Lyon vs Liverpool - CL - Nov 4 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Grinners89, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    UEFA Champions League - Matchday 4
    Olympique Lyon vs Liverpool FC

[​IMG][​IMG]

Venue: Stade de Gerland, Lyon
    Time: 7:45pm GMT
    Time Converter

Current Standings (group E)

1. Lyon (played 3, won 3, drawn 0, lost 0, points 9)
    2. Fiorentina (played 3, won 2, drawn 0, lost 1, points 6)
    3. Liverpool (played 3, won 1, drawn 0, lost 2, points 3)
    4. Debrecen (played 3, won 0, drawn 0, lost 3, points 0)

Liverpool Injuries
    Gerrard - groin
    Riera - hamstring
    Kelly - ankle
    El Zhar - knee
    Skrtel - virus
    Agger - virus
    Aquilani - virus
    Degen - not registered for CL squad

Possible Starting XI's

Lloris
    Reveillere - Cris - Toulalan - Cissokho
    Pjanic - Makoun - Kallstrom
    Govou - Lisandro - Bastos​

Reina
    Johnson - Carra - Agger - Aurelio
    Lucas - Masch
    Yossi - Kuyt - Babel
    Torres​

Form

Lyon - WLWLW

Liverpool - LLWLL

Key Players

Lyon: Michel Bastos, Lisandro Lopez, Sidney Govou

Liverpool: Fernando Torres, Yossi Benayoun, Glen Johnson

Two wide men and a centre-forward will hold the key for both sides. Bastos and Johnson, the flying wing-men, capable of killing teams on the counter attack, as well as using their skill on the ball and change of pace to beat players 1 vs 1. Benayoun and Govou will be more 'cunning' in their attempts to open up opposition defences. While both are in their 30s, their experience is invaluable in a situation like this. Finally, Torres and Lopez will hold the key not just in the ability to hold possession deep in enemy territory, but to put away the limited chances they are likely to get. Apart from these 6 key attacking players, the central midfielders and central defenders for both sides will also be crucial. One mistake is all that is needed to turn a game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTfpn_xsKhE"]YouTube - Sons Of Shankly[/ame]

When you walk through a storm
    Hold your head up high
    And don't be afraid of the dark
    At the end of the storm
    Is a golden sky
    And the sweet silver song of a lark
    Walk on through the wind
    Walk on through the rain
    Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown
    Walk on, walk on
    With hope in your heart
    And you'll never walk alone
    You'll never walk alone​

2. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: Lyon vs Liverpool - CL - 4th November [R]

Story time kiddies :)

Liverpool - by Brian James.

Our players really need to get back to basics. Im not talking about the basics such as passing, running with the ball or defending. Im talking about their love of the game, their love for football...something that should never leave them. Moments like Torres jumping up and celebrating Ngog's goal vs the Mancs...or Reina's celebrations after every single goal we score. Players that love the game...not "pretend" professionals who think too much about themselves.

Thats all I want out of this season...to see the players enjoying the best game in the world again and enjoying success with their teammates. First and foremost, I will be crushed if we dont win anything this season, just like every other season. However, I think all that hurt, that we are all feeling now more than a lot of us could probably remember, would go away if I could see us playing football. Not the shit we've shown so far. Real football.

Comparing what Ive seen so far this season (except for the Man Utd match) to the quotes from Emlyn Hughes, Paisley et al...it makes me really sad because I just cant see the same desire in a lot of our players. Im not talking about just the fringe players like Voronin, but some of our senior players have not been good enough in every aspect.

I can only hope it all changes. Now its up to the players.

3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if Gerrard is not fit again - 2 full weeks + 1 day later then we need someone other than Torres to stand up and be counted....

This is essentially a repeat of Marseille 2 seasons ago but it comes in game 4 instead of game 6.

4. PHootieD

PHootieD New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With Degen's not registered and Kelly is injured, if Glen doesn't recover we'll probably go with Carra at RB and bring Skrtel in to CB? Any word on N'gog or Aurelio for this game?

5. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Good luck for this crucial away game!

Do you think that Rafa might get fired if your guys don't manage to progress in the CL (and with 9 points lag to spot 1 in the EPL)? Would be a pity.

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Danke.

I don't think he'll be fired because there is no adequate replacement. He'll get to the end of the season but if he hasn't won anything by then he might very well be forced out.

