Magpies close in on Kluivert

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by MightyBees, Oct 20, 2003.

1. MightyBees

MightyBees New Member

Aug 16, 2003
    London, England
    Newcastle have stepped up their bid to sign Barcelona striker Patrick Kluivert.
    Magpies chairman Freddie Shepherd was at the Nou Camp on Sunday for specific talks with Barcelona president Joan Laporta following Barcelona's home defeat at the hands of Deportivo La Coruna.
    Injured Kluivert did not play in Barcelona's 2-0 defeat and has not yet scored for the Catalan club this season.
    That has led to jeers of frustration from the Catalan fans and Laporta could be tempted to cut the club's losses on the 27-year-old striker, whose current Barca deal runs until 2005.

That renegotiated deal saw his annual salary of more than £4m halved, but also slashed the buy-out clause in his contract from a prohibitive £25m to a relatively modest £1.3m release fee.

"It's true there is interest in signing Kluivert," Rijkaard told Catalan television on Sunday.

"I want to speak with Patrick to see how he feels and what it is he wants. Depending on what he tells me, we'll see whether it's better for him to go or stay."
    "I do have confidence in Patrick's talent. He's a great player but he's suffering a lot in the Nou Camp. When he runs out, it seems the crowd are waiting for his first miss and that's negative for him and for the team."

Kluivert was linked with a summer move to Manchester United, a rumour fuelled by Ruud van Nistelrooy's claims that his Dutch international team-mate could be poised for a move.

But Laporta insists it will take a big offer from Newcastle to lure Kluivert away.

He added: "Newcastle came here to invite us to play in a pre-season tournament and, while they were here, they asked us about Kluivert's situation.

2. melwood

melwood New Member

Oct 4, 2003
    Latest on Football365.com, he's not moving to Newcastle. They way I see it, he'll probably end up in Chelsea.

Why???????????

Because that's where the money is. And right now, Chelsea is like the Real Madrid of EPL.

3. givemefootieanyday

givemefootieanyday New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Swindon
    watching sky at the moment and shearer and kluivert are sitting next to each other as studio guests... sign of things to come or wishful thinking??!? ;-)

4. Lewin9

Lewin9 Red Card

Oct 23, 2003
    Ellistown, UK
    Kluivert-Shearer

I noticed this last night on Sky too, and you're telling me that the subject didn't get talked about between the 2 of them, or that Shearer's not told him what a great club Newcastle is ?

Deano.

Got anything to say about English football ?
    Then come and join us at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EnglishFootball/

and let us know your thoughts on anything that concerns the English game.