the best thing that happend to shola this year was owen being out.
    he really grew up. his last goal was a great dip on the defender to a great finish. i dont think that he could have done that during the begingin this season. we should by far keep him, and he is way better than crouch as a striker:D

9. Zaphkiel

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    Shola is an AMAZING talent.

Zoggy is just...well Zoggy.

I think we have to keep Zoggy, I don't want to lose him to Chelsea or Manchester or Arsenal or anybody like that. Stay in newcastle.

Pattison impressed me lots, I think he's a keeper.

Chopra is good, Luque is good...our strike force is set with Ameobi and Owen upfront.

Yeah, Owen going out is the best thing that could of EVER happened to Ameobi.

I just hope he doesn't get star struck again when he comes back.

10. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shola????? = Fools GOLD

I want some insurance before I buy that New Mexican beachfront property.

Don't be fooled we need upgrades upfront and in the back. Bring back Milner and let Butt take Faye's place and we should be ok in the middle.

11. toon_soldier_86

toon_soldier_86 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    THE BAY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland

We do need upgrades but shola has erned a place up front. good idea's for the mid and a radical change for the back are nessisary for uefa for sure but, CL?:D

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shola should be the third or fourth striker in my opinion. A starter in a pinch but not the new #9.

13. Zaphkiel

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    I think EVERYONE knows that.

there is no new number 9.

We don't know yet.

Give him a few more games.

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Owen, Shola, Luque, and Chops are our first team forwards who's ready to go into the 2006/2007 season with that strikeforce?

15. mdfc

mdfc Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not buying it. If reports are true, and Roeder is getting the job, you have to figure Luque is done. He didn't play him last week vs. WBA, and he never woulda scored vs mackems if Shearer didn't get hurt.

We must sign a top shelf striker to knock down balls for Owen to run onto. Shola has done well the last few weeks, but he still misses 2 sitters for every one he scores. As Jaypro said, he is a perfect #3 striker. And he has certainly had plenty of games to show what he can/can't do. (28 premiership app this year)

16. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, agreed, agreed!

I'm still torn as to if we should buy international like Kuyt or Martins, or stay within the English leagues. I don't know if there're enough elite strikers for us to prise one from another team, though. AJ? Maybe. I was high on Earnshaw, but now I'm not so sure. Bellamy would look pretty good right now, were it not for him blowtorching all his bridges. Viduka doesn't count. As I said in another thread he's a #3 striker and we already have two of those. I don't even know if James Beattie, who I personally rate as a good #2 'something out of nothing' striker, would ever be available from Everton.

17. Zaphkiel

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    Maybe we can scout around during the world cup and get a good striker from one of the lesser known countries.