Hey, theres always the Europa League. :eek: :D

7. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt

eh... we go through these "crises" every season -- not going to qualifying for europe, crashing out of the CL, rafa sacked/quitting, financial problems... we always pull ourselves through...

i'm not saying that one day these things won't happen, and i'm not saying that i'll be fine with it, but i'm not going to panic after hard loses, dumb rumors, stupid owners' actions... i expect us to win every match we play, i expect rafa to be here for many years, i expect a top 3 finish each season, and i expect us to legitimately challenge for each major trophy and nothing that the 'pundits,' fair-weather fans, and trollers say will make me think otherwise...

8. salesman

salesman Member

May 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Seoul

I don't know. Exactly one year ago, things were quite the opposite. Liverpool were on top of the table, with Arsenal and Chelsea both struggling for the CL spot, and safely surviving a tough CL group that included teams like Madrid and PSV.
    it wasn't until early this year when Liverpool began suffering too many draws and the team eventually lost the top position. and at this point, Rafa rumors began to circulate.
    I really think this is Rafa's last chance. the preliminary campaign is to die for and if he crashes out, not that i support it, he will be sacked.

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Nice thread start btw Grinners! ;)

In.

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    In.

Let's get a solid CL win. :)

YNWA. :)

11. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In. Very important match.

12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From The Times
    November 2, 2009
    Alyson Rudd, Tony Barrett

Injuries rock Rafael Benitez for Liverpool’s must-win Champions League tie with Lyons

Liverpool are facing huge problems with injuries before their Champions League tie against Lyons on Wednesday. Rafael Benítez could be without a dozen members of his first-team squad.

Anything other than victory in their group E match in France is likely to signal the end of Liverpool’s hopes of qualifying for the knockout stages of the Champions League.

The 3-1 Barclays Premier League defeat away to Fulham on Saturday was Liverpool’s sixth in seven games and the result heaped even more pressure on Benítez, whose decisions to substitute Fernando Torres and Yossi Benayoun during the second half were jeered by Liverpool fans.

Steven Gerrard, the captain, is still struggling with a groin problem that has restricted him to only 25 minutes of playing time in the past six fixtures, while Torres is being nursed through games. He also has a groin injury and is unlikely to play the full match in France.

Albert Riera, the Spain winger, has been absent for the past fortnight with a hamstring strain and Martin Kelly, the defender who featured in the 2-1 defeat against Lyons at Anfield two weeks ago, is out with a damaged ankle.

Glen Johnson, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger, Fábio Aurélio and David Ngog missed the match at Craven Cottage through injury and are all understood to be big doubts for Wednesday night. Diego Cavalieri and Alberto Aquilani have flu, while Philipp Degen was not named in Liverpool’s Champions League squad and is unavailable.

The severity of Liverpool’s plight was reflected by Jamie Carragher, who, along with Degen, was among the eight players sent off in the Premier League on Saturday, a record for one day in the top flight.

“We are aware that Fernando has a lot of problems with injury at the moment,” Carragher said. “We have seen what has happened with Steven Gerrard. The manager and the physios know that the longer Fernando stays on the pitch, the more chance there is of him getting further injured.

“If Fernando’s injury had got worse at the end then we would have virtually no one for Wednesday.”

Benítez said: “The question is, if you don’t play Torres from the beginning, you will be talking about why he is not playing, so it’s a difficult decision.

“We decided to start with him because he can do a proper warm-up but, after, we knew we needed to take him out at certain moments.”

Benítez’s job is understood to be secure as Liverpool’s owners acknowledge that the manager is battling a debilitating injury list that has been a significant contributing factor to his five Premier League defeats this season. Benítez, though, will not accept that those losses represent a fatal blow to his title hopes.

Asked if he would reconsider his future after the Fulham game, Benítez replied: “My future is against Lyons.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article6898899.ece

YIKES!

