Mack Ward in Sweden

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by arsenalfc08, May 7, 2011.

1. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    There is a guy named Mack Ward a defender playing for Friska Viljor FC in the Swedish 3rd division (5th division).

His bio on the club website doesn't say much else except his last club was the Dallas Texans. I can't find anymore info http://www.friskaviljor.se/Spelare_visa.cfm?ID=1731

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thinking this is Mackenzie Ward, an '88 who transferred from St. John's to Clemson and played for the Tigers in the fall.

3. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    The goalkeeper T.S. Noble also seem to be an american. Apologies if there is already a thread on him though.

http://allehanda.se/sport/fotboll/1.2802575-fv-varvar-malvakt-fran-usa

Article says that an american christian organization is paying his wages and not the club while he's at Friska Viljor. Apparantly it's called a "sports missionary" and he will be doing charity work as well when he's not playing.

Friska Viljor is a decently successful lower league club, I remember them playing in Superettan (second tier) not too long ago.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Their player Alex Spires could also be a guy from Illinois who played JuCo ball in 2009.

5. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Thanks Dave. I wondered if Noble was an American when I saw his name and that his last club was Shreveport F.C.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  7. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    I had almost forgotten about these guys but fortunaly I just saw that they played in the promotion playoff to the fourth tier this past weekend after finishing runner up in their league. Unfortunaly they lost and will not be promoted.

Noble have acted as a backup keeper throughout the season, starting one game. Ward on the other hand played 18 out of 22 games. According to the forum on their site he was also suspended for a short while for having some kind of angry breakdown in a reserve game. With four goals and six assists during the season he seems to have done very well other then that though and he is also refered to as "the defensive boss" in a newsarticle and the teams "defensive rock" in an article on the official website.

And finally to offer a rare glimpse into the world of swedish fifth tier football I also found this highlights video of Ward posted below, including a couple of his goals:

8. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    A recent article in the local paper writes that the team will have two foreign players this season, one of them being Ward and the other a guy from Kenya. So I guess that Noble has returned to the US.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  9. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [​IMG]

Seems like it's been an eventful season for Ward who is now the team captain (and is pictured in yellow/black stripes above). After a second place finish last year things took a turn for the worse this season and Friska Viljor found themselves facing relegation only to magically escape with a one point margin after winning the last two league games. They still had to face relegation playoffs though but that proved no problem and the contract was saved this past weekend.

Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999