13. PHootieD

PHootieD New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our CL Roster (from uefa.com):
    Keepers: Reina Cavs (virus?), Hansen
    Backs: Johnson (calf) , Agger (virus?), Aurelio (virus?), Kyrgiakos, Insua, Carra, Darby, Kelly (ankle), Dossena, Skrtel(virus?)
    MF: Aquilani (virus) Gerrard (groin) Lucas Masch Riera (hammy) Benayoun, Spearing, Plessis, Eccleston
    Forwards Torres Voronin (blind) Kuyt Babel (lobotomy) Ngog(virus?) Amoo

so if all of those guys are out we've only got 18 fit and eligible players.
    Reina
    Darby--Carra--Kyrgiakos--Insua
    Benayoun--Masch--Lucas--Babel
    Kuyt--Torres
    Bench: Hansen, Dossena, Spearing, Plessis, Eccelston Voronin, Amoo

The back line and bench don't inspire much confidence. If we're behind and need subs we might be seeing Amoo and/or Eccleston

14. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In.

If we lose this game we can basically kiss this comp goodbye one would think. Massive game. With our recent run of form I can't see us getting full points here. :eek:

Hope we can surprise a few people as we did against United.......

15. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This injury list is really depressing me.

Agger had a back injury, not the flu, and Skrtel has a thigh injury, not the flu.

Cav - virus
    Johnson - calf
    Skrtel - thigh
    Agger - back
    Aurelio - virus
    Kelly - ankle
    Lucas - virus
    Aquilani - virus
    Gerrard - groin
    Riera - hamstring
    El Zhar - knee
    Torres - groin
    Ngog - virus

Thats a good team.

Cavalieri
    Kelly - Skrtel - Agger
    Johnson - Lucas - Aquilani - Aurelio
    Gerrard - Riera
    Torres​

Subs: El Zhar, Ngog

We are seriously looking at playing one of the weakest sides seen since Rafa has been here.

Reina
    Darby - Carra - Kyrgiakos - Insua
    Lucas - Masch
    Babel - Benayoun - Dossena
    Kuyt​

Subs: Gulacsi, Ayala, Plessis, Spearing, Amoo, Voronin, Eccleston

I just cant imagine how bad this could be. Lucas, Masch, Yossi and Kuyt will need to be f***ing outstanding to help us win this.

16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

The yanks must have told him that defeat in the champions league was not palatable ... hence the cutting of his loses at Fulham.

I think not enough players have stood up to be counted most of the time, so far. I have a feeling that Benitez, much as against Reading a couple of years ago, gave up and saved his big guns for another day.

17. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Liverpool Football team is playing a game so I am in. Who knows what may happen

18. BenZ76.O.L

BenZ76.O.L New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    mmmm, these reporters work for the Times and they don't even know how to spell Lyon, pathetic. lol

19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agger injured his back AGAIN??? I thought the surgery was supposed to fix that. Oh well - I apologize to whoever said it several weeks ago that we souldn't count on him staying fit.

That said - I hope its just stiffness from having played 5 games in a row after not playing for ages.

This is ridiculous.

20. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

How I feel going into this match

21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Backs to the wall? Everybody and their bookie writing us off? What the bloody hell are we waiting for :D

22. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    after the smoke clears, and the 'last minute fitness calls' are made from the belichick-esque probables list... i anticipate lining up like this:

reina
    johnson... carra... agger... insua
    masch... lucas
    yossi... kuyt... aurelio
    torres...​

cav, aquilani, ayala, babel, ngog, dossena, voronin

just my feeling and inferences from the rafa-speak going on... and, at this point, the virus sufferers and those with minor knocks have two more days to recover...

23. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    A little depressing innitt?
    It's a must win or I'm afraid that we won't make it to the eliminations this time around. We have to play it like a cup final...again.
    Either Grinner's or Poo's team 'can' win this, they need motivation and determination to do it.

We already have the trolls and media making the most of our dificulties, we don't want to give them more fuel. DON"T anyone get sucked into that Sack Rafa thread that one arseholoe has started. That's just what they want
    edit: Never mind. Well done mods..:)

Nice opener Grinners, I hope the team can respond the way they should.

24. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I just pray we win this game, no matter who plays.

25. LiverMorgh

LiverMorgh Member

May 29, 2007

I think it has to do with something Pepe Reina talked about earlier in the season when he "wrote off our chances" - he didn't but it was the article that claimed as such. I think it was with Guillem. I think the players are a bit disappointed and down-hearted having to realise that no matter how they do they won't be on equal footing with the Uniteds, Chelseas and Citys of the world who can just spend and overtake all their effort.

edit: Here it is: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/12/pepe-reina-liverpool-premier-league-challenge